Mobile menu

How to import WinAlign results into Workbench
Thread poster: aliciaasf
English to Spanish
Jan 11, 2005

Hi everyone!
Could anybody help me with TRADOS? I'm facing problems with Win Align. When I have aligned a pair of documents and then I try to import them to TRADOS Workbench, it does not work! I think the problem is in the different extension names (rtf, doc etc) but I don't know what to do... In case you don't know, can you please tell me about any other forum where they could help?

Thanks a lot.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-01-11 21:54]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:54
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You have to make an export of what you aligned Jan 11, 2005

You canot import a "document pair" into WB.
Open your alignment project in WinAlign and chose "Settings".
There select "Export" and make sure, that "Translator´s Workbench Import Format" is selected. Press OK.
Then go to the menu "File", "Export project" and chose name and location for your export.
You can then import this file into TM via Workbench and you are finished.
Be aware, that the import proces is language sensitive, ie. if you aligned English US with Spanish, but your TM is English GB and Spanish, no text will be imported. In such case open the export with any text editor and replace EN-US by EN-GB or any other language codes as desired.

Aleksandr Surkov
Local time: 18:54
English to Russian
read manual for winalign Jan 11, 2005

Starting the Export
To export the results of one or more file pair alignments, follow these steps:
1 Export the whole project at the same time or export the separate file pairs individually. This
allows you to spread alignment results of different file pairs over separate export files.
C To start exporting the whole project, select Export Project on the File menu. The Export
Project to File dialog box opens.
C To start exporting an individual file pair or a number of file pairs, select the file pair(s),
right-click (or press [Shift]+[F10]) and select Export on the shortcut menu. Alternatively,
you can select Export File Pair on the File menu.
2 The Export File Pair(s) to File dialog box opens. Assign a name and location for the
export file, for example, Result.txt.

Importing the Alignment File into a Translation Memory
Now that WinAlign has successfully carried out an alignment of the two texts and exported the
results to a text file, you can directly import the file into a translation memory. To import an exported
file into Translator’s Workbench:
1 Start Translator’s Workbench.
2 Select Import on the File menu. The Import dialog box opens. Accept the default settings by clicking OK.
The Open Import File dialog box opens. Locate the file name Result.txt to start the import.

English to Spanish
Thanks a million for your help with WinAlign Jan 12, 2005

Thank you very much for your help. I've made it.

MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:54
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do we have to export to Workbench? Aug 30, 2011

What would happen if I choose "Translation Memory ... format" (TMX) instead of Translator's Workbench import format? Would this just directly create a TM that I can start using in Trados Studio 2009 (Professional)?

The file pair that I just aligned is large enough that I want to just make it a separate TM, rather than adding it to the existing one.

I'm new to Trados, SDL, whatever they're all called. I'm having a hard time trying to find instructions that just explain how to do things in good order. Our company has not purchased training, so I have just been using the Help files and tutorials that I can find in the software. It seems that the info found in TranslationZone is basically for installing, troublsehooting, etc., not on actually using the software. Or at least that's what it looks like to me.

I don't even know what Workbench is yet. But I have been doing translations in Trados, using a termbase that I created from Excel, adding terms, and I'm building a TM. Hopefully I'm getting things built up to where this will work well for me.

If I MUST export this into Workbench, please let me know and I will follow the instructions for doing so. But I would like to know what Workbench is for. If it's ok to export it as TMX, please let me know if I need to do anything else with it after doing so before I can use it. Also, I will appreciate it if someone will point me to a place where I can put the pieces all together. I've been needing to jump from one part of instructions to another (and not easily finding them, or remembering where they were) in order to do things step-by-step in proper order, which adds to the time that it takes to learn this.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:54
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A visual tutorial Sep 1, 2011

Hi everyone, I thought this might help:

MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:54
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for the link Sep 6, 2011

I followed your instructions, and it worked! Yippee! I had decided to go ahead and do it via Workbench since I didn't find your reply soon enough, and it worked, too. But yours is quicker for using in Trados Studio 2009, leaving out the steps for the 2007 version. I've been in a maze, trying to sort through the tutorials and help indexes and topics and searches, etc., piecing bits of instruction together so I can take advantage of the TM and termbase features, at least, from the beginning. I will look at some of your other links at the bottom of that article later! Thank you very much!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import WinAlign results into Workbench

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs