How can I filter out CM segments in Studio 2014?
Thread poster: Ben Hickman
Ben Hickman
Ben Hickman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:49
Dutch to English
Apr 17, 2014

Hello everyone,

Here's the situation: I am reviewing a translated file in the Editor view of Studio 2014 (11.0.3709.0). I want to hide the CM (context match) segments and see everything else. I select the Review ribbon and try various settings in the Display Filter section, but I can't seem to find one that will do this. Is this possible? If so, how?

Regards,
Ben Hickman

Worder Company
Worder Company
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:49
Russian to English
+ ...
An option Apr 17, 2014

Select "new translated content". This way you will see only those segments that are not 100s. Whenever you make a change in your "new translated segment", these changes will be propagated across your 100s. In order to do that:

click after all changes segments after finishing the editing

or

click thru the changes segment after like 1 hour.

Do not make it a rule to click ctrl+Enter after every change, because you might change some terms (thus
... See more
Select "new translated content". This way you will see only those segments that are not 100s. Whenever you make a change in your "new translated segment", these changes will be propagated across your 100s. In order to do that:

click after all changes segments after finishing the editing

or

click thru the changes segment after like 1 hour.

Do not make it a rule to click ctrl+Enter after every change, because you might change some terms (thus you will have other uncofirmed segments below the segment being edited. If you click ctrl+Enter in this case, you will get to the next uncofirmed segmet -- not just to the next segment). If you wish to confirm each change, click ctrl+Enter+Alt.
But, again, I am not sure that there is a need to confirm each chage immediately.

Warning: do not do update your memory to propogate your chages across your 100s, as you will end up with the two translation of the same segment in your TM. I you did that, you will have to
1) retain only segment from a partilular time in your TM -- the time when you started your editing,
2) pre-translate your file with so created TM.
3) lock the translated segments
4) open the tm with edited and translated segments -- the one you ended up after updating your TM,
5) presetranslate the file
6) visually check some segments to make sure thatthe procedure worked.

I just wanted to share this tip, as I faced the above issue a couple of months ago with a large file and had to do this -- as we in Russia as -- "dances with a tambourine".
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Filter and lock Apr 17, 2014

I suggest you filter by CM segments (they come together with perfect matches in the filter, but that shouldn't be a problem).
Then lock these segments.
Now filter by unlocked segments.

That should do it.
Emma

Ben Hickman
Sweden
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Solution for filtering out CM segments in Trados Studio 2014 Apr 17, 2014

Hi Emma,

Wonderful! How clever you are!

For the sake of others who may read this in the future, I'll summarize the steps:

[Translated file is open in the Editor view of Trados Studio 2014...]
1. Review ribbon > click the pull down by All Segments > select Context matches and PerfectMatch [Now only Context match and PerfectMatch segments are shown]
2. click the number of the first segment ("1", at the left), hold Shift and click the number of the
... See more
Hi Emma,

Wonderful! How clever you are!

For the sake of others who may read this in the future, I'll summarize the steps:

[Translated file is open in the Editor view of Trados Studio 2014...]
1. Review ribbon > click the pull down by All Segments > select Context matches and PerfectMatch [Now only Context match and PerfectMatch segments are shown]
2. click the number of the first segment ("1", at the left), hold Shift and click the number of the last segment [all visible segments are now selected]
3. Right-click any segment to display the context menu, and select Lock Segments [all visible segments are now locked]
4. Review ribbon > click Reset Filters [all segments are now shown, with all the Context match and PerfectMatch segments locked]
5. Review ribbon > click the pull down by All Segments > select Unlocked [only the unlocked segments are shown now, which means that all the Context match and PerfectMatch segments are hidden]

It's a very convoluted process for something I feel should be simple, but I'm very thankful that you were able to provide me with a work-around that works!

Thanks for this solution go out to Emma Goldsmith.

Regards,
Ben
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Another way... Apr 17, 2014

... that you could apply to your entire Project before you start is to use the SDLXLIFF Toolkit : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-tu

So you add your whole Project in one go. Tick the Context Match and Lock segment check boxes and then click Changeit!Context Match and Lock segment check boxes and then click Changeit! Now when you open any file in the project it will have all the Context Matches locked, so all you do now is select unlocked in the display filter whenever you open a file.

Just to add an idea!

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Ben Hickman
Sweden
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
New Translated Content filter also hides 100% matches Apr 18, 2014

Andrew052 wrote:
Select "new translated content". This way you will see only those segments that are not 100s.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. Unfortunately the "New translated content" filter does not work in my situation, because while I do not want to see the Content Matches, I do want to see the 100% matches.

Regards,
Ben

Ben Hickman
Sweden
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
SDLXLIFF Toolkit - a timesaver Apr 18, 2014

SDL Support wrote:
...use the SDLXLIFF Toolkit : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-tu

Hi Paul,

That sounds like a real time-saver indeed. I wasn't aware of the toolkit, so I really appreciate your pointing it out.

I feel I must say, though, that I don't understand why the Display Filter in Studio 2014 was designed in such a strange way. In fact, it's not really a filter in the usual sense of the word. In Studio you choose what you do want to see, whereas to my way of thinking I would like to choose what I do not want to see (i.e. what I want to filter out). My suggestion would be to have a panel in which you are presented with a list preceded by checkboxes, something like this...

[] Context matches
[] Perfect matches
[] 100% matches
etc.

... in which one can simply remove the tick from the categories one does not want to see. This would certainly be clear to everyone, and it would allow for a finer level of control.

Just a suggestion.

Regards,
Ben

Evelyna Radoslavova
Evelyna Radoslavova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:49
English to French
+ ...
Filtering out segments in Studio 2014 (and 2015) Mar 30, 2016

Seconded! I have a 30,000 word file with 10,000 words in CMs that I do not want to look at (since the client absolutely refuses to pay for them) and 10,000 words in 100% matches that I need to review. I do not want to lock the CMs, I want to be able to filter them out and not see them any more

Thank you, Ben, for the clear and succinct summary of this potential feature. And Paul, for the link to the Toolkit.

Cheers,
Evelyna

Ben Hickman wrote:

SDL Support wrote:
...use the SDLXLIFF Toolkit : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-tu

Hi Paul,

That sounds like a real time-saver indeed. I wasn't aware of the toolkit, so I really appreciate your pointing it out.

I feel I must say, though, that I don't understand why the Display Filter in Studio 2014 was designed in such a strange way. In fact, it's not really a filter in the usual sense of the word. In Studio you choose what you do want to see, whereas to my way of thinking I would like to choose what I do not want to see (i.e. what I want to filter out). My suggestion would be to have a panel in which you are presented with a list preceded by checkboxes, something like this...

[] Context matches
[] Perfect matches
[] 100% matches
etc.

... in which one can simply remove the tick from the categories one does not want to see. This would certainly be clear to everyone, and it would allow for a finer level of control.

Just a suggestion.

Regards,
Ben

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I filter out CM segments in Studio 2014?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »