William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:31
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Oct 29, 2013

Added the patch as prompted by Studio 2014

Tried to add a term to Multiterm

Was prompted to update Java. Did so. Now the window on the left opens then immediately closes
... See more
Added the patch as prompted by Studio 2014

Tried to add a term to Multiterm

Was prompted to update Java. Did so. Now the window on the left opens then immediately closes

GFoogled and found this:

http://translationtherapy.com/workaround-for-multiterm-2014-stopped-working-after-updating-to-java-7-update-45/

Followed instructions, deleted Java update 45, installed update 25

Makes no difference

Just the hour lost so far

[Edited at 2013-10-29 11:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-29 11:44 GMT]
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Disable next generation plug-in? Oct 29, 2013

You could try disabling the Java next-generation plug-in.

Control Panel - Java - Advanced tab - Clear "Enable the next-generation Java plug-in" - Save - Reboot.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself because Studio worked fine after the rollback from Java 45 to 25.

William Pairman
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Giles Oct 29, 2013

Giles Watson wrote:

You could try disabling the Java next-generation plug-in.

I tried this, now the window opens and closes as before, although I can see some sort of Java notification in the second its open

Still unable to add new terms of course

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
SDL Knowledge Base Oct 29, 2013

There's more on the issue here in the SDL Knowledge Base article 4956.

HTH

G.

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:31
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Try to lower Java Security Settings to Medium Oct 29, 2013

Just for testing purposes at first.
Do it from the Java Control Panel > Security tab.

William Pairman
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Shai Oct 29, 2013

That option isn't highlighted for me

Followed all the other KB advice, no change

What a hassle

William Pairman
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Update to Shai's advice... Oct 29, 2013

I was able to change the security setting to Medium by reactivating "Enable the Next Generation plug in

I got the Update Java warning, clicked Later and the Don't repeat this box

It works now, Termbase works now, thanks everyone

Does anyone know what effect messing about with Java updates might have on other applications?

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:31
English to Hebrew
+ ...
A comment Oct 29, 2013

In relation to Studio, there are two things to consider about Java:
1) It takes longer to add the first term to the editor view in each Studio session because now the digital signing of the components is verified (which causes this delay). This is a normal behavior of Studio, and the verification process means that it should work more reliably overall which less errors. Adding the second and next terms should be quicker and comparable to the speed typical to Studio 2011. I'm just mentionin
... See more
In relation to Studio, there are two things to consider about Java:
1) It takes longer to add the first term to the editor view in each Studio session because now the digital signing of the components is verified (which causes this delay). This is a normal behavior of Studio, and the verification process means that it should work more reliably overall which less errors. Adding the second and next terms should be quicker and comparable to the speed typical to Studio 2011. I'm just mentioning this to point out that the initial slowness is not a Java error and should be expected (even if not really desired).

2) MultiTerm integration relies on Java. The new Java update broke it. This is not SDL direct fault because they are not the ones developing Java. Personally, I would have liked to see Java gone long ago, but currently it is still here. Maybe Oracle will get their act together and from the next update everything will return to work as normal (with or without a complementary patch from SDL) or maybe SDL will come-up with a solution that will get rid of Java. I really can't tell.

The current workaround is not satisfactory in the long term because Java is known to have security vulnerabilities. That said, in the intern it should not be a significant concern.
As far as the effect on other program goes, it depends. If you have Java-based programs then it depends on what Java version they are optimized to work with. The new update is not a new major Java release and therefore no performance/functionality issues should arise. In general, many people don't have any other Java-based programs (some have few), so at the moment there isn't a reason to worry about it too much.

[Edited at 2013-10-29 21:45 GMT]
Collapse

William Pairman
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Shai and Giles Oct 29, 2013

Really helpful!

Binh Nguyen
Binh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 13:31
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
My solution: repair Multiterm Core Dec 8, 2013

I had tried all suggestions above including update Trados with the latest hotfix, then I decided to repair install Multiterm (instead of reinstall) from Add or Remove a Program, and it worked.

DJ Lee & CS An
DJ Lee & CS An  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:31
Member (2014)
English to Korean
+ ...
Thanks Quoc. It works Apr 21, 2014

I tried every methods mentioned above, but failed. Finally I followed Quoc's suggestion.

Go to Control panel-> Add remove or uninstall section -> right click multiterm -> select 'repair'. Then multiterm works for the first time. Great !.
Thanks Quoc!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to add to Termbase after Studio 2014 update

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »