https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/26390-help_tageditor_won%3Bt_accept_maltese_characters.html

Help!!! TagEditor won;t accept Maltese characters.
Thread poster: PRISTINEWORKS
PRISTINEWORKS
PRISTINEWORKS
Malta
Local time: 05:13
Member (2003)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Nov 5, 2004

Hello all.

Anyone out there knows how to make TagEditor accept the irregular Maltese characters ċ ġ ħ ż and their CAPS? Cannot work on a project whose deadline is Monday ;-(

In Workbench these characters show OK (e.g. when I press the shortcut keys ALT + c to get a ċ).

But this technique simply won't work in TagEditor. When I press ALT + c nothing happens, nothing is entered. I am using the latest version: TagEditor 6.5.5.
... See more
Hello all.

Anyone out there knows how to make TagEditor accept the irregular Maltese characters ċ ġ ħ ż and their CAPS? Cannot work on a project whose deadline is Monday ;-(

In Workbench these characters show OK (e.g. when I press the shortcut keys ALT + c to get a ċ).

But this technique simply won't work in TagEditor. When I press ALT + c nothing happens, nothing is entered. I am using the latest version: TagEditor 6.5.5.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which file format? Nov 6, 2004

Hi Pristine,
Which file format are you working on?

This sounds like a codepage or font issue, as these characters require Unicode. It's important to know which format you're working on.

TIA, Ralf

PRISTINEWORKS
PRISTINEWORKS
Malta
Member (2003)
English to Maltese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maltese XML documents in TagEditor Nov 6, 2004

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your reply.

I am trying to translate an XML document.

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Pristine,
Which file format are you working on?

This sounds like a codepage or font issue, as these characters require Unicode. It's important to know which format you're working on.

TIA, Ralf

dgmaga (X)
dgmaga (X)
English to Spanish
You need a proper keyboard layout configuration Nov 6, 2004

Hi, Pristine,

You don't mention what Windos version you have or which method you are using to type Maltese characters in Word but from you comments I suspect that you are not using a Maltese keyboard layout but custom shortcuts in Word.

A similar problem was discussed once in the Trados User group in Yahoo. The problem was in MultiTerm iX but the same solution can be applied in TagEditor.

Basically, you need to use a Maltese keyboard layout. Even if a Malte
... See more
Hi, Pristine,

You don't mention what Windos version you have or which method you are using to type Maltese characters in Word but from you comments I suspect that you are not using a Maltese keyboard layout but custom shortcuts in Word.

A similar problem was discussed once in the Trados User group in Yahoo. The problem was in MultiTerm iX but the same solution can be applied in TagEditor.

Basically, you need to use a Maltese keyboard layout. Even if a Maltese keyboard layout is not supported with MultiTerm iX, it should work well with TagEditor. It will also work in other Unicode-compatible applications like Excel, PowerPoint... etc.

Here's the link to the post in Trados users grou:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/28102

Good luck!

Daniel
Collapse

PRISTINEWORKS
PRISTINEWORKS
Malta
Member (2003)
English to Maltese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maltese keyboard layout does not work with TagEditor Nov 6, 2004

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am using Windows XP Professional, with Service Pack 2. I also use a shortcut when typing in Word (ALT + c or z or h).

Downloaded the Maltese keyboard layout as suggested by the Yahoo Groups message, however nothing has changed. When you press [ the Maltese g is supposed to appear, the ] should give you the Maltese h, etc., but I did not see any of these characters in TagEditor (of course with the Maltese keyboard turn
... See more
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am using Windows XP Professional, with Service Pack 2. I also use a shortcut when typing in Word (ALT + c or z or h).

Downloaded the Maltese keyboard layout as suggested by the Yahoo Groups message, however nothing has changed. When you press [ the Maltese g is supposed to appear, the ] should give you the Maltese h, etc., but I did not see any of these characters in TagEditor (of course with the Maltese keyboard turned on).

The Maltese keyboard works fine in Word and Workbench, but not in TagEditor. Why?

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Daniel García Magariños wrote:

Hi, Pristine,

Basically, you need to use a Maltese keyboard layout. Even if a Maltese keyboard layout is not supported with MultiTerm iX, it should work well with TagEditor. It will also work in other Unicode-compatible applications like Excel, PowerPoint... etc.

Here's the link to the post in Trados users grou:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/28102

Good luck!

Daniel
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help!!! TagEditor won;t accept Maltese characters.

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »