Mobile menu

TagEditor "shrinks" html code
Thread poster: SusannaC

SusannaC  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:33
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 14, 2004

Dear all,
I am using TagEditor to translate web pages, for the first time the client is complaining about the fact that apparently the original web page has 89 lines of html code, while my translated file has just 16.
The translated web page is displayed as the original...
Do you know why is this happens?
Do you know how to avoid that?
Do you know if is it a real problem?
Thank you!
Susanna


Direct link Reply with quote
 

RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 09:33
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
More details Dec 14, 2004

Hello,

there some possible problems:

1: HTML code is incorrect. Use the fuill tag view and take a look ont the tags. Are there some texte elements whioch TagEditors has included in long tags ? --> Fix the4 html structure errors.

2: There is text in skripts. --> Try to edit the ini for the htmal files. It is possible to make text in attributes of Tags translatable.

Regards

Hans


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 10:33
English to Russian
A missing quote can do a lot of harm Dec 14, 2004

DSC wrote: 1: HTML code is incorrect.

My point too. A missing quote may prevent CAT from handling the code properly, at the sam etime the browser will not stumble on it. Look for online code verifiers or inspect it yourself. Some reference is here http://www.w3schools.com


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Check what is missing Dec 14, 2004

If you open the source and target files in Notepad you can probably see what is missing. And this is not necessarily a real problem, because double spaces and end of paragraph marks are usually ignored by browsers anyway (except in "pre" tags).

Direct link Reply with quote
 

SusannaC  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:33
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
consider that a script error is present in the original Dec 14, 2004

I know... but:

1) anytime I opened the original web page a script error message was displayed..
2) the script error was displayed everytime that I made the preview in TagEditor both in original page and on the transaltion
3) I do not why but at a certain point instead of going to a new line... everything is written in a one long long long line, I mean translation and html....
Is it my duty as translator to fix it?
Thanks



Aleksandr Okunev wrote:

DSC wrote: 1: HTML code is incorrect.

My point too. A missing quote may prevent CAT from handling the code properly, at the sam etime the browser will not stumble on it. Look for online code verifiers or inspect it yourself. Some reference is here http://www.w3schools.com[/quote]

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Unix format? Dec 14, 2004

Just another idea: if the file was (partially) written on Linux and downloaded as binary instead of ASCII, the Unix line breaks (as opposed to Windows line breaks) could cause this behaviour, including the script error.

Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor "shrinks" html code

Advanced search


Translation news related to SDL Trados





PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs