Unwanted Tags in Translation Memory
Thread poster: Frank Gersemsky
Frank Gersemsky
Frank Gersemsky
German to English
Nov 1, 2004

Hi,
I have two questions related to the handling of tags when translating text in Excel documents.
1) When I convert the Excel file to TRADOS ttx via TagEditor there are a huge amount of tag declarations shown. The contents of each cell is embraced by a TAG pair defining the font type and size of this text portion.
Since the format of my whole Excel sheet is the same, I wonder if these TAG definition are really necessary.

2) It gets even worse if the text in a ce
... See more
Hi,
I have two questions related to the handling of tags when translating text in Excel documents.
1) When I convert the Excel file to TRADOS ttx via TagEditor there are a huge amount of tag declarations shown. The contents of each cell is embraced by a TAG pair defining the font type and size of this text portion.
Since the format of my whole Excel sheet is the same, I wonder if these TAG definition are really necessary.

2) It gets even worse if the text in a cell is split into multiple segments. This occurs when I start the translation job.

I would expect it to look like this :
|cell) |cf) |TU) German text segment1 (100) English Text Segment 1 (TU| |TU) German text segment2 (100) English Text Segment 2 (TU|(cf|(cell|

In my case it looks like this :
|cell) |TU) |cf) German text segment1 (100) |cf) English Text Segment 1 (TU| |TU) German text segment2(cf| (100) English Text Segment 2 (cf|(TU|(cell|
(I hope this is readable at all.)

The problem is that now the font declaration becomes part of my translation units. The workbench is now looking for something like "|cf) German text segment 1" in the translation memory and after I provide the translation it ends up in the translation memory as well.

Does anyone have an idea what might be going wrong here?

Best Regards,

Frank

[Edited at 2004-11-01 11:23]
Collapse

Frank Gersemsky
Frank Gersemsky
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Get rid of the tags in Excel to TTX Conversion Nov 1, 2004

Hi,
I would like to get some feedback on the following idea:
Is it possible to avoid all the tags related to font type and size when converting an Excel file to TTX format?

My Excel file does not use different font types / sizes. So if I could convince the TagEditor / Workbench to ignore the font information, life would be much easier.

If there is no easy switch for this, maybe someone tried to change the Excel filter (Excel_2_0_0_0.xml). I am not an XML exp
... See more
Hi,
I would like to get some feedback on the following idea:
Is it possible to avoid all the tags related to font type and size when converting an Excel file to TTX format?

My Excel file does not use different font types / sizes. So if I could convince the TagEditor / Workbench to ignore the font information, life would be much easier.

If there is no easy switch for this, maybe someone tried to change the Excel filter (Excel_2_0_0_0.xml). I am not an XML expert and trial and error might not be a good idea.

Best Regards,

Frank
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unwanted Tags in Translation Memory

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »