Best way to remove < span > < /span > tags anyone?
Thread poster: Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:36
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sep 18, 2014

Hi all. I have just imported a tmx file provided by a team mate. I'm not sure what version she is on. I am on 2014. When I look at the imported TM, it is full of tags - this is the first time I have encountered this and the concepts around prior versions, cleaning files etc. are entirely foreign to me, I only started using Studio at version 2011.

Is there a nice neat way to get rid of them, please? (My solution at the moment is to use xbench to export to excel and replace...)
... See more
Hi all. I have just imported a tmx file provided by a team mate. I'm not sure what version she is on. I am on 2014. When I look at the imported TM, it is full of tags - this is the first time I have encountered this and the concepts around prior versions, cleaning files etc. are entirely foreign to me, I only started using Studio at version 2011.

Is there a nice neat way to get rid of them, please? (My solution at the moment is to use xbench to export to excel and replace...)

Alternatively, should I be asking my colleague to export her tmx differently?

Many thanks!
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
How clean do you want to get? Sep 18, 2014

Hi Sian,

Studio can import a TMX as plain text which would remove tags. It's an option when you select Import TMX.

You could also try something like SDLTmConvert on the OpenExchange which can be more clever in it's actions. This tool can remove all tags too, but it can also be more selective in various ways that might be helpful.

You could also have a play with Olifant but I don't know who much more useful this would be than the above options.

... See more
Hi Sian,

Studio can import a TMX as plain text which would remove tags. It's an option when you select Import TMX.

You could also try something like SDLTmConvert on the OpenExchange which can be more clever in it's actions. This tool can remove all tags too, but it can also be more selective in various ways that might be helpful.

You could also have a play with Olifant but I don't know who much more useful this would be than the above options.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Sian Cooper
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks Paul! Sep 18, 2014

I just want no entries. I would prefer it to keep the Studio formatting tags - the ones that show in purple, to get all techy on you - because the file has both. But yes I could certainly use the plain text option to get at least the words in there! I hadn't realised it would strip the bits out for me - visually they look like plain text, so it didn't occur to me.

I hadn't bothered to get SDLTMConvert, because I h
... See more
I just want no entries. I would prefer it to keep the Studio formatting tags - the ones that show in purple, to get all techy on you - because the file has both. But yes I could certainly use the plain text option to get at least the words in there! I hadn't realised it would strip the bits out for me - visually they look like plain text, so it didn't occur to me.

I hadn't bothered to get SDLTMConvert, because I had Xbench which seemed to do the job (although it is serious overkill given tmx conversion is all I use it for and it has tons of functionality in it - but I find the base use concept rather confusing and... I'm too lazy to work it out).

I've not looked at Oliphant - opinions seem very shared between that and Xbench, if I remember rightly - but I'll have a peep, why not

Thanks again! Sian
Collapse

Sian Cooper
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Oh woops - I needed to use a few slashes eh Sep 18, 2014

So I just want no / entries - I hope that will work - or "" - or something. I expect you sort of got the gist though

Sian Cooper
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Damn it! It's the bits with the word span in. "span" Sep 18, 2014

It's obviously a reserved thingy and won't print it. Sorry.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
No worries... Sep 18, 2014

... you're not the only one so I actually wrote a blog about this very annoying problem!

http://wp.me/p2xDjK-HZ

Cheers

Paul

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
We can see it when we hit "reply" Sep 19, 2014

SDL Support wrote:
You're not the only one so I actually wrote a blog about this very annoying problem!

At least people who reply to posts can see the tags when they hit "reply".

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Paul Sep 19, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

Will Trados 2014 also remove tags from a TMX file if those tags only look like tags to humans (i.e. they start with <: and end with >) but don't contain any tags themselves (e.g. <bpt> etc.) to identify them as tags?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Only if they choose "Quote"... Sep 19, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

SDL Support wrote:
You're not the only one so I actually wrote a blog about this very annoying problem!

At least people who reply to posts can see the tags when they hit "reply".

... but you're right and it gives you an opportunity to correct it for others if you see fit. And of course if you choose quote and the original was correctly rendered you lose all that when you post unless you correct their code too as the forum removes the original entities and only shows the angle brackets when you edit. It is a pain!

[Edited at 2014-09-19 06:48 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Would have to test... Sep 19, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

Will Trados 2014 also remove tags from a TMX file if those tags only look like tags to humans (i.e. they start with <: and end with >) but don't contain any tags themselves (e.g. <bpt> etc.) to identify them as tags?

... so will look later on.

Paul

pep
pep
English to Spanish
Watch this playlist and 32 minutes later you will master Xbench Sep 19, 2014

Sian Cooper wrote:

I hadn't bothered to get SDLTMConvert, because I had Xbench which seemed to do the job (although it is serious overkill given tmx conversion is all I use it for and it has tons of functionality in it - but I find the base use concept rather confusing and... I'm too lazy to work it out).

I think that if you watch this 32-minute playlist, you will get a pretty good understanding of Xbench: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUVQmKnkffaq4mKYfU2ZMmyYB0VvleloB

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best way to remove < span > < /span > tags anyone?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »