Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:12
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 25, 2004

I have two segments, first of which can not be translated at all (it's a one word translatable only through changing the form of the next segment's words). I need to expand this segment, but TagEditor HELP topics don't provide enough information.
I have tried to [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Page Down] - nothing happens. (What exactly should I select before trying to expand - 1st segment? open or closed? etc?)
It looks like there is no option to be set in Setup>Segmetation rules to do this.
... See more
I have two segments, first of which can not be translated at all (it's a one word translatable only through changing the form of the next segment's words). I need to expand this segment, but TagEditor HELP topics don't provide enough information.
I have tried to [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Page Down] - nothing happens. (What exactly should I select before trying to expand - 1st segment? open or closed? etc?)
It looks like there is no option to be set in Setup>Segmetation rules to do this.

I would appreciate any help.

Natalya
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Workbench in your top menu bar Oct 25, 2004

Open your segment, go to Workbench in the top menu bar and select Expand segment.

HTH

Alison

[Edited at 2004-10-25 12:37]

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 25, 2004

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:
Open your segment, go to Workbench in the top menu bar and select Expand segment.
HTH
Alison

[Edited at 2004-10-25 12:37]

Nothing happens.
I tried to do the same with hot keys...

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details, please... Oct 25, 2004

Hi Natalya,
As usual, I need to ask for more info...

What source file type are you working on?

I have two segments, first of which can not be translated at all (it's a one word translatable only through changing the form of the next segment's words).

What do you mean by this? Can you explain?

I need to expand this segment, but TagEditor HELP topics don't provide enough information.

First segment needs to be open, then you can expand - unless this is prohibited by the document structure. Are there breaks or specific tags between the two?

Also note that, in order to expand, the second segment must be untranslated - you cannot expand into a translated segment.

Depending on the type of file you're working on, segmentation is predominantly determined by the DTD settings.

HTH, Ralf

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answers Oct 25, 2004

What source file type are you working on?

XML
I have two segments, first of which can not be translated at all (it's a one word translatable only through changing the form of the next segment's words).
What do you mean by this? Can you explain?

I just wanted to point out, that there is no way to translate this combination in 2 parts: the first word "of" (segment) can be translated only by changing case-ending of the phrase given in second segment

First segment needs to be open, then you can expand - unless this is prohibited by the document structure. Are there breaks or specific tags between the two?

Yes, each of them is tagged in bp (opening and closing tags) - I described them as I don't know how to make tagged text visible here.

[Edited at 2004-10-25 13:42]

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Expanding segments Oct 25, 2004

Expanding a segment is not always possible, for example if there are external tags between the two segments or if the second segment has been already translated (in that case, you have to restore source).

Sometimes the only solution is to delete part of the original document (the word "of" in your case). You have to disable document protection first to be able to do it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5 - TagEditor: unable to expand segment

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »