Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Does it EVER work in Word without problems?
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur
dgmaga (X)
dgmaga (X)
English to Spanish
Some references: Check the manual and the support knowledge base Jan 4, 2005

Hi, all,

In case it helps, it is often useful to check the Trados support knowledge base (http://support.trados.com). I searched for "end of paragraph not found" and I found a useful article on the table of contents: http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=840

Then also, you shou
... See more
Hi, all,

In case it helps, it is often useful to check the Trados support knowledge base (http://support.trados.com). I searched for "end of paragraph not found" and I found a useful article on the table of contents: http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=840

Then also, you should have in your Trados CD a PDF file called "File formats reference guide", which has quite a few useful tips for translating Word files.

I apologise if this sounds a bit like RTFM but I realise how frustrating it is to spend hours trying to sort out something because I didn't have the time to read the manual...

Daniel
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:27
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem "solved". Really solved? Jan 4, 2005

[quote]Daniel García Magariños wrote:

Marinus replies: Good point, problem "solved". On the other hand, why can Trados not handle this issue by itself? A program that doesn't adjust to the needs of the user, but requires the user to continually learn how to work around problems is not a goog program to me. Nevertheless, thanks!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:27
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Dear Marinus Jan 4, 2005

this is the same, as with anything you use in your life.
It is allways you, who needs to adapt to things you use. If you drive Mercedes E, you will not have a usuall handbrake for example. You need to lear how to use a mobile, a PC and so on.
Even Word, which can be assumed the best known program at all, needs to be learned. There are a lot of functions, which the most of us are not aware of. Does this make Word a bad program?

Sorry, but I cannot understand such argument
... See more
this is the same, as with anything you use in your life.
It is allways you, who needs to adapt to things you use. If you drive Mercedes E, you will not have a usuall handbrake for example. You need to lear how to use a mobile, a PC and so on.
Even Word, which can be assumed the best known program at all, needs to be learned. There are a lot of functions, which the most of us are not aware of. Does this make Word a bad program?

Sorry, but I cannot understand such argumentation. If we would think in this categories, then what sense would schools make?

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

sophietao
sophietao
China
Local time: 08:27
English to Chinese
+ ...
How to translate Table of Contents in Word Jul 24, 2007

Hi Marinus,
I am new of using Trados, and I am coming here to search some solutions for the problem I met now. I can not translate Table of Contents in Word. The trados button "Open and Get" or "Open" just can not be activated.

It seems that you alsom met the problem before. Could you share some of your experience on this problem?

Thanks a lot

Sophie

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:27
English to German
+ ...
No translatable content in ToC Jul 24, 2007

Hi Sophie,
May I suggest you use the forum search function - this issue has been discussed several times.

I am new of using Trados, and I am coming here to search some solutions for the problem I met now. I can not translate Table of Contents in Word. The trados button "Open and Get" or "Open" just can not be activated.

That's because - assuming the ToC has been created automatically, using the corresponding Word function - the table does not contain translatable content, but a series of links to headings in the document. This should not be translated, but updated after translation and clean-up.

HTH, Ralf

sophietao
sophietao
China
Local time: 08:27
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you Jul 25, 2007

I solved the problem, thank you very much!

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:27
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Two Trados options for translating problematic Word files Jul 25, 2007

1) For those that use Trados 7 (or above): translate the Word file using Tag editor, not the "WYSIWYG" Word interface: this is the solution actually suggested by SDL, and it is actually much more stable than using the Word interface (also, most of the formatting problems disappear this way.

2) If you use an older version of Trados (6.5 or below), where translating Word files with Tag editor is not an option, I suggest that, for those files that cause the most problems (Word files t
... See more
1) For those that use Trados 7 (or above): translate the Word file using Tag editor, not the "WYSIWYG" Word interface: this is the solution actually suggested by SDL, and it is actually much more stable than using the Word interface (also, most of the formatting problems disappear this way.

2) If you use an older version of Trados (6.5 or below), where translating Word files with Tag editor is not an option, I suggest that, for those files that cause the most problems (Word files that carsh word, for example), going back to MS Word 2000 is actually the best bet: I have it installed on a second computer, and usually it can open without any problem Word files that regularly crash under MS Word 2003 or MS Word XP.

Most of the MS Word-Trados problem are much more Microsoft's fault than Trados', in my opinion.

I am increasingly dissatisfied with Trados, but mostly for other reasons, such as the fact that its fuzzy matching algorithms are among the worst on the market, or the fact that Tag editor is such a crippled editor.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does it EVER work in Word without problems?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »