Converting Transit TM's for Trados use
Thread poster: Cort Rosebro

Cort Rosebro  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:16
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 10, 2004

I would like to be able to tap into my old Transit (2.6, 2.7 and XV) memories and convert them for use in Trados.

I've seen some threads here about converting Transit for DVX, but not about converting for Trados. It was suggested there that the Transit files (FILENAME.DEU and FILENAME.ENG) are already in XML form.

It seems like one way to approach this would be to open the XML files (after renaming the files/changing the file extensions) in the WinAlign module. However, that seems like more work than should be necessary.

Going by the Transit User Guide, there doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm for exporting Transit files to TMX format (or anything else for that matter). If there is a way to do this that they just are not proactively disclosing, that would seem like another promising way to approach this.

Anybody have any experience/ideas on how best to approach this?

I have already posted a similar query in the CAT tools forum regarding SDLX in case anyone is interested (no responses so far).

Direct link Reply with quote

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:16
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Interconverting TMs via TMX Nov 10, 2004

Hi Hoodoogy

See : http://savonlinnakampus.joensuu.fi/jaatinen/pdf/TMX_conversion.pdf

There are instructions on interconverting memories back and forth between Trados, Transit, SDLX etc. Hope it helps.

BTW, if you prefer working in Transit rather than Trados there is a FFD that has been uploaded on the Transit user group at Yahoo.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transit_termstar/

This means you can import a Trados-segmented file (Tools/Translate) into Transit, and re-export after translation to give you a translated and uncleaned Trados document.

Have fun,
Jill

Cort Rosebro  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:16
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jill, here also is another approach Nov 10, 2004

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

Hi Hoodoogy

See : http://savonlinnakampus.joensuu.fi/jaatinen/pdf/TMX_conversion.pdf

There are instructions on interconverting memories back and forth between Trados, Transit, SDLX etc. Hope it helps.

BTW, if you prefer working in Transit rather than Trados there is a FFD that has been uploaded on the Transit user group at Yahoo.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transit_termstar/

This means you can import a Trados-segmented file (Tools/Translate) into Transit, and re-export after translation to give you a translated and uncleaned Trados document.

Have fun,
Jill

Thanks Jill,

And for anyone else following this, in response to a similar query on the general CAT tools forum, someone suggested a program for switching between a variety of tools available on a beta basis. Here's the link:

http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench_pro.html

JennyItaly
Italian to English
TRADOS to TRANSIT ? Oct 11, 2007

Hi - Hope this post was not closed .. it is quite old.

I regularly use TRADOS - I have TRANSIT but never used it. A client just sent me some PXF files but the project is too large for me to work with a programme I do not know.

I tried that pdf link - but it is no longer available.

I also have the word versions of the PXF files - so what I really need to be able to do .. if it is possible ..
is to do my work in TRADOS .. and somehow update the TRANSIT file to send back to the client.

Any suggestions MOST welcome

Jen

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Well, you want it the wrong way around :-) Oct 11, 2007

from my point of view (I rather work on Trados files in Transit)
but there is a generally viable way, though I have never actually used it: translate in Trados, export the memory to TMX and use the TMX as reference material in the Transit translation. However, it may require a full version of Transit. I am not sure PE will do it. Which version do you have?

You may also try and negotiate with your customer that you will send them the TMX export of your resulting Trados memory instead of the Transit output. Depending on their level of IT knowledge, they may be ready to accept this solution, especially if you offer a discount.. (someone will have to "Transitise" the tmx in the end and should be paid for it)

HTH
Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting Transit TM's for Trados use

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs