Trados: Is changing languages after installation possible?
Thread poster: Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:21
English to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 17, 2004

Hi,

I recently installed the Trados Freelance 6.5 for trying it for my work. While installing it asked for 5 languages and I didn't choose English assuming English will be added by default. And, now I find that English is not available in either Source or Target language options!

Is there a way that I can change my language selection now?

Anil Goyal
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Version 6.5.2.417 Oct 17, 2004

I am using Version 6.5.2.417 of Trados under Windows XP (SP2).

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Question Oct 17, 2004

Just out of curiosity, what's the big deal about reinstalling?

Best,
Esther

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
Local time: 02:51
English to German
+ ...
Freelance is restricted to 5 languages Oct 17, 2004

AFAIK, you are restricted to five languages and you have to choose them during installation and cannot change them later. There's no obvious reason for me why english should be added by default. With the same naturalness you could assume that chinese is added by default because it's the language with the most speakers in the world (+890 millions; english has "only" 320 millions).
As I have never used the Freelance Edition, I'm not sure, but maybe TRADOS writes the languages you have select
... See more
AFAIK, you are restricted to five languages and you have to choose them during installation and cannot change them later. There's no obvious reason for me why english should be added by default. With the same naturalness you could assume that chinese is added by default because it's the language with the most speakers in the world (+890 millions; english has "only" 320 millions).
As I have never used the Freelance Edition, I'm not sure, but maybe TRADOS writes the languages you have selected during installation into the windows registry? Maybe this is worth a try and then you could easily swith languages with a few .reg files. Just an idea!
On the other hand, re-installing should be no big deal as Esther writes
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:51
English to German
+ ...
Re-install Oct 17, 2004

Hi Anil,
I'm afraid you will have to reinstall. But that shouldn't be a problem - I never had any problems with installing Trados.

Best regards, Ralf

Anil Goyal
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados-language problem... Oct 18, 2004

Stefan Gentz wrote:

There's no obvious reason for me why english should be added by default. With the same naturalness you could assume that chinese is added by default because it's the language with the most speakers in the world (+890 millions; english has "only" 320 millions).

Well I expected English to be added by default much like my presumption that when I would double click on the "setup.exe" I would get an English interface for installation, not the Chinese.

Well, thanks to all for the valuable advice. I will re-install the software and will try to convince myself that it is better than old friend SDLX.

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:51
English to Dutch
+ ...
Changing the language settings in SDL Trados Mar 24, 2010

Since this thread keeps popping up in a forum search on the subject, maybe it's good to bump it to the top with an alternative answer, which you can find here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/148435-how_to_change_default_5_languages.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados: Is changing languages after installation possible?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »