Mobile menu

Trados 6.5 WinAlign - how to manipulate source and target?
Thread poster: Sandra Alboum

Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:59
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 15, 2005

I'm working on the EN>SP translation of a survey. I have been given the old Spanish one from 2003 and the current one in English from 2005. The current one is essentially the same as the old one with a couple updates. So I'm using WinAlign to match up what I can so all I have to do is the new sentences.

One of the issues is that some of the survey questions have been moved around within the text.

When I do WinAlign, oftentimes I am unable to maintain the source text on the left and scroll down on the target to find the translation without WinAlign scrolling down my source, too. This means that once I find in the target the translation for what I was looking for in the source, WinAlign is no longer showing me the same source as before...

(Hope I'm explaining well.)

Is there any way to get around this so that I can manually manipulate both columns and do my alignment?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:59
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I don´t work with WinAlign much, but... Jan 15, 2005

I´m afraid you cannot do this sort of manipulation in WinAlign itself.
Possibly unchecking the option "Synchronised documents" from menu "View" can be a little helpful.
Otherwise the modification of source or target to match the text structure (ie moving sentences to get them in the same order) may perhaps help.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5 WinAlign - how to manipulate source and target?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs