How to change segments without adding my name in Changed By-field?
Thread poster: Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Denmark
Local time: 04:05
English to Danish
+ ...
Oct 25, 2004

Hi, I use Trados Workbench 6.5.5 and MS Word 2003. I sometimes receive TMs with translation assignments. I would like to be able to import these TMs into my own TM after having added my own text and attribute fields to each segment. (I use text and attribute fields to mark segments according to customer, assignment, type of text etc., which is of help to me later when I consider the relevance of a matched segment to a specific translation.) Of course, I can add fields via the Workbench Maintenan... See more
Hi, I use Trados Workbench 6.5.5 and MS Word 2003. I sometimes receive TMs with translation assignments. I would like to be able to import these TMs into my own TM after having added my own text and attribute fields to each segment. (I use text and attribute fields to mark segments according to customer, assignment, type of text etc., which is of help to me later when I consider the relevance of a matched segment to a specific translation.) Of course, I can add fields via the Workbench Maintenance function, but this also adds my name to the Changed By-field. I would like to be able to add text and attribute fields to segments without also adding my name to the Changed By-field - how can I do this?

Obviously, the segments I have used during translation (and which I have had a chance to review and change if necessary) also get my name in the Changed By-field, but this is no problem - the problem is that all the other segments that I have not reviewed, and so may not be correct, also get my name in the Changed By-field. This means that later I have no way of knowing which segments I have already reviewed and which I should review extra carefully when I use it.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Dennis Nielsen
Collapse

Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
Export TM to text file and manipulate it Oct 25, 2004

Hello,
Export the TM to a text file, then search for the tag for the source segments, for example:
[Seg L=EN_US]
Replace with you preferred attributes, for example:
[Att L=Customer]XXX^p
[Att L=Project]YYY^p
[Seg L=EN_US]
(the ^p being a line break when you replace in Word).

I have started to use the attribute Status New when I receive TMs from customers so I quickly can see which ones I have been adding/changing. I also use this as a filter
... See more
Hello,
Export the TM to a text file, then search for the tag for the source segments, for example:
[Seg L=EN_US]
Replace with you preferred attributes, for example:
[Att L=Customer]XXX^p
[Att L=Project]YYY^p
[Seg L=EN_US]
(the ^p being a line break when you replace in Word).

I have started to use the attribute Status New when I receive TMs from customers so I quickly can see which ones I have been adding/changing. I also use this as a filter when pre-translating so all 100% segments from the client turns up as 99% so I can review them, which then adds the Status New so I know that I have checked it.

Hope this helps!
Cecilia
PS. For some reason the correct symbol in the beginning and end of the tags didn't show up in this post, so I used brackets there instead. DS

[Edited at 2004-10-25 21:56]

[Edited at 2004-10-25 21:58]

[Edited at 2004-10-25 21:59]
Collapse

Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 26, 2004

Hi Cecilia,

I had hoped there was an easier way to do it, but your suggestion is surely better than nothing! Thanks a lot.

Any other suggestions are still welcome.

Dennis Nielsen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change segments without adding my name in Changed By-field?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »