Mobile menu

Softkey: Is it available to all Freelance 6.5 users?
Thread poster: xxxIanW
xxxIanW
Local time: 02:12
German to English
+ ...
Jan 10, 2005

Hi there,

I've been using TRADOS 6.5 Freelance (6.5.5.438) since it was released and have recently heard that there is now an alternative to the dreaded dongle. This would be ideal for my situation, as I work with three different computers.

Can anyone tell me whether I am entitled to one of these softkey files and - if so - how I should go about getting one. I've been on the Translation Zone site, but it's as clear as mud.

Many thanks

Ian

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
AFAIK anyone can exchange dongle to soft key Jan 10, 2005

What I would do, is simply contact Trados in Stuttgart via email/phone. In my case I got the dongle replaced by softkey without any problem (of course for a small fee).

Regards
Jerzy

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Jerzy is right Jan 10, 2005

Hi Ian,

I used WB 6.5.5.438 (Build 439) for a while with a dongle before switching to a softkey. There was no real difficulty but there was a fee. You can switch from dongle to softkey protection via the License Manager in the Help\About... menu of WB.

However, be careful if you have MultiTerm Extract. For some reason, the licence files for WB and TE have the same name (license.lic), even though they function very differently and protect separate programs. It means you can't save both to the same folder.

Still, I have to say that I find the softkey much more convenient than the dongle. My desktop and laptop spend most of their lives hooked up in a LAN. Now I can just shut down Trados on one and open it on the other without the bother of punting the dongle back and forth.

HTH,

Giles

[Edited at 2005-01-10 15:41]

MonikaB  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Three computers Jan 10, 2005

Ian Winick wrote:

I've been using TRADOS 6.5 Freelance (6.5.5.438) since it was released and have recently heard that there is now an alternative to the dreaded dongle. This would be ideal for my situation, as I work with three different computers.

Hi Ian,

as far as I know (not sure, as I don't have Trados myself) you only get two license keys, one for your desktop and one for your laptop computer. Maybe you should check with the Trados support directly whether exchanging the dongle for a softkey license is really going to make life easier for you.

Monika

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
To be precise Jan 10, 2005

I got only one softlicence key and the permission to use it on laptop and PC, but not at the same time.
I canot tell, if this applies to 1+n PCs, this should be checked with Trados.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Softkey: Is it available to all Freelance 6.5 users?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs