https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/26215-unwanted_tags_in_translation_memory.html

Unwanted Tags in Translation Memory
Thread poster: Frank Gersemsky
Frank Gersemsky
Frank Gersemsky
German to English
Nov 1, 2004

Hi,
I have two questions related to the handling of tags when translating text in Excel documents.
1) When I convert the Excel file to TRADOS ttx via TagEditor there are a huge amount of tag declarations shown. The contents of each cell is embraced by a TAG pair defining the font type and size of this text portion.
Since the format of my whole Excel sheet is the same, I wonder if these TAG definition are really necessary.

2) It gets even worse if the text in a ce
... See more
Hi,
I have two questions related to the handling of tags when translating text in Excel documents.
1) When I convert the Excel file to TRADOS ttx via TagEditor there are a huge amount of tag declarations shown. The contents of each cell is embraced by a TAG pair defining the font type and size of this text portion.
Since the format of my whole Excel sheet is the same, I wonder if these TAG definition are really necessary.

2) It gets even worse if the text in a cell is split into multiple segments. This occurs when I start the translation job.

I would expect it to look like this :
|cell) |cf) |TU) German text segment1 (100) English Text Segment 1 (TU| |TU) German text segment2 (100) English Text Segment 2 (TU|(cf|(cell|

In my case it looks like this :
|cell) |TU) |cf) German text segment1 (100) |cf) English Text Segment 1 (TU| |TU) German text segment2(cf| (100) English Text Segment 2 (cf|(TU|(cell|
(I hope this is readable at all.)

The problem is that now the font declaration becomes part of my translation units. The workbench is now looking for something like "|cf) German text segment 1" in the translation memory and after I provide the translation it ends up in the translation memory as well.

Does anyone have an idea what might be going wrong here?

Best Regards,

Frank

[Edited at 2004-11-01 11:23]
Collapse

Frank Gersemsky
Frank Gersemsky
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Get rid of the tags in Excel to TTX Conversion Nov 1, 2004

Hi,
I would like to get some feedback on the following idea:
Is it possible to avoid all the tags related to font type and size when converting an Excel file to TTX format?

My Excel file does not use different font types / sizes. So if I could convince the TagEditor / Workbench to ignore the font information, life would be much easier.

If there is no easy switch for this, maybe someone tried to change the Excel filter (Excel_2_0_0_0.xml). I am not an XML exp
... See more
Hi,
I would like to get some feedback on the following idea:
Is it possible to avoid all the tags related to font type and size when converting an Excel file to TTX format?

My Excel file does not use different font types / sizes. So if I could convince the TagEditor / Workbench to ignore the font information, life would be much easier.

If there is no easy switch for this, maybe someone tried to change the Excel filter (Excel_2_0_0_0.xml). I am not an XML expert and trial and error might not be a good idea.

Best Regards,

Frank
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unwanted Tags in Translation Memory

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »