Thread poster: Jacques DP
Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 07:22
English to French
Apr 11, 2015

Hi there,

In a recent conversation here, Paul from SDL kindly pointed me to the "Google Translate AutoSuggest" Studio plug-in, for subsegment level MT. I installed it and experimented with it, and I would like to try it right now on a set of files on which it might be of help.

But even though it is activated in File > Options > AutoSuggest > AutoSuggest Providers, it doesn't seem to work, no suggestions are made. I have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but no
... See more
Hi there,

In a recent conversation here, Paul from SDL kindly pointed me to the "Google Translate AutoSuggest" Studio plug-in, for subsegment level MT. I installed it and experimented with it, and I would like to try it right now on a set of files on which it might be of help.

But even though it is activated in File > Options > AutoSuggest > AutoSuggest Providers, it doesn't seem to work, no suggestions are made. I have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but no change.

So I'd like to ask:

- Is it working for any of you right now? (It might have stopped working altogether because of changes at Google)
- If so, any idea why it wouldn't work? Is there another option to check somewhere, or something else to be aware of in this respect?

Thanks.
Collapse

Alexander Somin
Alexander Somin
Local time: 09:22
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try them both together Apr 11, 2015

Try to install and run also SDL Trados Studio MT Autosuggest (them both).

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I am gettings hits but from whom? Apr 11, 2015

Thanks Alexander for the suggestion, I activated MT Autosuggest as well, and I am in fact getting hits now.

But I'm wondering whose hits these are... I'm getting a long list of hits every time (which seems silly since no sane translator would take the time to read such a list to pick the best translation -- unless they are trying to train the service), which didn't seem to be the case previously with the Google Translate AutoSuggest (when it worked).

[Edited at 2015-04
... See more
Thanks Alexander for the suggestion, I activated MT Autosuggest as well, and I am in fact getting hits now.

But I'm wondering whose hits these are... I'm getting a long list of hits every time (which seems silly since no sane translator would take the time to read such a list to pick the best translation -- unless they are trying to train the service), which didn't seem to be the case previously with the Google Translate AutoSuggest (when it worked).

[Edited at 2015-04-11 18:14 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Perhaps it will help to understand... Apr 11, 2015

... the difference between Google AutoSuggest and MT AutoSuggest?

Google AutoSuggest will work without you having any MT provider in your project at all.

MT AutoSuggest will use whatever MT provider you have in your Project. So if you have Google enabled it will be Google, if you have SDL Language Cloud it will be Language Cloud, if you have Kantan it will be Kantan... etc.

Regards

Paul
<
... See more
... the difference between Google AutoSuggest and MT AutoSuggest?

Google AutoSuggest will work without you having any MT provider in your project at all.

MT AutoSuggest will use whatever MT provider you have in your Project. So if you have Google enabled it will be Google, if you have SDL Language Cloud it will be Language Cloud, if you have Kantan it will be Kantan... etc.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Actually Apr 12, 2015

Thank you Paul for the clarification.

As explained above, the problem was that Google AutoSuggest, used alone, didn't work.
Adding MT AutoSuggest, it started working.
Then I deleted Google AutoSuggest and added Google as provider in the project, and it still worked.
Now I deleted Google as a provider, and it still works.

It seems several things here make no sense in theory, and so I would guess there are at least several bugs. Which is not very surpris
... See more
Thank you Paul for the clarification.

As explained above, the problem was that Google AutoSuggest, used alone, didn't work.
Adding MT AutoSuggest, it started working.
Then I deleted Google AutoSuggest and added Google as provider in the project, and it still worked.
Now I deleted Google as a provider, and it still works.

It seems several things here make no sense in theory, and so I would guess there are at least several bugs. Which is not very surprising if you consider that not many people are using this.

Anyway, it kind of works. I will be happy with it and not spend too much time (in addition to the one already spent) worrying about how and why.
Collapse

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Same problem here Apr 12, 2015

Hello!

I'm having the same problem.
GT AutoSuggest used to work until very recently, and now it does not work any more.
I don't remember if the change occurred after Studio updated or not.
What has changed and why? Was this intentional or accidental?
It would be great if someone could shed some light on this.
Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards,

Marek

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
ok - I don't have any problems with this app Apr 12, 2015

But if you do then I suggest you contact the developer which you can do here : http://community.sdl.com/appsupport

We are going to be closing down the sdk-feedback link for SDL developed OpenExchange apps and all support will be provided through the community. Third party developers may well take advantage of this too as it's a good place for users to discus the apps with each other. I
... See more
But if you do then I suggest you contact the developer which you can do here : http://community.sdl.com/appsupport

We are going to be closing down the sdk-feedback link for SDL developed OpenExchange apps and all support will be provided through the community. Third party developers may well take advantage of this too as it's a good place for users to discus the apps with each other. I know the developer of the Google AutoSuggest app uses this already.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Svetlana Gladkova
Svetlana Gladkova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:22
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Same problem Apr 16, 2015

I've noticed this problem recently as well so if anyone finds a workaround (activating both plug-ins does not fix it for me either, BTW), I'd really appreciate you dropping a reply here.

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Speculations on what is happening, and use of Google Translate through the API Apr 16, 2015

Google is offering programmatic use of Google Translate (GT) for a fee (through an API), and only provides GT free through the web interface. So the GT AutoSuggest plug-in was apparently working around this, possibly using the web interface. Maybe Google saw that and deactivated it, or it just broke because of changes in the Google implementation.

Regarding the hits I was getting after I added MT Autosuggest, they were probably coming from SDL, because that stopped working when my t
... See more
Google is offering programmatic use of Google Translate (GT) for a fee (through an API), and only provides GT free through the web interface. So the GT AutoSuggest plug-in was apparently working around this, possibly using the web interface. Maybe Google saw that and deactivated it, or it just broke because of changes in the Google implementation.

Regarding the hits I was getting after I added MT Autosuggest, they were probably coming from SDL, because that stopped working when my trial subscription to SDL Cloud ended.

I ended up uninstalling GT AutoSuggest, keeping MT AutoSuggest, and getting an API key from Google to use their API service. Note however that it's not free (you pay what you consume, which is fine for me because I don't plan to use it on a regular basis), and also that getting the API key and activating the service is a complicated process. It's a bit strange for freelance translators to be doing that because it's actually aimed at developers.
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:22
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Hand of Google? Apr 25, 2015

If anything Google/API/$ is involved in losing this functionality, it's a great loss. I would be happy to pay Google for feeding me suggestions. It saved me a lot of typing. I wished any TM worked with "auto-suggest" when matches drop below a certain % (e.g. 60%).

I don't like the fully automated translation of segments that is provided by Google as a TM (the AT). It takes too much time reading the translation and reorganizing it. The auto-suggest feature was just great. I hope the
... See more
If anything Google/API/$ is involved in losing this functionality, it's a great loss. I would be happy to pay Google for feeding me suggestions. It saved me a lot of typing. I wished any TM worked with "auto-suggest" when matches drop below a certain % (e.g. 60%).

I don't like the fully automated translation of segments that is provided by Google as a TM (the AT). It takes too much time reading the translation and reorganizing it. The auto-suggest feature was just great. I hope there will be a fix soon.

Will try to contact the developer.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
As I have mentioned already Apr 25, 2015

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

I don't like the fully automated translation of segments that is provided by Google as a TM (the AT). It takes too much time reading the translation and reorganizing it. The auto-suggest feature was just great. I hope there will be a fix soon.

Will try to contact the developer.

You can contact the developer here : http://community.sdl.com/appsupport

He was on leave but responded to that forum yesterday. Google did make some changes, but he is going to look at finding a way to resolve this.

In the meantime if you are happy to pay for this then you can do. Just use the MT Autusuggest plugin instead. This can use whatever MT engine you happen to have in your project as an autosuggest provider. So if you add Google it will use that.

But it uses any so you could also try this with Language Cloud for example and then it doesn't cost anything. The choices are there.

Once you use this app instead you just disable the MT engine in the TM Provider list and then you get the autosuggestions without the TM lookups which is what you want.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Use MT AutoSuggest then Apr 25, 2015

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

I would be happy to pay Google for feeding me suggestions.

Lianne

Why don't you use MT AutoSuggest in this case? It works with different translation engines and also with Google Translate. You simply need configure Google Translate as a translation provider in your project settings and to get an API key in the Developer's Console of your Google account (once). Once you have this API key, you enter it into your settings and off you go.
Google bills you once a month for the number of words you have used. It's very cheap.

I use it regularly since quite a while already and I would not like to miss it (although the results vary a lot depending on the subject).

Walter

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Google Translate Autosuggest Apr 27, 2015

However when Google Translate Autosuggest worked, you could have two MT engines providing suggestions in Autosuggest, which was brilliant (for example Microsoft Translate suggested by MT Autosuggest and Google by Google Autosuggest).
In Deja Vu and Wordfast Classic the option to select all available MT engines for autosuggest has been there for many years now.

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Working again! May 4, 2015

It seems Google Translate AutoSuggest is working again.
Hurray!
Marek

Francisca van der Veen
Francisca van der Veen
English to Dutch
+ ...
Working again? May 5, 2015

Not working for me. I tried to untick and tick again, closed and reopened Studio, but not working. For everybody else it is? Should I maybe install it again?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translate AutoSuggest

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »