That B@£^@*& "no tu seems to be open" problem!
Thread poster: Moofi
Moofi
Moofi  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:31
Polish to English
+ ...
Jan 18, 2005

*aargh* For the umpteenth time, I'm getting the problem of a tu being 'stuck' open because Trados refuses to close it and 'get' to the next piece of text. You know, when it says, "no tu seems to be open".

I've tried the following legendary fixes, which, occasionally, do work. They don't now though.

1) deleting the bookmarks.
2) "Fix Document" from the Trados menu.
3) Fiddling around with the Para marks.

This is really driving me nuts. Are there
... See more
*aargh* For the umpteenth time, I'm getting the problem of a tu being 'stuck' open because Trados refuses to close it and 'get' to the next piece of text. You know, when it says, "no tu seems to be open".

I've tried the following legendary fixes, which, occasionally, do work. They don't now though.

1) deleting the bookmarks.
2) "Fix Document" from the Trados menu.
3) Fiddling around with the Para marks.

This is really driving me nuts. Are there any other fixes for this ridiculous, insane problem?

Specs:
Win XP sp1 W
Word 2003 (11.6359.6360) sp1
Trados Freelance 6.5.5.438 (build 438)

NOT currently using Multi Term with this doc. Any help offered will be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
tw4winFrom and UpTo bookmarks get deleted? Jan 18, 2005

Moofi wrote:

It appears to me that the tw4winFrom and tw4winUpTo bookmarks that are there when a TU _is_ open somehow get deleted. But I can't imagine, how. Do you perhaps use some other add-ons in Word, in addition to the Trados template?

HTH

Piotr

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:31
English to German
+ ...
Save as RTF and translate in TagEditor Jan 18, 2005

Moofi wrote:
...Are there any other fixes for this ridiculous, insane problem?...

Did you ever have this problem in TagEditor? I didn't. (Nor did I in Déjà Vu, SDLX, ...)

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:31
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Copy and paste Jan 18, 2005

I know this is a childish solution but I have found that by carefully copying and pasting the paragraph into another word doc usually does the trick for me, as logn as I paste it as txt only. Usually that means that I transfer the rest of the document from the faulty point as well ending up with a translation split into two (hopefully) documents.
As I said, not a very technical solution at all but it works.

Burrell

Moofi
Moofi  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The story continues... Jan 18, 2005

Burrell, you're a genius! That little trick saved my skin.

However, I'd still love to know why it happens. Piotr, I'm not using any other macros add-ins or anything. But the bookmarks were probably deleted when *I* deleted them, as I've found in the past that having bookmarks in the doc is often the cause of the problem, and killing them fixes it. Is this a good thing?

Harry_B, I've never tried editing in Tag Ed, in fact I've not used it at all yet. But saving the .doc
... See more
Burrell, you're a genius! That little trick saved my skin.

However, I'd still love to know why it happens. Piotr, I'm not using any other macros add-ins or anything. But the bookmarks were probably deleted when *I* deleted them, as I've found in the past that having bookmarks in the doc is often the cause of the problem, and killing them fixes it. Is this a good thing?

Harry_B, I've never tried editing in Tag Ed, in fact I've not used it at all yet. But saving the .doc as an .rtf did help. I was getting an error trying to Clean the .doc to produce the .rtf, but once I'd converted it manually it was easier somehow.

It's a real pain in the grass, as this error is the most common one I get. In fact, if it wasn't for this problem, Trados would be alright 99% of the time.

P.S. Somehow, all my headers and footers in this document are stuck 'open', and I'll be damned if I'm going to copy/paste 50-odd of them. I'll try doing it in Tag Ed, see what happens.

There has to be a more permanent solution...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

That B@£^@*& "no tu seems to be open" problem!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »