Thread poster: HeisingEngGer
HeisingEngGer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:08
English to German
+ ...
Nov 17, 2004

Hi all!

This may be a stupid question to those who are familiar with CAT-Tools and the business of being a freelancer in general but I hope someone will help me answer it.

I know TRADOS´s Demo-Version has a "sample"-Database that is necessary for the user to do what is shown in the tutorials. It contains just a few terms and words from the sample.doc file.

Now my question is: Does the fullversion of Trados come with a really large Database of pre-programmed terms or does the translator really have to put all input into the Software himself?

Where could I get another Memory-File than the sample?

Regards,

Christian

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
No TM with Trados Nov 17, 2004

The full version of Trados does not come with any translation memory (TM) or termbase. You have to create them yourself or you could get them from an agency together with a translation job. TMs are one of the most valuable assets and they are not just given away.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
WinAlign Nov 18, 2004

Hi Christian - welcome to ProZ.com.

Although Trados does not come with databases, you can use your existing material to build them. WinAlign allows you to turn bilingual file pairs into translation memories. Have a look at the Tutorial (which is installed with T6.5) on how this works.

Best regards,
Ralf

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Multiterm Nov 18, 2004

Hello,

you can buy some Multiterm Databases (Glossaries) from Kater Verlag. The DIN sells the DIN terminology database in Multiterm format and i believe, that Langenscheidt sells some dictionries in Multiterm format.

With kind regards

Hans

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks and a new Question Nov 18, 2004

Thanks for the quick and great help.

I have already suspected that the Memory-Files are something one has to build on his own. Now I know that the best way to work with Trados is to feed it with my translations.

Maybe I will be able to get a Memory-File from a friend of mine who runs her own translation business. Anyway, I am still studying and not good enough yet.

Now to my newest problem:
After I figured out how to import aligned files (.txt format) into the Workbench I am pretty happy with the result but still it show´s a mistake when trying to translate the sample word documents.

Even though the files I try to translate with the workbench are the same as used with the align-programme it says that there is not a 100% matching.

Trados Workbench says "-3% Alignment Penalty." about every sample-sentence.

That of course disables the function that translates everything before the next fuzzy-match.

Does anyone know how to repair this mistake?

Kind regards,
Christian

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Not a mistake Nov 18, 2004

Hello,

maybe the alignment produces mistakes. Therefore it is useful to reduce the match rate. If you confirm the Alignment unit, it will appear next tima as a 100% match.

It is also possible to adjust the penalties in the Trados option menu

With kind regards

Hans

Anna Grodek  Identity Verified
Spanish to Polish
+ ...
Penalties Nov 18, 2004

You have to set the penalty level that is proper to your needs, in other case sometimes even the snall difference, say more spaces, will produce the penalty, which will unable trados to give you the answer!!!

Good luck!
E.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! :-) Nov 19, 2004

Thank you guys!
Everything works just fine now. Next I will try to do is now fill my Trados with every translation I have done in the past and try to get the Langenscheidt Termbase that has been recommended here.

Regards,
Christian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching: Trados Memory-Database

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs