Thread poster: Apolonia Vanova
Apolonia Vanova
Apolonia Vanova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:51
English to Slovak
+ ...
Nov 7, 2004

I am new to Trados 6.5.5 My third attempt to download and install was successful.
I am trying to follow the "tutorial" and the downloaded "User Guide" which is very difficult to follow. First, I am working on the "MultiTerm Convert"; (this is what the tutorial is telling me to do.)
1/ When I try to select the "Template" from the Trados 6.5.5 file for the Input File, Output File, Termbase Definition file and Log File nothing is happening. What am I to convert here? What am I doing wr
... See more
I am new to Trados 6.5.5 My third attempt to download and install was successful.
I am trying to follow the "tutorial" and the downloaded "User Guide" which is very difficult to follow. First, I am working on the "MultiTerm Convert"; (this is what the tutorial is telling me to do.)
1/ When I try to select the "Template" from the Trados 6.5.5 file for the Input File, Output File, Termbase Definition file and Log File nothing is happening. What am I to convert here? What am I doing wrong?
2/ How do I go to successfully use this software? Please help, thank you,
Apolonia Vanova
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:51
English to German
+ ...
Start with Workbench, not with MultiTerm Nov 8, 2004

Hi Apolonia,

You did not mention your operating system - would this be Windows XP? If you tried unzipping the downloaded file using the WinXP utility, that would create problems.

Which tutorial? I would suggest to start with Workbench (the first Tuturial in "New to Trados"), leaving terminology recognition aside for the time being.

Assuming you're working in Word, have a look at the relevant chapter in the File Formats Reference Guide, which outlines the workflow.

FYI MT Convert is used to convert termbases in the old MultiTerm 5.5 format, or those in Excel/text format into the XML format required for MultiTerm Workstation ("iX"). The conversion process yields a termbase definition file (.xdt), which you can subsequently use to create a new termbase, and an export file (.xml), which you can import into the termbase created.

HTH, Ralf

Apolonia Vanova
Apolonia Vanova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:51
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New to trados 6.5 Nov 13, 2004

Ralf,
Thank you for help. I continue to follow the manual and learn.
I am sure I will turn to this "Forum" when/if I encounter more problems.
Thanks again, Apolonia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to trados 6.5

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »