Ordering of QuickMerge files for translation
Thread poster: Ben Senior
Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:36
German to English
Mar 28, 2015

I have a project with the files already in a tree structure of folders. When I do a QuickMerge so that I can open them all at once the order in which they appear in the Project Editor is alphabetical ascending. But this is not the order the files appear in when I start navigating the tree structure from the top.

The files are in a MadCap Lingo project which I have opened in Studio, but Studio does not offer a preview of this file type. I have a PDF file but cannot use it efficiently
... See more
I have a project with the files already in a tree structure of folders. When I do a QuickMerge so that I can open them all at once the order in which they appear in the Project Editor is alphabetical ascending. But this is not the order the files appear in when I start navigating the tree structure from the top.

The files are in a MadCap Lingo project which I have opened in Studio, but Studio does not offer a preview of this file type. I have a PDF file but cannot use it efficiently when the files are not in the same order as they appear in the PDF file.

Is there a way to retain the order that they appear in tree structure?

TIA

Ben
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Two things I guess... Mar 28, 2015

... the first is that Studio does of course provide a preview for MadCap files. These are XML and the preview is set by whatever stylesheet and associated images are provided. You just need to add them to the Preview node in the filetype settings. Without these there is no way to know what the file should look like!

The second thing is that the merged files can be listed in the order you select them. I don't know how many there are but perhaps this will help a bit? You hold dow
... See more
... the first is that Studio does of course provide a preview for MadCap files. These are XML and the preview is set by whatever stylesheet and associated images are provided. You just need to add them to the Preview node in the filetype settings. Without these there is no way to know what the file should look like!

The second thing is that the merged files can be listed in the order you select them. I don't know how many there are but perhaps this will help a bit? You hold down the ctrl key in the Files View and select the fikles in the order you wish them to appear.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Ben Senior
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't seem to work. Mar 28, 2015

Hi Paul,

The files are MadCap Lingo files and in XLF format not XLM. I have and cannot get any style sheets and when I activate Preview I get the message "No alternative translation for paragraph db71b...".

There are 24 files spread over 5 sub folders. I selected the files as you suggested, but nothing happened. After holding down the Ctrl key and selecting the files in order should I do anything else, or after picking the last file just release all keys?

R
... See more
Hi Paul,

The files are MadCap Lingo files and in XLF format not XLM. I have and cannot get any style sheets and when I activate Preview I get the message "No alternative translation for paragraph db71b...".

There are 24 files spread over 5 sub folders. I selected the files as you suggested, but nothing happened. After holding down the Ctrl key and selecting the files in order should I do anything else, or after picking the last file just release all keys?

Regards

Ben
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Open for translation. Mar 28, 2015

Ben Senior wrote:

Ben Senior
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Now it works fine Mar 28, 2015

Thanks Paul.

It works now just as you said.

Best regards.

Ben

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ordering of QuickMerge files for translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »