Thread poster: sunnymica
sunnymica
sunnymica  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:40
French to German
+ ...
Nov 20, 2014

After installing Trados Studio/MultiTerm 2014 SP2 everything seemed fine until I opened the first document. It says in every editor line when I reach the next segment to be translated:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

After clicking "Ok" I can continue my work but this error is quite annoying, it pops up in every single line. Java & .Netframe are updated to the last verision, my operating system is Windows 8.1.

I need help! Thanks
... See more
After installing Trados Studio/MultiTerm 2014 SP2 everything seemed fine until I opened the first document. It says in every editor line when I reach the next segment to be translated:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

After clicking "Ok" I can continue my work but this error is quite annoying, it pops up in every single line. Java & .Netframe are updated to the last verision, my operating system is Windows 8.1.

I need help! Thanks in advance!

Regina

[Bearbeitet am 2014-11-20 14:41 GMT]
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:40
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Some suggestions that usually solve this issue Nov 20, 2014

The two most common ways to solve this issue are: First, try to reset your Window layout. If that doesn't work, reset studio.

For more details about how to do this, see KB article #4984.

sunnymica
Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back to SP1 Nov 20, 2014

Thank you very much for your help.

I tried every single solution available but the error persists. Finally I deinstalled SP2 and reinstalled SP1.

Now everything is fine again. Do you think I really need the SP2 version or could I simply continue with SP1? Would that be a problem? I have seen other persons here complaining about problems after installing SP2. Perhaps we should wait for a bug-fix release?

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
I wouldn't consider this a bug Nov 20, 2014

I wouldn't consider this a bug because it doesn't seem to be a common issue with SP2, and this error existed long before its release. Not that it makes any difference for you when you encounter it mid-work.

SP2 is generally a step forward if only for the removal of Java, so I would recommend the update. However:

1) If terminology editing is not big part of your workflow, and if you prefer to take the more conservative approach, you can wait a few more weeks until the fi
... See more
I wouldn't consider this a bug because it doesn't seem to be a common issue with SP2, and this error existed long before its release. Not that it makes any difference for you when you encounter it mid-work.

SP2 is generally a step forward if only for the removal of Java, so I would recommend the update. However:

1) If terminology editing is not big part of your workflow, and if you prefer to take the more conservative approach, you can wait a few more weeks until the first Cumulative Update (CU) will be released for SP2.

2) I would very rarely recommend upgrading to a major release/service pack in the middle of a project.

I'd assume that your particular issue is less about SP2 in general and more about a localized issue, and therefore could be resolved (or indeed turn out to be a reproachable bug). Perhaps you would want to give this another try after you complete your existing project and before starting a new one.
Collapse

sunnymica
Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2014 SP2 error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object Nov 21, 2014

Thanks a lot for your help and explanations. I will try it again over the weekend

Ivan Bertrand
Ivan Bertrand  Identity Verified
France
English to French
continuation of discussion Nov 21, 2014

Hello to all my colleagues:
i do have the same error "Object reference...."
i never had this problem before with STUDIO 2014 and 2014 SP1.
It does not happen on every segment but seems to be related somehow on the result of the TM match.
I am sorry I cannot be more explicit.
I am a bit reticent to reverse to SP1 for two reasons:
1 - I tried and failed the installation of SP1 starts then stops telling me that it has detected a newer version of STUDIO (Although
... See more
Hello to all my colleagues:
i do have the same error "Object reference...."
i never had this problem before with STUDIO 2014 and 2014 SP1.
It does not happen on every segment but seems to be related somehow on the result of the TM match.
I am sorry I cannot be more explicit.
I am a bit reticent to reverse to SP1 for two reasons:
1 - I tried and failed the installation of SP1 starts then stops telling me that it has detected a newer version of STUDIO (Although I removed it using the windows panel). It feels like there is some manual clean up to do before you can revert to SP1? DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO DO THIS ?
2 - I would rather help SDL fix SP2 than ignore SP2
any help is welcome.
Regards
Ivan
Collapse

sunnymica
Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Remove suite of Trados 2014 products Nov 21, 2014

First of all it's curious to learn that there is someone else encounting the same problem.

To return to SP1 I took the following action:

Start -> Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall a program

Uninstall the program "SDL Trados 2014 SP2 - Remove suite of products." The same with MultiTerm.

Go to your download folder and run the file SDLTradosStudio2014_SP1_3931.exe and follow the instructions. Thus I got back to SP1.

Ivan Bertrand
France
English to French

Dear Sunnymica:
Thank you very much for this, i will try this.
Silly me I was trying to uninstall Studio SP2 and not the programm you mentionned.
I do confirm that I have this problem of Object reference not set to an instance, and this is something new for me that came with SP2.
I have requested some tech support for this and will keep you posted.
regards
Ivan

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Object reference not set to an instance of an object is a known issue Nov 21, 2014

Object reference not set to an instance of an object is a known issue since the release of Studio 2009.

Most of the time it could be fixed by resetting the windows layout (of the Editor window), at other times it requires full reset of Studio. Have your tried the solutions in the KB linked above, Ivan?

And another suggestion. Try to re-index the TM that you are using when this message appear, and see if everything changes.

Ivan Bertrand
France
English to French

Hello Shai:
i did do the KB reinit with the repair but it did not fix th bug.
I will try reindexing the TM but I doubt this will fix the thing since when I am using only SLD Cloud as a TM I am facing the same problem.
But I will try.
thanks anyhow.
regards
Ivan

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Interesting Nov 21, 2014

This is interesting, and if persisting, will need a more in-depth investigation.

I don't have further suggestions at the moment, but think that I would have tried repair install (or even a full uninstall and reinstall of Studio [don't forget to deactivate if first]).

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I think... Nov 21, 2014

... you should log a case and have Technical Support take a look. I have not seen or heard of anything like this before, and if you have tried all the solutions suggested here I think the best approach is to have the support team take a look... presumably you also checked this article?

The Object Ref. error is not one error, so it's not t
... See more
... you should log a case and have Technical Support take a look. I have not seen or heard of anything like this before, and if you have tried all the solutions suggested here I think the best approach is to have the support team take a look... presumably you also checked this article?

The Object Ref. error is not one error, so it's not that simple. The message comes from your operating system and could have been triggered by many things. The fact it says Obj. Ref. in the first place means we don't know what it is as we do try to intercept and decode things when we can.

Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder ( http://kb.sdl.com/?cid=23&tab=sf ) and now go here;

Download & Installation Problems
- I use SDL Trados Studio and/or SDL MultiTerm 2009, 2011 or 2014
-- The installation went fine but now I get an error message etc
--- The problem occurs in (pick the appropriate tool/s)
---- None of the articles resolved my problem (if they didn’t!)

Follow the route for your problem and if there is no answer that helps by the time you get to the end you'll be presented with a form to contact support. Complete all the fields in the form making sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

Also use the Chrome browser to log the case if you have it; you'll get more success in completing the form.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

sunnymica
Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Second try failed as well Nov 21, 2014

Unfortunately I have to report, that the installation have failed after the second unsuccessful attempt. The message Object reference... persists.

I haven't run the installer from within my browser, Studio was'nt running while installing SP2. All layout settings were accepted while starting Studio.

I reset the Window Layout, the error message still appears. I tried reindexing the TM, than I renamed the setting files and run a repair installation. The error persists. ... See more
Unfortunately I have to report, that the installation have failed after the second unsuccessful attempt. The message Object reference... persists.

I haven't run the installer from within my browser, Studio was'nt running while installing SP2. All layout settings were accepted while starting Studio.

I reset the Window Layout, the error message still appears. I tried reindexing the TM, than I renamed the setting files and run a repair installation. The error persists.

Just to inform you.

Have a good weekend
Sunnymica
Collapse

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Contact SDL Nov 21, 2014

Well, if all else failed, contact SDL as Paul suggested above and they will sort this out.

Your and Ivan's incidents are the only ones I know of (I don't work at SDL, but I do help some colleagues to upgrade -- but my sample size is too small to be statistically significant), and it would be interesting to know what might be causing this.

[Edited at 2014-11-21 19:26 GMT]

luc buset
luc buset  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Trados 2014 SP2 error Nov 22, 2014

As far as I am concerned I have another error message and cannot open any of my files !!!!
"Value was either too large or too small for an Int 16".
As I don't have time to waste, I will re-install SP1 and wait till they are able to release a working version......

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2014 SP2 error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »