Thread poster: Alan Boydell

Alan Boydell  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:27
French to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2004

Hi there all,

I am trying to export a termbase to an RTF dictionary using MultiTerm iX 6.2.0.267 with Windows XP Pro SP2 and Word 2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1.

It keeps producing this 34-page RTF file with pretty much nothing in there at all except for a column separator down the middle and a field in the first page header stating “Error! No text of specified style in document". On the odd occasion, the exact same export definition will produce my 117-page RTF dictionary exactly as I want it. There doesn't seem to be too much rhyme or reason to this as far as I can make out.

Is this a known issue? I don’t think that it has to do with my export definition (as I use very standard formatting preferences), but here are my settings just in case:

Exact same as the “Word dictionary export definition" except for the following on the “Custom Export – General Options” page of the wizard:

Only “Entry level”, “Term” (under Source) and “Term” (under Target) are checked.

Entry level:
Before structure: \par\plain\pard%20

(Source)Term:
Export field label (unchecked)
Export field contents (checked)
Before field contents: \par\pard{\cs16\fs24\f4%20
Before field contents: }

(Target)Term:
Export field label (unchecked)
Export field contents (checked)
Before field contents: \par\pard{\cs16\b\fs24\f4%20
Before field contents: }

Stranger still is that the log file seems to suggest everything went as smooth as could be:

Export log information

General information:
Export definition: ADB
Termbase name: Legal
Export file: C:\Documents and Settings\Ally\Desktop\lkjh.rtf
Export log file: C:\Documents and Settings\Ally\Desktop\lkjh.log
Sorted by index (English)
Export type: Custom

Before the initials: \par\par\pard\s24\b\f4\fs32%20
After the initials:
Before the synonyms:
After the synonyms:
Before the cross-reference: (-->{\ul\i%20
After the cross-reference: })%20
File header: true
File footer: true

Export started: 01/12/2004 16:42:04
Export ended: 01/12/2004 16:42:51

Total number of entries in termbase: 3437
Total number of terms in selected sort index: 3436
Total number of exported entries: 3404

I would be very grateful if anyone had any intelligence that could help me understand / resolve this issue.

Thank you,

Alan

Direct link Reply with quote

Alan Boydell  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correction Dec 1, 2004

Alan Boydell wrote:

I don’t think that it has to do with my export definition (as I use very standard formatting preferences),

OK, so it HAS to be linked with my custom export definitions, because after many attempts using the standard "Word dictionary export definition", it always works perfectly.

The only thing is, I don't understand what in my settings could possibly be the problem. I think I am using standard Rich Text Formatting. Have I unchecked some fields that HAVE to be present? Did I make MultiTerm jealous by attending the Wordfast workshop in Oxford?

I am powerless to speculate.

CJIoHuKu
Local time: 22:27
English to Russian
+ ...
RTF Aug 7, 2014

Exporting to RTF is not a big problem, much bigger problem is importing that RTF into Multiterm TB.
Did anyone find the solution how I could import TB in RTF into Multiterm? I'd be very thankful

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Wow... Aug 7, 2014

... you're following up a post that is nearly ten years old! So I think I'd first ask whether you really do want to handle this with Multiterm IX?

On the import of a MultiTerm RTF dictionary, I haven't come across this problem before but I imagine it would be tricky as this is more of a pretty print format than anything you would use for data exchange.

How complex is your output with regard to the fields in the original termbase?

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm iX: exporting a termbase to RTF dictionary

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs