Mobile menu

TRADOS: How to access previous segment(s)
Thread poster: Frank Hesse

Frank Hesse  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:39
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 21, 2004

I ormally use WordFast and going back and forth between segments is a simple procedure, ie Alt Up and Alt Down. With TRADOS, however I haven't been able to figure out how to go to a previous segment after it has been accepted.
Any experience eith this? Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 20:39
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Use the maintenance function Dec 21, 2004

Follow the following steps in the Workbench window:

File>Maintenance>Begin Search

Then you can scroll through one page of TU's at a time. To edit a TU click the righ-mouse-button on the flag of the source or target language.

If you want to search for TU's that contain a certain word or string, the easiest way is to use concordance, although you can also define a filter in the maintenance operation. The search/replace option in maintenance is very functional but counter-intuitive (i.e. very Trados).

[Edited at 2004-12-21 00:14]

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
Trados doesn't have it Dec 21, 2004

Wordfast and Fusion allow you to go up as well as down, but not Trados. That feature is on the users' wishlist.

Best,
Esther

Australia
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for that. It certainly isn't as user-frinedly as WordFast :) Dec 21, 2004

Alaa Zeineldine wrote:

Follow the following steps in the Workbench window:

File>Maintenance>Begin Search

Then you can scroll through one page of TU's at a time. To edit a TU click the righ-mouse-button on the flag of the source or target language.

If you want to search for TU's that contain a certain word or string, the easiest way is to use concordance, although you can also define a filter in the maintenance operation. The search/replace option in maintenance is very functional but counter-intuitive (i.e. very Trados).

[Edited at 2004-12-21 00:14]

Australia
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So, is Alaa's way the only way to achieve this? Dec 21, 2004

Esther Pfeffer wrote:

Wordfast and Fusion allow you to go up as well as down, but not Trados. That feature is on the users' wishlist.

Best,
Esther

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:39
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Quit and put the cursor on the previous entry Dec 21, 2004

Then start translating. At least so I do in TagEditor, with Wordfiles I haven't used Trados yet, but it should work. The TM will update after you enter the segment anew. Or should I say TU for segment?
In Word all normal functions work, so one can replace as normal. Of course the TM won't update, unless one cleans the file, but that's the same in Wf.

[Edited at 2004-12-21 02:45]

Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Topic moved Dec 21, 2004

I moved this thread to Trados support. You might get more input there.

Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Do this with care Dec 21, 2004

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Then start translating. At least so I do in TagEditor, with Wordfiles I haven't used Trados yet, but it should work. The TM will update after you enter the segment anew. Or should I say TU for segment?
In Word all normal functions work, so one can replace as normal. Of course the TM won't update, unless one cleans the file, but that's the same in Wf.

[Edited at 2004-12-21 02:45]

You have to be careful when doing this in Word as Trados will have no idea that you are editing the TU. When you later clean, make sure that you check the option to "update TM". If you "don't update", your change will only affect the document; but if you have the options set to "update Documentt", your changes will be overwritten by the original TU. I frequently edit he document and the TU to be cautious. Quite horrible I agree.

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Ando Tools enhance Trados Dec 21, 2004

Frank Hesse wrote:

Esther Pfeffer wrote:

Best,
Esther

If you install Ando Tools http://soukie.wz.cz/atools/index.php - you will have and additional keyboard shortcut that does that: Ctrl+Alt+Num-

A word of caution though: do not enable the bookmark protection feature in Ando Tools (it is broken for the time being), but the keyboard shortcuts work alright.

HTH

Piotr

[Edited at 2004-12-22 13:33]

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
see Michael Bastin's solution Dec 21, 2004

solution Aug 24, 2003

http://www.proz.com/topic/7133

Henk Peelen wrote:

That's a feature I've always been missing in Trados (although I never used another CAT tool that featured it).

I found the perfect solution there http://geocities.com/wordfast/downgrade.html
I can now used Trados like Wordfast, isn't it great ?

Another disadvantage of the newer Trados versions is in my opinion the fact that selecting till the end of the line with keys (so: Shift + End, a very usefull method for deleting the remnant of the source text) includes the paragraph sign. Doing so and subsequently clicking the Delete key gives you problems. In Trados 2.2 the alinea paragraph was not included while you were selecting with Shift + End. Much more comfortable!

I have the same problem, I like to delete the end of the sentence with shift + end, but often distroy the code, so instead I do it with Shift + right arrow, which is much more cumbersome.

Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
not my solution Dec 22, 2004

but Champiollon's solution)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS: How to access previous segment(s)

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs