Thread poster: Sylvain Leray

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:31
German to French
Jan 17, 2005

Trados 6.5.5.438 (build 439)
Word 2002

Hello,

I'm translating a 20-pages-Word file with some bookmarks, which I previously prepared with the Bookmark Handler. But in some segments, which don't contain any bookmark or particular sign, the source text is messed up. Example:

Original text
Diese umfassen alle oder Teile der folgenden 4 Komponenten und werden monatlich oder vierteljährlich über die gesamte Vertragsdauer in Rechnung gestellt:

Opened segment
Komponenten und werden 4 Diese umfassen alle oder Teile der folgenden ber die gesamte نhrlich monatlich oder viertelj ü Vertragsdauer in Rechnung gestellt:

I even get 100 % matches from a previous translation (which was prefectly normal), which are messed up both in source and in target segment!
And I even have segment which open normally but "turn crazy" after I press "Alt +" to close and get to next segment.

Has anyone any idea of what is happening ?

Many thanks in advance,
Sylvain

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Revision marks? Jan 17, 2005

Hi Sylvain,
That's a difficult one without looking at the document.

One possibility is that the document contains revision marks - did you check before working on it?

Cheers, Ralf

German to French
TOPIC STARTER
No revision mark Jan 17, 2005

Hi Ralf,

No, I've just checked it and it contains no revision mark at all (just to be sure of what you mean: I checked with the toolbar "revision" with all revision marks activated, and it displayed nothing).

It becomes really annoying.

Sylvain, puzzled.

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
??? Jan 17, 2005

Hello,

try a look on the database version of the TM.
If it is an old version, it willmaybe help to export all segments and import them into a new translation memory.

Are the disordered words in Word or in the Trados Workbench window ?

Hans

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Display issue? Jan 18, 2005

Hi Sylvain,
I ran a test - using your file - on my system (W2k, Word XP, T6.5.417), with no problems.

Could this be your graphics adaptor playing up?

Best, Ralf

German to French
TOPIC STARTER
re Jan 18, 2005

Hans : disorders are only in the Word document, the Workbench-window displays the segments in the right order.
As for the TM, it's one I have created myself with the same Trados-version, so there is no problem wit it.

Ralf : I have no problem with graphics other than this one on this very document. This order contains about 8 files, and the others work very fine.

Thank you anyway, I will see with the client.

Regards,
Sylvain

[Edited at 2005-01-18 11:21]

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Change display settings? Jan 18, 2005

Hi again,
Ralf : I have no problem with graphics other than this one on this very document. This order contains about 8 files, and the others work very fine.

Does the problem persist if you change the view settings in Word (Normal to Layout and back)?

Cheers, Ralf

German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Jan 18, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Does the problem persist if you change the view settings in Word (Normal to Layout and back)?

Cheers, Ralf

Yes Ralf, it persists both in source and target segments. I really don't understand.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Maybe there is a kind of hiden text/commands in between? Jan 18, 2005

How about copying the whole text (without he last paragraph mark) into a new clean document, selecting the whole text (CTRL+A) and reformating it to standard (CTRL+SPACE BAR)?
Does the problem persist then?

Regards
Jerzy

German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Well... Jan 18, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

How about copying the whole text (without he last paragraph mark) into a new clean document, selecting the whole text (CTRL+A) and reformating it to standard (CTRL+SPACE BAR)?
Does the problem persist then?

Regards
Jerzy

Hi Jerzy,

First of all, it is quite difficult to select the text, since the arrow on the screen follows the order of the messed up parts of it (I don't know if it is clear)... but I did and followed your advice.
Same results : the Trados WB Window displays fine, but in Word it is a disaster.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well... Jan 18, 2005

it is clear, for some unknown reasons Word means to order the words in a strange way.
If you select such sentence and copy it into a text editor, does it remain messed up?
If no, maybe saving the document as "text only" and then regeneratig it as Word document may help.
But nevertheless, it is strange.

Regards
Jerzy

German to French
TOPIC STARTER
It works in WordPad. Jan 18, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If you select such sentence and copy it into a text editor, does it remain messed up?

No!

If no, maybe saving the document as "text only" and then regeneratig it as Word document may help.

It will be difficult since the document has a complicated formatting but I can give it a try.

Thank you very much.
Sylvain

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, then - a way round Jan 18, 2005

Either try to copy the whole text to another text editor or WordPad, maybe the formating will be kept, or:
Create a PDF from your original document, before it is messed up, then run OCR on that PDF and work with its results. Maybe not all formating will be kept, but Abbyy PDF Converter delivers very good results.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source segment messed up

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs