https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/26715-how_do_i_exclude_text_in_braces_from_translation_in_word.html

How do I exclude text in braces from translation in word?
Thread poster: Tobi
Tobi
Tobi
Local time: 15:46
English to German
+ ...
Nov 16, 2004

I have a text (rtf or txt) which contains a lot of text in braces ({text}) which is not to be translated. Up to now, I open these segments, copy the original content and close the segments to proceed to the next segement. Is there a way to exclude all these segments in braces that I don't have to do the above work?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Thanks for your help up to know!

The text looks like this and is completely without any format:
... See more
I have a text (rtf or txt) which contains a lot of text in braces ({text}) which is not to be translated. Up to now, I open these segments, copy the original content and close the segments to proceed to the next segement. Is there a way to exclude all these segments in braces that I don't have to do the above work?

Thanks for your help up to know!

The text looks like this and is completely without any format:

{tag text not to be translated}
text to be translated
text to be translated
text to be translated

and so on ...

Up to now, I translate one segment, translate the next segement with copy source, translate the next one, and so on.

I'm looking for a way to speed this up by omitting the tags in braces.

[Edited at 2004-11-17 05:55]
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Mark with tw4winExternal style Nov 16, 2004

Tobi wrote:

Hi Tobi,

You can mark the text with the tw4winExternal style. You can use the latest version of Ando Tools, a handy set of macros for Wordfast and Trados users, to insert tw4win styles into the document if they are not there.

If the "braced" pieces of text are within sentences, use the tw4winInternal style. You'll be able to move them around as placeables within the sentence.

Ando Tools can be downloaded from: http://soukie.wz.cz/atools/index.html

When you unpack the zip the instructions are in the ReadMe file.

A macro could be written to further automate the process of marking such text, but maybe Ando Tools have a function like this. I have not checked the latest version of these tools yet.

HTH

Piotr

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Marking with TW4External style cannot be asily automated. Nov 16, 2004

The two approaches: macro and a regular expression have its pittfalls. Just imagine automatic marking of text like
{...{...}}} {
}

{

I can imagine even more irregularities. However if the text is regular
{...} ... {...}...
writing a macro to mark it should be quite easy.

Lisa Siegel Cruz
Lisa Siegel Cruz
United States
Local time: 09:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Workbench does it for you! Nov 17, 2004

In Workbench: Clic onto Settings, then Non-Translatable Paragraphs.

At least my version (3.0) did it.

: o )

Tobi
Tobi
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only for different paragraph formats Nov 17, 2004

Lisa Siegel-Cruz wrote:

In Workbench: Clic onto Settings, then Non-Translatable Paragraphs.

At least my version (3.0) did it.

: o )

Yes, but I don't have different paragraph formats. There is only one format. This would work if the paragraphs in braces would have a different format. Maybe there is a way to change the formats of the repsective paragraphs automatically.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Search and replace Nov 18, 2004

1a. Import the tw4winExternal/tw4winInternal style into your document from another document or using Ando tools, as Piotr suggested.
Or:
1b. Create a new character-based style (not paragraph-based!) and enter the style name into the TM setup in Workbench (File - Setup - Non-translatable Text). Define the style as external or internal. (You can read more about the difference in Trados help. Use external if the non-translatable text is always on a separate line, like in your example. U
... See more
1a. Import the tw4winExternal/tw4winInternal style into your document from another document or using Ando tools, as Piotr suggested.
Or:
1b. Create a new character-based style (not paragraph-based!) and enter the style name into the TM setup in Workbench (File - Setup - Non-translatable Text). Define the style as external or internal. (You can read more about the difference in Trados help. Use external if the non-translatable text is always on a separate line, like in your example. Use internal, if the non-translatable text is part of the normal text.) The format of the style is not important. For example, it could be based on the Default Paragraph Font and you can just change the font color.

2. Use Search and Replace with wildcards and replace the non-translatable tags with the same text and the non-translatable style defined above.

Use the following search and replace expressions:

Search for: (\{*\})
Replace with: \1 + the non-translatable style (More - Format - Style)
Check the "Use wildcards" checkbox!

Be careful, it's probably not safe to apply the style to the already translated parts of the document! You should start replacing from the place in your document right after the last translated segment.

Contact me via my profile if you need more help.

[Edited at 2004-11-18 00:35]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I exclude text in braces from translation in word?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »