Laura Vinti
Laura Vinti  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:19
German to Italian
+ ...
Apr 20, 2015

Hello,

This might have been addressed in the past, but I'm not sure how to look for it.
Apologies if it has.

The fact that SDL Studio TMs use different variations of a language (i.e. EN-UK, EN-US, IT-CH, IT-it, etc.) creates HUGE problems for me.

Does any one know if there a way to translate a document, say EN-US to IT-it, using an EN-UK to IT-CH memory?

Also, is there a way to create a new TM without having to commit to a specific variat
... See more
Hello,

This might have been addressed in the past, but I'm not sure how to look for it.
Apologies if it has.

The fact that SDL Studio TMs use different variations of a language (i.e. EN-UK, EN-US, IT-CH, IT-it, etc.) creates HUGE problems for me.

Does any one know if there a way to translate a document, say EN-US to IT-it, using an EN-UK to IT-CH memory?

Also, is there a way to create a new TM without having to commit to a specific variation of a language?
I would like to be able to create a new English to Italian TM without having to set what kind of English or Italian I am going to use for my translations.

There must be a way... at least I really hope so.

Many thanks!!!

Laura
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:19
English
There are advantages to having separate TMs... Apr 20, 2015

... but you can use them for every project if you like? Or just create one and use that for any project regardless of the language.

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/02/28/its-all-english-right/

<
... See more
... but you can use them for every project if you like? Or just create one and use that for any project regardless of the language.

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/02/28/its-all-english-right/

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/02/12/supertm/

Both articles refer to the free AnyTM app on the SDL OpenExchange which will allow you to do what you need.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Create a New TM without choosing a specific variation of English or Italian

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »