Thread poster: Valeria Verona

Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:21
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 21, 2004

Hi, everybody.
I hope you can help me. I used TagEditor 6.5 to translate some html files. It is not the first time I use it but it is the first time a client complains that "all the code ended up on just a few lines. For example,
the file index.htm was originally on 89 lines. The translated file you sent me was condensed into 15 lines. This makes
any changes very hard to do. Open the file in a text editor and see for yourself."
I did and it was true.
Does anybody know what is going on? I have no idea. Please, help!! =(

PS. I have Window XP, if it makes any difference.

[Edited at 2004-12-21 02:32]

Direct link Reply with quote

Luciano Monteiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:21
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Line breaks Dec 21, 2004

Hello Valeria

As I explained to you in private, I believe this condensation has to do with the format of the file you received. It was probably produced on a platform other than Windows and, when opened on Notepad, you were not be able to see most of the line breaks. I believe that, if you rename your htm file as a txt document and open it on Microsoft Word, it will ask you whether you want to open the document as a Windows file, and, if you do so, you may later be able to save it as a new file (retaining the txt format) and then rename it back as an htm file. It is hoped that both Notepad (and, most importantly, Tag Editor) will now recognize every line break and there will be no problem with your output file. The downside is that the file may be segmented in a different fashion and you might need to translate your document again.

I know it did not seem to work at first, but you should try some similar procedure, for I genuinely believe the problem was with the original file rather than with anything Tag Editor might have done.

Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:21
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
To Luciano Dec 21, 2004

Hi, Luciano.
I see what you mean... There are no line breaks in the original files nor in my translations if I open then with Note Pad...
The problem is it is terribly hard work to open every file and do the suggested procedure manually, especially when the project's big...
Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it
Saludos back,

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
FTP conversion Dec 21, 2004

Hi Vale,
To convert the line breaks of many files at once you could upload them with any FTP program (to any space you have) using Binary mode and download them using ASCII mode, because downloading in ASCII mode performs exactly this conversion.

This works if the original file format is Unix, I did not try it with Mac format, yet.
Of course, the best practice would be to download the files in ASCII mode from the FTP server of your customer, translate them, and upload them in ASCII mode again, so the files will have their original format again.

HTH, Harry

[Edited at 2004-12-21 12:11]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

code condensation

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs