Thread poster: Shang
Shang
Shang
China
Local time: 11:16
English to Chinese
Oct 29, 2004

Dear All,

I've upgraded my Trados to 6.5. I'm asked to save Trados.dot or not each time I close MS Word 2003. If choosing yes, the template will grow bigger and bigger. I tried to copy Trados.dot file and overwrite that in the startup folder, and even reinstall the software. But this doesn't work. Does anyone know how to eliminate this trouble?
Thanks in advance.

Edmund Shang

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:16
English to Italian
+ ...
.dot Oct 29, 2004

Hi

the same happens to me. I tried not to save the .dot file every time I close Word.
I cannot remember where I read to do so, but it works.
So, each time I close the program, I do not save the Trados.dot file, even if it is really annoying to see that message every time.

Antonella

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This should do no harm Oct 29, 2004

After installing Trados a new copy of Trados.dot is placed in the Word start-up folder. However, another copy of the same template is saved in Trados installation folder.
So, if Word asks you to save Trados.dot, you obviously has modified something on it. It is enough, that you have moved the Trados tool bar, and Word will ask you for saving.
I would then say yes and save it once. If the message does not come up again, everything should work.

In general it is very advisa
... See more
After installing Trados a new copy of Trados.dot is placed in the Word start-up folder. However, another copy of the same template is saved in Trados installation folder.
So, if Word asks you to save Trados.dot, you obviously has modified something on it. It is enough, that you have moved the Trados tool bar, and Word will ask you for saving.
I would then say yes and save it once. If the message does not come up again, everything should work.

In general it is very advisable to keep a clean copy of Normal.dot and other templates, where they cannot be modified by Word, for the case somethings goes wrong. Then you can restore a clean and working template with those saved. Keep them acutal, ie copy them once a week or so.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Once again: you allways have a clean copy in Trados installation folder Oct 29, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

I think by mistake sometimes you may touch some shortcuts and make changes to Trados.dot template. It asks if you want to save changes you did to Trados template and you should not save such changes.(I mean Normal or Trados templates not your file, you obviously need to save changes to your file otherwise you will have to do from start some translation)

This is valid, if you are asked only once, if you want to save changes. However, if Word permanently asks for saving, there are other reasons, as you do not change shortcuts every time, and on top by mistake!
In such case check, what templates are loaded in Word. For example, the WinFax template (a Symantec faxing software) has caused permanent asking for saving changes in my Normal.dot template, but even saving when closing Word has not prevented me from this question next time.

Therfore, when such question comes, simply save changes. If the question does not come again, everything is OK. If, however, the template should not work, simply copy the clean one from Trados installation folder to Word start up folder, and - if once again asked to save changes - don´t save the changes.
Usually Trados.dot is not modified in any way, so there must be something in your installation, what causes Word to modify this template. One possibility are other templates, other possibility own macros.

Regards
Jerzy

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
I'm having the same problem, but what to do about it? Oct 30, 2004

One possibility are other templates, other possibility own macros.

I often make macros in Word, but how do I avoid this problem of being asked to save Trados.dot everytime I close Word?

This issue seems to have emerged this the lastest update.
I wonder if it's a bug or a feature

Thanks for your valuable advice!
Jørgen

Shang
Shang
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
the message reappearing Oct 30, 2004

Hello,

Thank you all. But the message appears even if I don't use Trados. It doesn't appear if I activate and deactivate Trados toolbar. It's so funny!

Edmund Shang

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Close the Trados toolbar before exiting Word Oct 31, 2004

I have noticed that the prompt to save the Trados template occurs to me only when I forget to close the Trados toolbar before exiting Word (click on the Flagman icon).

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Found a Trados Knowledge Base Article on this problem Oct 31, 2004

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=476

Regards Jørgen

Shang
Shang
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Adding Microsoft Office Document Imaging Nov 13, 2004

Thank everybody.

I've found that the trouble resulted from not choosing to install Microsoft Office Document Imaging component. Trados.dot is modified each time I open Word. After reruning setup of Office 2003 and choose to add the component, the trouble disappeared.

Edmund Shang

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Save Trados.dot or not

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »