Thread poster: Worder Company
Worder Company
Worder Company
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:40
Russian to English
+ ...
Jul 10, 2014

I am completely and utterly disappointed with multiterm.

The point is that it would not find great numbers of terms in the text. It just wouldn't.

I have been using trados for 5 years.

Usually I translate 10-15 pages per day.

Yesterday I had to translate 30 pages.

Because I had to speed up two times, any wait time would be a problem. Then I really saw that the majority of the terms are not shown and I was just recalling them b
... See more

The point is that it would not find great numbers of terms in the text. It just wouldn't.

Because I had to speed up two times, any wait time would be a problem. Then I really saw that the majority of the terms are not shown and I was just recalling them by MY MEMORY!!!!!

I cannot not change from trados to anywhere, because my customers requires the tms in trados...

Please be welcome to offer any tips.
Collapse

Jitka Komarkova (Mgr.)
Jitka Komarkova (Mgr.)  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:40
English to Czech
+ ...
Do you use Trados 2007 workbench? No surprise! Jul 10, 2014

Get Studio 2011 or higher and the problem will be solved.
Good luck!
Jitka

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
no Jul 10, 2014

Jitka, Multiterm (at least the older version) should operate normally even with Trados 2007.

Unfortunately the original poster provides no details about the nature of the issue.

Worder Company
Worder Company
Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Using 2014 Jul 10, 2014

Of course, I am using 2014.

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Recurrent Question Jul 10, 2014

...same answer, use TermInjector, version 2.2 has been released.

Cheers,

Bernard

Worder Company
Worder Company
Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
injector does not deliver Jul 10, 2014

I tried using the injector. Thank you for your help earlier -- when I asked the same question before.

I think that Injector should completely replace multiterm and enable the functionality of using it just isstead of multiterm. I guess I decided to forego the injector, as I do not wish to look up the terms in the translation result window -- this a different operations area with different assumptions as to why you look there, how much time you want to spend there...

For
... See more
I tried using the injector. Thank you for your help earlier -- when I asked the same question before.

I think that Injector should completely replace multiterm and enable the functionality of using it just isstead of multiterm. I guess I decided to forego the injector, as I do not wish to look up the terms in the translation result window -- this a different operations area with different assumptions as to why you look there, how much time you want to spend there...

For instance, I have got a large TM for a large customer. I don't like it that much. I get paid for the gross symbols. If I see a 85% hit, I might quite often translate it myself. Is it time-efficient? No way. Is it OK with me? Yes.

Now, if I go to the translation window and look there for the word, which is not highlighted, you can imagine how much time that would mean.

Btw, the 85% examples -- I am talking 500-2000-symbols sentences...

The point is that I just to wanted to write in this forum:

That's it for me, guys. I have been using Trados for 5 years, 14 -- for 8 months.

I rarely translate 30 pages per day, but stuff happens, you know.

The point is that I guess that when I used to translate at the standard speed -- 15 pages, it would be OK to try and recall this or that term. I am translating contracts and other docs for a number of permament end customers.

But when I had to double the speed -- any pause -- just for 2 seconds -- to think about the term -- would be really bad... I mean, you need to translate like 3 pages per hour -- you would want to use the function of typing the first word of the term and then running further. I would type the first letter, but nothing would happen. I would need to look in the multiterm window. The term would not be there. And I am not speaking about sporadic happennings, I am talking all the segments are prone to this stuff, irrespective of their length...

So, the point is like that: c'mon, the programme does not deliver!

And I can't just go and start using another programme, because if somebody finds out that the TMs have not been prepared in Trados, but in another programme, people would be kinda angry with me -- not displeased, as large-scale TMs can mean hundreds of bucks in savings...
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
English to French
+ ...
Screenshots Jul 10, 2014

Here are a few screenshots of what it provides and I can assure you that it makes life a lot easier:

http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/blieber45/library/?sort=3&page=1

Bernard

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 01:40
English to Chinese
I tried to learn TermInjector for term recognition/replacement purposes Jul 10, 2014

But it was too hard for me to master.

And what bothers me is, if TermInjector only works with Excel format glossary, then it will not recognize the new terms you add from the Editor while you work, right? And that means you can't use Xbench to verify the terminology, since Xbench only works with Multiterm termbase format.

I wish there is an easier solution to the multiterm issue. I totally understand the OP's frustration. I had a similar issue with MT yesterday when
... See more
But it was too hard for me to master.

And what bothers me is, if TermInjector only works with Excel format glossary, then it will not recognize the new terms you add from the Editor while you work, right? And that means you can't use Xbench to verify the terminology, since Xbench only works with Multiterm termbase format.

I wish there is an easier solution to the multiterm issue. I totally understand the OP's frustration. I had a similar issue with MT yesterday when two terms side by side in a segment were not correctly recognized by MT--only one term was displayed in the termbase result window.

Chun-yi

Bernard Lieber wrote:

...same answer, use TermInjector, version 2.2 has been released.

Cheers,

Bernard
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:40
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What about AutoSuggest Jul 10, 2014

I would use the AutoSuggest function, creating an Autosuggest dictionnary, and leveraging Multiterm, the dictionnary and the Autotext list. Have you enabled it?

Regards

Clarisa

Bernard Lieber
English to French
+ ...
Adding Terms Jul 10, 2014

to the TermInjector Exact Match Rule file is quite simple, copy the source term to your target segment, e.g. , hello¤bonjour (¤ is the default separator but you can customise it), highlight both and hit F3, terms are automatically added to the file, you can do the same thing with the Replacement Rule file using \r (see help file provided with the plug-in).

HTH,

Bernard

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
Do you use multiple termbases for this job? Jul 10, 2014

Hi Andrew,

I do not have a solution, as I also struggle with the term not recognized issue from time to time with Multiterm. I do find reorganizing termbases (especially the ones created in an earlier Studio version like 2009 or 2011) sometimes help. I also find that term recognition is more prone to error when more than one termbases are used in a project.
I wish SDL can make MT more reliable. I was going to use Studio 2014 for an upcoming huge project, but now I am having
... See more
Hi Andrew,

I do not have a solution, as I also struggle with the term not recognized issue from time to time with Multiterm. I do find reorganizing termbases (especially the ones created in an earlier Studio version like 2009 or 2011) sometimes help. I also find that term recognition is more prone to error when more than one termbases are used in a project.
I wish SDL can make MT more reliable. I was going to use Studio 2014 for an upcoming huge project, but now I am having second thoughts due to this term recognition issue.

Chun-yi

Andrew052 wrote:

Because I had to speed up two times, any wait time would be a problem. Then I really saw that the majority of the terms are not shown and I was just recalling them by MY MEMORY!!!!!

I cannot not change from trados to anywhere, because my customers requires the tms in trados...

Please be welcome to offer any tips.
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
AutoSuggest does not work with my target language Jul 10, 2014

My target language is character based, which I was told would not work well with AutoSuggest. (I did try and proved it was true.) So using AS is not an option for me.

And isn't it true that with AutoSuggest dictionaries, you will only get what's already in the dictionary but not the new terms you add while you translate in the Editor?

Chun-yi

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

I would use the AutoSuggest function, creating an Autosuggest dictionnary, and leveraging Multiterm, the dictionnary and the Autotext list. Have you enabled it?

Regards

Clarisa

Worder Company
Worder Company
Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
multiple termbases Jul 10, 2014

I do use 5 termbases with 4K words in each of them.

I have tried using only one of them -- no improvment. I have tried reorganizing them -- exporting to excel, and reimporting to the TB -- to no avail.

I guess the only option is to use another programme and wait for trados to catach up with deje, for instance.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
By reorganizing... Jul 10, 2014

I was referring to the reorganize feature under Termbase Management in SDL MultiTerm 2014.

http://screencast.com/t/Ks2U14Fif

If you haven't tried this yet, it's worth a try. All you need to do is open the problem termbase, go to Termbase Management, click on Reorganize, and the MT wizard will do the rest for you.

Chun-yi

Andrew052 wrote:

I do use 5 termbases with 4K words in each of them.

I have tried using only one of them -- no improvment. I have tried reorganizing them -- exporting to excel, and reimporting to the TB -- to no avail.

I guess the only option is to use another programme and wait for trados to catach up with deje, for instance.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
A few things... Jul 11, 2014

Hi,

I guess the first thing is to play with the Search Settings in the Termbase Options. Sometimes increasing the term repetition threshold, and playing with the minimum match value and search depths can help to improve the situation for your texts.

There is a known issue that may at play here which is that Studio stops recognising terms if the term is located too far into a long segment. I think it's around 250 characters. So this may not be helping.

Som
... See more
Hi,

I guess the first thing is to play with the Search Settings in the Termbase Options. Sometimes increasing the term repetition threshold, and playing with the minimum match value and search depths can help to improve the situation for your texts.

There is a known issue that may at play here which is that Studio stops recognising terms if the term is located too far into a long segment. I think it's around 250 characters. So this may not be helping.

Some one mentioned Java again, perhaps in a different thread, but I can confirm that we are working on removing the Java components from Studio altogether so it is not needed to work with MultiTerm. This should be available this year but I don't have a release date for this yet as it is too early to confirm. It is a high priority, along with some far reaching changes in working with terminology that will benefit all users and all terminology providers. I'm confident there are better things to come this year.

If none of this helps I'd be happy to take a look at anything you can share with me and then I can make sure that the development team have this on their radar if I can't resolve it.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

complete and utter frustration with multiterm

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »