Does Java/Multiterm connect to the internet?
Thread poster: Phil Hand
Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:09
Chinese to English
Dec 26, 2014

I've noticed something very curious: when I try to add words to my termbases in Studio, it's often very slow - like literally five minutes goes by with Studio frozen before it sorts itself out. But I have found that if I have my VPN switched on, it's much quicker - reasonable speed, though still not what I'd call fast.

Is there an internet-related reason for this? Why would improving access to the internet make the link between Studio and Multiterm work faster? Is my information bei
... See more
I've noticed something very curious: when I try to add words to my termbases in Studio, it's often very slow - like literally five minutes goes by with Studio frozen before it sorts itself out. But I have found that if I have my VPN switched on, it's much quicker - reasonable speed, though still not what I'd call fast.

Is there an internet-related reason for this? Why would improving access to the internet make the link between Studio and Multiterm work faster? Is my information being transmitted online?

I use Studio and Multiterm 2011 on an IBM laptop via home WiFi.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:39
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Slow the first time Dec 27, 2014

I use a similar hardware and software combination but with a direct link to the internet. I have noticed that Multiterm is indeed slow in loading the first time (though it certainly doesn't take five minutes) but once it has loaded, the subsequent calls to multiterm are much faster.

I have also noticed a difference in response time with multiterm (and also trados in general) between my laptop and desktop. The former has 4 GB of RAM and the latter 8 GB. So this could also be a memory
... See more
I use a similar hardware and software combination but with a direct link to the internet. I have noticed that Multiterm is indeed slow in loading the first time (though it certainly doesn't take five minutes) but once it has loaded, the subsequent calls to multiterm are much faster.

I have also noticed a difference in response time with multiterm (and also trados in general) between my laptop and desktop. The former has 4 GB of RAM and the latter 8 GB. So this could also be a memory-related issue.

Multiterm works perfectly in my case when the internet is switched off or not available, so I doubt this has anything to do with internet connection.

[Edited at 2014-12-27 02:18 GMT]
Collapse

T o b i a s
T o b i a s
Portuguese to English
+ ...
comment Dec 27, 2014

Phil,

If you are still using Trados 2011, an additional - and very good - reason to upgrade to the current version of Studio 2014 is that they have finally jettisoned Java. Not only that, there are some massively useful new shortcuts when adding to Multiterm. Money very well spent. Best wishes for 2015.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Java/Multiterm connect to the internet?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »