Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 2, 2015

One of my customers has been sending me a lot of different jobs lately, and I see that Studio 2011 rejects doc files or ppx files from the word go, and I always have to up the version to docx or pptx, whereupon it works perfectly. The customer suggested I should activate tw4Winmark for the Office formats, and I did that, but it still refuses. It's not critical in that I can always update the versions, but it's annoying.

Anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks.

... See more
One of my customers has been sending me a lot of different jobs lately, and I see that Studio 2011 rejects doc files or ppx files from the word go, and I always have to up the version to docx or pptx, whereupon it works perfectly. The customer suggested I should activate tw4Winmark for the Office formats, and I did that, but it still refuses. It's not critical in that I can always update the versions, but it's annoying.

Anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks.

Mervyn
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Fix what? Mar 2, 2015

Hi Mervyn,

That's a bit of an open question I'm afraid as there couiild be any number of reasons for this problem. If you have a warning about tw4Winmark then you can address this in the filetype options. But if not then the problem is more likely to be something else.

Sometimes a DOC/PPT is really a DOCX/PPTX, or even the other way around, depending on how they are created. This can cause Studio to get a little upset too as it uses the extension to help with the reco
... See more
Hi Mervyn,

That's a bit of an open question I'm afraid as there couiild be any number of reasons for this problem. If you have a warning about tw4Winmark then you can address this in the filetype options. But if not then the problem is more likely to be something else.

Sometimes a DOC/PPT is really a DOCX/PPTX, or even the other way around, depending on how they are created. This can cause Studio to get a little upset too as it uses the extension to help with the recognition and know what filetype to use.

If you can share a file or two I'd be happy to take a look and see whether I can help identify the issue?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul Mar 2, 2015

... once again. I'm afraid I can't share files, sorry.

I wasn't clear about its, sorry, but I don't get a message about tw4Winmark, it's the customer who said it might be that. The message, roughly translated from the Spanish, is:

Cannot load File or assembly [????] "Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Adapter.Framework1. Version=1.0.4623.24376. Culture=neutral". PublicKey Token=c28cdb26c445c888, or any of their dependents. The system cannot find the file specified.
... See more
... once again. I'm afraid I can't share files, sorry.

I wasn't clear about its, sorry, but I don't get a message about tw4Winmark, it's the customer who said it might be that. The message, roughly translated from the Spanish, is:

Cannot load File or assembly [????] "Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Adapter.Framework1. Version=1.0.4623.24376. Culture=neutral". PublicKey Token=c28cdb26c445c888, or any of their dependents. The system cannot find the file specified.

None of which I understand, obviously.

Mervyn
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Just means... Mar 2, 2015

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... Studio cannot find a filetype to match the file you are asking it to open. So I would be suspicious of the file itself.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Just a thought Mar 2, 2015

Have you checked your project settings (Project Settings\File Types) to make sure that Microsoft Word 2000-2003 is enabled?

If it isn't, you can dig it out of the list of available file types and enable it manually.

HTH

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Customer has no problem with it ... Mar 2, 2015

... and apparently they can work with the doc. Word is enabled OK, all versions, as far as I can see. Customer's looking into it as well.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
This doesn't really mean anything... Mar 2, 2015

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... and apparently they can work with the doc. Word is enabled OK, all versions, as far as I can see. Customer's looking into it as well.

... because Word doesn't care whether it's a DOC or DOCX or a wrongly named Word extension. Studio does because it's not Word and it uses the extension to help with the file recognition. Maybe you can anonymise the content and share a file? So search and replace all the text with crosses or something like that, and delete all the images?

Might be easier to resolve if we can stop guessing?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, probably can ... Mar 2, 2015

... anonymise it, Paul, but where should I send it?

Mervyn

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Send it to me... Mar 2, 2015

... [email protected]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 only accepts docx/pptx, not doc/ppt

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »