How do I translate an Access file with Trados 6.5?
Thread poster: Eugenia Strazzolini
Eugenia Strazzolini
Eugenia Strazzolini  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 15, 2004

I've been assigned a translation under these instructions:
This job MUST be completed in MS Aceess Database 4.0. Please send me clean Access files and uncl;ean Trados files and your invoice.
Can anybody help me????

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:51
English to German
+ ...
Ask you customer... Nov 15, 2004

Hi Eugenia,
To the best of my knowledge, MS Access is not supported by Trados. The only workaround I can think of is to export tables form Access to MS Excel, and to use TagEditor on the Excel sheets. This is something you should definitely discuss with your customer - TBH this doesn't sound as if there were really familiar with Trados...

Best regards,
Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No way to translate Access with Trados Nov 15, 2004

I asked Trados support this question allready. The answer was no, and it will remain no. This is because Access is a database software, with not only text, but switches and so on.
Exporting to Excel may help, however not allways, this depends on the strukcture of Access tables.

The other possibility is to mark text and use T-Window for Clipboard. This is the way I would go.

OTOH delivering an UNCLEANED Access file is impossible.
What you ca deliver is clean
... See more
I asked Trados support this question allready. The answer was no, and it will remain no. This is because Access is a database software, with not only text, but switches and so on.
Exporting to Excel may help, however not allways, this depends on the strukcture of Access tables.

The other possibility is to mark text and use T-Window for Clipboard. This is the way I would go.

OTOH delivering an UNCLEANED Access file is impossible.
What you ca deliver is clean translated Access file and probably the Trados TM.

Against my usual attitude to giving discounts I would never give any discount on Access and set my price approx. 25% higher as usuall. Access can be very tricky...

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some time ago I had to translate a loooooong database in Access Nov 15, 2004

I cut and pasted the table in Word and it worked OK.
Then you have to clean with Trados and paste the translated table in Access.
Probably your client will have to get the uncleaned version in Word and the cleaned one in Access.
Of course I agree with our colleagues: ask you client and make clear that Trados does not work in Access itself.
Regards and good luck.

Eugenia Strazzolini
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you vefry much to all of you Nov 15, 2004

When I asked how to do it, the client answered "Access 97 SR-2", which left me even more lost thatn at the begining.

Thank you very much for your help and for confirming I'm not an idiot.

Eugenia

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This simply means Nov 15, 2004

Eugenia Strazzolini wrote:

When I asked how to do it, the client answered "Access 97 SR-2", which left me even more lost thatn at the begining.

Thank you very much for your help and for confirming I'm not an idiot.

Eugenia

that if anyone here is an idiot, this are not you.
Acces 97 SR-2 means Acces 97 (from Office 97) with installed Service Release 2 (today called Service Pack).
You will really need to have this particular version of Access, as the compatibility between different versions (Access 97/2000/XP) is not very good.
And nevertheless, either Access without SR nor Access with SR can be translated in direct way with Trados.

Regards
Jerzy

Eugenia Strazzolini
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jerzy! Nov 15, 2004

Nice to know.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
ask your out sourcer the following Nov 15, 2004

Nice to know.
extract the database tables and send you. Because Access has a jet at the back, and it is normally organized in an interconnected manner called VBA project.These files are not easy to process unless they are singled out as tables which you can export to excel and process in a TagEditor of Trados. After finishing go back to access and reimport the translated files and delete the original tables ( they are marked as 1 the originals ) and 2 is the replica.As you remove the 1 the 2 needs renaming without numbering. Send a command and join the tables, you have your fully translated Database. That is a lot of work. So if your outsourcer is paying only for the translation part, either he doesn´t know the work involved or he is well knowledged to pay only this. In any case I suggest without pre-entertaining the right thoughts along these lines and some work experience on single table based (multiple queries!1 Watch out, table names, their links KEYS may fool)Generally any database with 10 Tables in development area falls under Designing (programming) category, priced around €45,- hourly rate for the beginner on the german market, an experienced hand might get, mind you with good arguments around €75,-. Keeping all the above mentioned aspects in mind, you should now be able to accomplish this project. You cannot send unclean Access file, instead you are prepared to send unclean tables, yes this is possible. Just now posted a how to here:
http://www.proz.com/howto/208 , doesn´t cover the forms and queries.
Good luck
Brandis

[Edited at 2004-11-15 23:20]

[Edited at 2004-11-15 23:32]

[Edited at 2004-11-16 10:13]

Eugenia Strazzolini
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hey! Nov 15, 2004

That's a good tip! Thank you.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you Nov 15, 2004

That's a good tip! Thank you.
Next would be how to process look up tables in a Database using Trados. But that has time.Good luck
Brandis

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Translating Access database with Trados Nov 16, 2004

First you need to find out what exactly should be translated. Access databases contain not only database tables, but also forms, reports, etc.

The only way to translate forms and reports with Trados is using T-Window for Clipboard, because it's not possible to export these objects to an editable format.

To translate database tables, you can:
- Use T-Window for Clipboard. That would be a pretty hard work and you wouldn't be able to produce any uncleaned file.
... See more
First you need to find out what exactly should be translated. Access databases contain not only database tables, but also forms, reports, etc.

The only way to translate forms and reports with Trados is using T-Window for Clipboard, because it's not possible to export these objects to an editable format.

To translate database tables, you can:
- Use T-Window for Clipboard. That would be a pretty hard work and you wouldn't be able to produce any uncleaned file.
- Copy and paste the table(s) to Word, translate and paste back as Mónica suggests. This should work with small tables, but be careful when pasting back.
- Export the tables, translate and import back. IMO this is the best solution, but requires some technical knowledge and should be paid extra. I wouldn't export the tables to Excel, because Excel has some limitations on text length and that could be a problem if the database contained long memo fields. (But Excel might be OK in some cases.) I would probably use CSV format and translate it in Word, maybe with some preprocessing.

Anyway, your client probably doesn't understand what he is asking you to do.
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
It is not possible to work... Nov 16, 2004

...with Excel?

Simply open the files to be translated in Excel and translate it using a CAT (Trados, DVX, SDLX).

Open the access file direct in Excel save as xls, translate it with TE, save it bilingual (uncleaned) and cleaned as xls, then in Access impot Data (clean Access).

Am I missing something? where is the problem?
The primary keys can/should not be translated

Rgds

[Edited at 2004-11-16 12:04]

[Edited at 2004-11-16 12
... See more
...with Excel?

Simply open the files to be translated in Excel and translate it using a CAT (Trados, DVX, SDLX).

Open the access file direct in Excel save as xls, translate it with TE, save it bilingual (uncleaned) and cleaned as xls, then in Access impot Data (clean Access).

Rgds

Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Missing ? Nov 16, 2004

Toledo wrote:

Rgds

Hello,

what is with forms, reports and other programming code ?

With kind regards

Hans

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:51
German to English
+ ...
Microsoft Access Translator Nov 16, 2004

Browsing net found:

http://c85.cemi.rssi.ru/access/Downloads/Trans/Trans.asp

It's only for Access 97 and 2000 (but 4.0 is over 10 years old ??!!)

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
also possible Nov 17, 2004

DSC wrote:

Toledo wrote:

Rgds

Hello,

With kind regards

Hans
This is a different type of work, hence I personally need to see the database first, before continuing here.
Regards,
Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I translate an Access file with Trados 6.5?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »