France
Local time: 11:14
English to French
Dec 7, 2004

Hi everybody !

Trados 6.5.5.438 (Build 439)
MultiTerm iX 6.2.0.287 (Build 287)
Word Office 2003 SP1, Windows XP SP2

Since I’ve reinstalled Trados on my new computer, I encounter problems.

1) When opening a segment, I get sometimes on TW status bar :

'(-2147417851):(-2147417851): (null)'

I get again this message when trying to open other segments of the same Word document or other segments in other Word documents.

2) A related error message is also displayed but it comes from Windows this time. When I try to get a term from Multiterm (Get next term, Get current term, etc.), either with the keyboard command or with the Trados menu in Word, the following is displayed :

Microsoft Visual Basic
Execution error '-2147417851 (80010105)': the method 'ExecuteWordCommandLong' of the object 'IWBApplication' has failed.

(I’ve tried to translate the message from French)

I cannot get any term from my base except through copy-pasting.

Thanks for any help !!!

Jean-Marc

I'm new to CATs.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-12-07 13:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Register the software Dec 7, 2004

Hi Jean-Marc,
First of all, thanks for posting very detailed systems info...

Have you registered the software after installation? (Start - Programs - Trados 6.5 xxx - Register Trados 6.5 xxx, where 'xxx' denotes LSP or FL)

Regarding term recognition, is MultiTerm iX defined as the terminology provider (check under Options - Term Recognition Options)?

HTH, Ralf

Jean-Marc  Identity Verified
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
First problem should be solved Dec 7, 2004

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your reply.
1) I hadn't noticed the software had to be re-registered after reinstallation ! So I did it. Thanks very much for your advice.
I have the FL version of Trados.

2) Regarding MultiTerm now, I checked in TW options: MultiTermiX is indeed defined as the terminology provider.
And the error message from Windows:

Microsoft Visual Basic
Execution error '-2147417851 (80010105)': the method 'ExecuteWordCommandLong' of the object 'IWBApplication' has failed.

still pops up when I try to get a term from my term base...

Jean-Marc

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Interference by other macros? Dec 9, 2004

Hi again,
Microsoft Visual Basic

still pops up when I try to get a term from my term base...

Having contacted Trados Support, they tell me that the method you're referring to is not used in the GetTerm macro. Are there other macros active on your system, which might interfere?

Best regards,
Ralf

France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I'm going to check Dec 9, 2004

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your inquiry at Trados support. Yesterday and this morning, the problem has not appeared again, thanks God.
But you're right, there might be conflict with other macros. I'm going to have a look.

Best regards,

Jean-Marc

Laura Bergamini
Local time: 05:14
English to Italian
ExecuteWordCommandLong Dec 18, 2004

Hi,

I just had this problem for the first time since I have used Trados (10+ years). There are no other macros interfering with my work, and I don't even have MultiTerm running. I need to close Trados, reopen it and skip that particular sentence in order to continue working.

There seems to be nothing strange within the problematic sentence, but Trados keeps popping that message just the same.

Did you guys find anything else that could help?

Tx,
Laura

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Can I check the file? Dec 18, 2004

Hi Laura,
Did you guys find anything else that could help?

Can you please contact me through my profile? I'd like to take a look at the file, to see if I get the same message.

Best, Ralf

France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved ! Dec 29, 2004

[/quote]
Having contacted Trados Support, they tell me that the method you're referring to is not used in the GetTerm macro. Are there other macros active on your system, which might interfere?

Best regards,
Ralf[/quote]

Hi Ralf,

Thanks again for your concern. I'm now almost sure to have found the origin of the problem! It does not come from any Word macro. It comes from the NON-BREAKABLE SPACE (Ctrl + Shift + Space bar) which, in French, is automatically added by Word right before a number of characters such as the question mark, e.g.

Actually, in my case, the problem occurred the following way. My starting material was a Word table containing a huge bilingual EN>FR glossary. After the last word of some FR translations which I was not sure of, I had entered question marks (and, thus, those non-breakable spaces). I copied-pasted this table into an Excel document having the exact structure of my termbase. Then I used Multi-Term Convert to create a XML file from the XLS file. Finally, I imported this XML into MultiTerm.

While using TradosWorkbench, everything works fine untill MultiTerm is asked (through the keyboard or a mouse click) to insert a non-breakable space-containing term. Although this special space is invisible under MultiTerm, it remains in the term field and is not processed/considered as a normal space.

Deleting those spaces in the concerned entries, what I'm doing one by one now, results in the error message not being displayed anymore!

Best regards and wishes for the New Year,

Jean-Marc

Germany
English to German
+ ...
I'll notify Trados Support Dec 29, 2004

Thanks, Jean-Marc,
I'll draw the attention of Trados Support to this.

Best regards,
Ralf

France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Already done Dec 29, 2004

Thank you very much Ralf, but don't take time to do it. I've already reported the origin of this problem to Trados Support, Belgium.

I quote a part of their very kind reply (yesterday):

"I understand that this must be very inconvenient for French users of MultiTerm and I'll forward this to our developers.
I hope they will be able to solve this in a future release or with a patch, but I cannot tell you when this is going to be. For the moment they are all on holiday and they are currently working on the new Translator's Workbench release.

I hope you understand this and I will let you know as soon as I've had some news on this from our developers."

Best regards,

Jean-Marc

Laura Bergamini
English to Italian
Non-breaking spaces and macro error Dec 30, 2004

In my case, there are no non-breaking spaces in the sentences that cause this problem. This happened yesterday as well (quite frequently) and independently of Word/Office. I was translating in TagEditor and Trados crashed on the same sentence in TE as in Word. So I don't think it's a conflict with VisualBasic code or other Word macros, nor - at least for me - a problem with the non-breaking spaces.

Here is the paragraph:

You can configure GPS parameters.
This function can only be activated on TK-7180/ TK-7189/ TK-8180/ TK-8189 transceivers.
Unless None is configured for COM port 0 to COM port 2, the GPS tab is active, and you can configure the parameters.

The second sentence is the paragraph is the one causing the error message in Trados, by skipping that, everything else works fine.

Thanks!
Laura

ckatsidonis  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 18:14
English to French
+ ...
Solved problem May 11, 2005

Hi all,

I know this thread is quite old but I found it through Google searching for a solution to this " (-2147417851):(-2147417851): (null)" problem.

Trados' support website only refers to this problem as being a workbench 5.5 specific one. THe fact is that using 6.5.5.438, I received the same error message.

The solution is quite simple, you have to update TW 6.5.5.438 to TW 6.5.5.441 by downloading a patch at https://trados.subscribenet.com/. You will need a username and a password, of course. Trados supplies it...

This remains thus as a note for people with this particular problem.

Regards,

Charalambos Katsidonis
Director
Polymathe Pte. Ltd.

Beatrice Hercend  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Same message with different background Oct 18, 2005

Hi all,

I get the same error message on trying to open a segment containing field codes in MS Word. Actually, I cannot open any of the segments containing field codes (no problem with other segments).

I use Trados 6.0 and MS Word 2003 under Windows XP.

I already tried to:
- reorganize the TM
- export TM and import it in a new TM
- download Trados patches

What else can I do?
Thank you in advance for any suggestion.

Béatrice

[Edited at 2005-10-18 13:41]

Robyn Hackett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:14
German to English
+ ...
Right build, still get same message Mar 31, 2006

Hi

I am using build 6.5.5.441, as suggested, but have now encountered the problem both in Tag Editor when using Powerpoint and when using Workbench and Word without any term recognition (all using Office 2003). It is a shame that ProZ is the only place to research the problem: nothing at all that I can find at Trados.

So, does anyone else encounter the problem under these conditions? I have no non-breaking spaces, and it is true that if I move to another section, sometimes it helps.

Thanks

Same error message, different problem Jun 28, 2006

Hello, everybody. I'm using Trados 7.1.0.719 (719) but I don't use Multiterm. I have a number of documents that closes when I try to open some determined segments, not all, working with Word 2002 (10.6.802.6735) SP3. And if I try to clean those files, a message error appears: The system threw an exception, -2147417851, and I cannot clean or translate the file. I tried with old TM, new TM, empty TM, and the result is always the same.
I did everything Ralph mentioned in the forum, except I do not use Multiterm, actually even I have no multiterm installed. And (may be not related, who knows), one of the documents uses Arial and Trados changes it automatically to Times New Roman, may be the styles of the document are wrong anywhere and that's all or part of the problem. For example, I have a phrase: "The TRIO TRIALS:". If its written with a hard returns, Word closes when I try to open this segment, but if I delete the hard return and I join it with de previous paragraph, I can translate this segment but I cannot clean the file (so, there must be some other problem). I see no codes, marks or something else. It's a very complicated document, with a big number of styles, graphs and so, but the same happens with other documents more simple.

I'm afraid I have some kind of incompatibility between Trados and Word and that such problem is "exclusive" of "my computer" and, so, it could be almost impossible for me to find it.

Thanks a lot for reading such a long message. Have a nice day. Paloma

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message: (-2147417851):(-2147417851): (null) and related

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs