Studio 2014 ribbon bug
Thread poster: philwhite
philwhite
philwhite
Local time: 14:09
German to English
Oct 3, 2013

For most blind and visually impaired users like myself, the move to a ribbon interface is always pretty disastrous. It is, however something we simply have to come to terms with.

The implementation in Studio 2014, however, is, quite frankly, amateurish.

In Studio 2011, it was possible to set the display filter to be shown permanently in the toolbar, so it was a simple matter of opening the drop-down list and choosing what segments you wanted displayed. Now I need t
... See more
For most blind and visually impaired users like myself, the move to a ribbon interface is always pretty disastrous. It is, however something we simply have to come to terms with.

In Studio 2011, it was possible to set the display filter to be shown permanently in the toolbar, so it was a simple matter of opening the drop-down list and choosing what segments you wanted displayed. Now I need the key combinations Alt+r+zd+l to open the same drop-down list. There are innumerable examples of functions being buried behind long strings of arcane keystrokes with the new ribbon.

But even this is the least of the problems (and is one that we have with any new ribbon interface). Unlike the Microsoft ribbons, the new Studio 2014 ribbon does not handle screen magnification. I work with the Windows 7 accessibility function that magnifies all my screens by 125%, and then use an additional screen magnifier to focus on the part of the screen I wish to read. However, the studio 2014 ribbon does not adapt to the 125% magnification, which means that many words are truncated beyond recognition and, crucially, entire entries disappear off the bottom of the ribbon. Thus, for instance, the Help system tells me that I can activate confirmation statistics in the editor from the View tab of the ribbon. This entry is, however, simply not present. It is present in the Project view, and I can only assume that it has dropped out of the ribbon in the Editor view.

Here is a screenshot of my ribbon:

This is catastrophic for me, because the missing entries simply do not exist. I cannot even see them to find out what the keyboard shortcuts are.

Ribbons are always a nightmare for me, but at least in other programs, they seem to be adaptive.

I can theoretically resolve this by returning the magnification to 100% and increasing the magnification on my screen magnifier, but then I lose the benefit of font smoothing,, and the text appears blocky, preventing me from reading it clearly. Either way, I lose.

This is a showstopper for me, and unless somebody knows of a workaround, I shall be forced to revert to Studio 2011.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Shortcuts for the display filter Oct 3, 2013

philwhite wrote:

Now I need the key combinations Alt+r+zd+l to open the same drop-down list.

Ctrl+F6 will take you to the filter box (and ctrl+AltF6 will clear it).
And to bring up the drop-down filter list, simply click once on the display icon that is permanently displayed on the status bar at the bottom of your screen.

However, the studio 2014 ribbon does not adapt to the 125% magnification

Yes, I agree this is a major problem for visually impaired users. Some dialog boxes in Studio 2011 didn't display correctly either, even at 110%.

philwhite
philwhite
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but no Oct 3, 2013

Thanks for the tips about the display filter shortcuts. Unfortunately, none of your suggestions work. Ctrl+F6 has no effect. Clicking the icon in the status bar also has no effect on my system. I assumed it was purely informative. Having said that, most shortcuts with Ctrl interfere with various other accessibility software that I have running in the background, so I tend to avoid them and use the old menu method with the Alt key, which will take me right into text boxes in dialog boxes and so ... See more
Thanks for the tips about the display filter shortcuts. Unfortunately, none of your suggestions work. Ctrl+F6 has no effect. Clicking the icon in the status bar also has no effect on my system. I assumed it was purely informative. Having said that, most shortcuts with Ctrl interfere with various other accessibility software that I have running in the background, so I tend to avoid them and use the old menu method with the Alt key, which will take me right into text boxes in dialog boxes and so on.Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If you get shortcut clashes... Oct 4, 2013

philwhite wrote:

Thanks for the tips about the display filter shortcuts. Unfortunately, none of your suggestions work. Ctrl+F6 has no effect. Clicking the icon in the status bar also has no effect on my system. I assumed it was purely informative. Having said that, most shortcuts with Ctrl interfere with various other accessibility software that I have running in the background, so I tend to avoid them and use the old menu method with the Alt key, which will take me right into text boxes in dialog boxes and so on.

... with other software then you have to either change the shortcuts on Studio or in the other software (if it will allow you). This is a tricky area when you use software that also interacts with Studio via shortcuts and we have no way of knowing what software you may have on your machine, and there is only a finite number of possibilities anyway.

So sometimes, if you have this problem a little time is needed to remove shortcuts for things you'll never use a shortcut for and assign them to the things you will so they don't clash with other applications you use.

Regards

Paul

philwhite
philwhite
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I need access keys, not shortcuts Oct 4, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

... with other software then you have to either change the shortcuts on Studio or in the other software (if it will allow you). This is a tricky area when you use software that also interacts with Studio via shortcuts and we have no way of knowing what software you may have on your machine, and there is only a finite number of possibilities anyway.

So sometimes, if you have this problem a little time is needed to remove shortcuts for things you'll never use a shortcut for and assign them to the things you will so they don't clash with other applications you use.

Regards

Paul

Yes, that is one reason why I tend to use the Alt key navigation rather than other shortcuts. But I can't see some of the functions on the ribbon to find out what the access keys are. Indeed, unless I know that a function ought to be there somewhere, I am unaware of its existence.

I thus need to know what the access keys are for the functions on the ribbon that I cannot see, but I can't tell you what I cannot see, because I cannot see it to know that it should be there...

It is quite possible that only a few functions are missing and that I would never use most of them anyway, but I just don't know.

I could take screenshots of every ribbon in every view (probably about 25 or so in total) and ask somebody to compare them for me so that I can identify the functions I may need and then learn the relevant access keys.

philwhite
philwhite
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Further ribbon bug Oct 21, 2013

I have just discovered another bug with the ribbon interface.

The access keys defined for the ribbon override any access keys defined in dialog boxes and wizards.

This means, for instance, when I am in the wizard for defining a project, and press Alt + A to add a file, I am instead taken to the Add-Ins ribbon.

Up to now I had only added folders, and had put down other instances of this bug (which occur in various places) to clumsy keyboarding.

... See more

The access keys defined for the ribbon override any access keys defined in dialog boxes and wizards.

This means, for instance, when I am in the wizard for defining a project, and press Alt + A to add a file, I am instead taken to the Add-Ins ribbon.

Up to now I had only added folders, and had put down other instances of this bug (which occur in various places) to clumsy keyboarding.

For all the shortcomings of Studio 2011, I think I have nevertheless had enough of Studio 2014. For me, as a visually impaired user, it is a step backwards.
Collapse

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Lost in the ribbon Feb 15, 2014

philwhite wrote:

In Studio 2011, it was possible to set the display filter to be shown permanently in the toolbar, so it was a simple matter of opening the drop-down list and choosing what segments you wanted displayed. Now I need the key combinations Alt+r+zd+l to open the same drop-down list. There are innumerable examples of functions being buried behind long strings of arcane keystrokes with the new ribbon.

I agree with this point. The display filter was one of the tools I greatly cherished and often used, and now it is always an odyssey to find it, since it is no longer directly available and even not directly in the menu ribbon, but hidden in a dropdown within the menu ribbon. I also regard this as a step back.

While you can open the filter via the status bar, you cannot use its settings, if you have set the ribbon to hide while working. In this case you can only enter a term in the filter and hit the enter button, but when you instead click on one of the settings buttons, e.g. to clear the filter, this only leads to the menu being hidden again without any action. Really awkward.

I also wonder why the two buttons for spell checking and checking went into a ribbon submenu when they at least in German would have taken the same space if directly in the ribbon. Another example of making things unduly complicated, in my opinion. It seems a little like someone was still playing around with the arrangement of the items in the ribbon, when suddenly the deadline ran out.

I hope there will be a way to customize things in the next version. And I keep my fingers crossed, that the ALT navigation will be fully available, which should be a basic standard and not a special feature.

René Stranz-Nikitin
René Stranz-Nikitin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Czech to German
+ ...
Shortcut clashes still not solved Oct 18, 2014

philwhite wrote:

Hi,

I just installed Studio 2014 SP1 into an entirely new installation of Windows 8.1 with Office 2010 an some other most necessary SW installed. Then I started to work on a legal Word document from Russian into German and the segments in my translation very frequently start with the letter D (der, die, das).

After some investigation I found the post above. I think it has quite a lot in common with the bugs I am experiencing now, and it is 1 year old!

I imported my user settings from Studio 2011 SP2 into Studio 2014 SP1 in the hope, that I will be able to use my beloved from other SW keyboard shortcuts. To move to the next segment and confirm the actual segment I had defined CTRL+ALT+POS1 and to move to the next non-confirmed segment I had defined CRTL+ALT+END. The shortcuts actually do what they are intended to do, so I really get to the needed segment. But when I then type in the letter D for "der, die, das" for instance at the beginning of the segment, the program only takes me to the stupid ribbon and activates the add-ins ribbon. But I need to type text into the segment, not to play with the ribbon!

I resolved the problem by taking out the ALT key from my most important keyboard shortcuts, but this still means, that I have to use different keyboard shortcuts in different programs and that slows me down.

As far as I understood the problem, Studio somehow doesn't "understand", that after pressing the keyboard shortcuts mentioned above and after it has executed my command (it went to the needed segment) it should "forget" about the fact, that I pressed the ALT key. It considers, that the ALT key is still pressed and it takes me to the stupid ribbon (add-ins with ALT+D) instead of letting me type in my translation into the needed segment. It eats up a lot of time, I have to use the mouse to take the cursor where it should be and yesterday I decided to translate the project in something else and to create the Studio package afterwards with the help of the TM created in the other SW. Horrible! Why do we use this SW at all?

So what I recommend is to make the program "understand", that the command associated with the ALT key was already executed and that Studio should forget about it !!! after that and do what the user expects (so that we are able to use keyboard shortcuts with the ALT key as usual), or to give us the possibility to switch of the ribbon shortcuts entirely (I really do not need them) or to switch of the ribbon entirely off and to use an interface similar to Studio 2011.

The tip to use ALTGR instead of CTRL+ALT unfortunately doesn't help much, because using only the right hand it is quite an acrobatic task and to move the left hand to the right side of the keyboard eats up too much time again and it is not worth it. Then it is easier to work with another CAT or to be free from CATs.

Thanks in advance for the attention of the Studio Gurus!

P.S.: Please note that English is neither my target language nor one of my source languages.

[Edited at 2014-10-18 19:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-10-18 19:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-10-18 19:56 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 ribbon bug

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »