Thread poster: Ahmed Maher
Ahmed Maher
Ahmed Maher  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:16
English to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 17, 2014

Hi,

I have Excel file to translate. I also have another list of words and phrases repeated in this Ecel file and I want to hide such words before translation.
The list somehow big and it is impossible to hide the words and phrases manually.
I need to keep the words in this list in source language after translation with Trados Studio.

Let me know if any clarification required.

Thanks very much.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe do a VLOOKUP... Aug 17, 2014

... in Excel against this list and have the formulae add some text to an empty column. Then filter on that column once it contains some text and hide all these rows. Now translate the file.

Would something like that work? Clearly without seeing your file I have no idea if this is an approach that would work but it might give you an idea.

Regards

Paul

Ahmed Maher
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sample file sent Aug 18, 2014

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for your post.
I sent a sample file to your page at ProZ.

Let me know if any further query.

Regards,
Ahmed Maher

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Ok - now I understand what you want Aug 18, 2014

Hi Ahmed,

All you have to do is copy the stuff you want to remain as is and add it to your variable list in your TM. This way the text will remain untranslated when you get a match in your TM, and can be easily placed and recognised as non-translatable text when you are in a new segment.

Hiding them is not the right answer because they are actually within the sentences your are working on. So you just need to make them variables.

If you have Studio 2014 i
... See more
Hi Ahmed,

All you have to do is copy the stuff you want to remain as is and add it to your variable list in your TM. This way the text will remain untranslated when you get a match in your TM, and can be easily placed and recognised as non-translatable text when you are in a new segment.

Hiding them is not the right answer because they are actually within the sentences your are working on. So you just need to make them variables.

If you have Studio 2014 it's pretty simple because you can use the openexchange application called Variables Manager to simply copy the list from excel straight in.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Ahmed Maher
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Post-edit job Aug 18, 2014

Thanks a lot, Paul.

This is a post-edit job where we are required to use one of MT plug-ins in Trados Studio. Having such variables in English in target MT output will save a lot of time. This is client requirement to keep such phrases in English while doing the post-edit. I sent you a screen shot of what I got after adding our phrases to Variable List. MT server has not recognized them and translated them.
Our goal is to advice MT server not to translate them. That's why I
... See more
Thanks a lot, Paul.

This is a post-edit job where we are required to use one of MT plug-ins in Trados Studio. Having such variables in English in target MT output will save a lot of time. This is client requirement to keep such phrases in English while doing the post-edit. I sent you a screen shot of what I got after adding our phrases to Variable List. MT server has not recognized them and translated them.
Our goal is to advice MT server not to translate them. That's why I think about hiding these phrases in source Excel file.

Ahmed Maher
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
In this case... Aug 18, 2014

... what you could do is add them to a termbase with source and target the same, and then take advantage of SDL Language Cloud where you can load a TBX of these terms into Language Cloud and it can use these in the Machine Translation so they are not translated.

You could test this via the Language Cloud trial if you like... assuming you are using Studio 2014 of course.

I used your sample xls and tested this out. So I created a Multiterm Termbase with the same source/t
... See more
... what you could do is add them to a termbase with source and target the same, and then take advantage of SDL Language Cloud where you can load a TBX of these terms into Language Cloud and it can use these in the Machine Translation so they are not translated.

You could test this via the Language Cloud trial if you like... assuming you are using Studio 2014 of course.

I used your sample xls and tested this out. So I created a Multiterm Termbase with the same source/target as your non-translatable list and then exported this to TBX in Multiterm. I then loaded this as a dictionary in Language Cloud and enabled it in Studio like this:

The results (and I can't comment on the quality of the MT for this untrained engine, I just wanted to show you how this works) before the dictionary were these:

After I added the dictionary it was this:

The MultiTerm Dictionary I added contained these for this segment:

So quite useful and it allows you to have instant changes to the Machine Translation being returned.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Ahmed Maher
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looks great Aug 18, 2014

The translation in this sample by SDL Language Cloud is great and much better than Google Translate.
It was our client requirement to use Google Translate, but I will discuss considering SDL Language Cloud than Google Translate.
In case of Google Translate, is there similar or other work around?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
None that I'm aware of... Aug 18, 2014

Hi Ahmed,

I think Language Cloud is fairly unique amongst the many plug-in MT providers for Studio and is the only one that can offer you the capability to instantly improve an MT suggestion based on a list of approved terminology.

Regards

Paul

Ahmed Maher
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great tool Aug 20, 2014

Hi Paul,

I have checked SDL Language Cloud yesterday, and prices looks really reasonable. Thanks very much for all your help.

Ahmed Maher

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hide batch list of words in Excel before translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »