Marie-Louise Desfray (X)
Marie-Louise Desfray (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:31
English to French
+ ...
Jun 14, 2015

Hello,

I'd like to confirm that SDL Trados Studio 2011, incl. Multiterm 2011, will run on Windows 10.

That's what I understand from SDL Community comment So all I can say is that we fully intend to support W10 for all supported versions of Studio and MultiTerm
... See more
Hello,

I'd like to confirm that SDL Trados Studio 2011, incl. Multiterm 2011, will run on Windows 10.

That's what I understand from SDL Community comment So all I can say is that we fully intend to support W10 for all supported versions of Studio and MultiTerm in thread http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/286747-studio_2015_and_windows_10.html, but the table of “Operating Systems supported per product” doesn't state Win 10 for Studio 2011 although Studio 2011 is still supported by SDL.

SDL kb references:
KB #3261 | Operating Systems supported per product http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3261
KB #3880 | Lifecycle information: Overview of currently supported and sunset SDL products
http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3880

Thank you.
/mld

[Edited at 2015-06-14 12:34 GMT]
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The table will be updated when it is time to do it Jun 18, 2015

Marie-Louise Desfray wrote:

... but the table of “Operating Systems supported per product” doesn't state Win 10 for Studio 2011 although Studio 2011 is still supported by SDL.
[Edited at 2015-06-14 12:34 GMT]

You can't expect this table to reflect an operating system that is not yet available on the market. It will surely be updated once it has been released and the compatibility has been tested.

Walter

Marie-Louise Desfray (X)
Marie-Louise Desfray (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About Win 10 availability Jun 22, 2015

Thank you for your comment.
The quoted table does state that more recent versions of Studio will run on Win 10. Also, software development companies have access to early releases of Windows. So the question is not that silly.
Anyway, I got an answer from another channel. I'm not sure it's official though, so I can't really forward it on a public forum.

/ml

Any news? Dec 9, 2015

Some time has passed since the last message here, so, i'll try to revive the thread. Has anyone had any experience with Windows 10 and Trados 2011?

Lyubov Tyurina
Lyubov Tyurina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:31
French to Russian
+ ...
not supported Jan 5, 2016

http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3261
SDL Trados Studio 2011 is not supported by Windows 10.

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:31
English to Arabic
Studio 2011 and Windows 10 support Jan 5, 2016

Hi All,

I would like to confirm that we do NOT support Studio 2011 and Windows 10 operating systems!
Support for ALL Studio 2011 version ceased last year- meaning there will be no compatibility patches or workarounds released.

As there is at least 4 years between Studio 2011 and Windows 10 we can only advise you to upgrade to Studio 2015.

Please take a look at the reasons why you SHOULD upgrade
<
... See more
Hi All,

I would like to confirm that we do NOT support Studio 2011 and Windows 10 operating systems!
Support for ALL Studio 2011 version ceased last year- meaning there will be no compatibility patches or workarounds released.

As there is at least 4 years between Studio 2011 and Windows 10 we can only advise you to upgrade to Studio 2015.

http://www.sdl.com/download/reasons-to-upgrade-from-studio-2011-to-2015/83246/

If you need further help, please let me know.

Kr

SDL_Steve
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:31
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Only 4 years? Jan 6, 2016

I would expect to get at least 10 years out of a $800 software package... Even the IRS lets you deduct software over 5 years!

I think Trados should move towards monthly-fee plans with free updates / upgrades.

SDL_Steve wrote:

Hi All,

If you need further help, please let me know.

Kr

SDL_Steve

[Edited at 2016-01-06 03:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-01-06 03:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-01-06 03:36 GMT]

SDL_Steve
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
Studio compatibility. Jan 6, 2016

Hi Jeff,

As Microsoft continue to develop their operating systems at an alarming rate (THREE in as many years)-SDL (and all other vendors) are forced to move with them and adopt the new OS platforms to remain compatible.

In years gone by- there has been little difference in the platforms used by Microsoft.
However this seems to have changed quite significantly from Windows 8.0 (from a 'geeky' sort of perspective) onwards.
Unfortunately back when we released
... See more
Hi Jeff,

As Microsoft continue to develop their operating systems at an alarming rate (THREE in as many years)-SDL (and all other vendors) are forced to move with them and adopt the new OS platforms to remain compatible.

In years gone by- there has been little difference in the platforms used by Microsoft.
However this seems to have changed quite significantly from Windows 8.0 (from a 'geeky' sort of perspective) onwards.
Unfortunately back when we released Studio 2011 there was no way we could foresee that in the meantime- Microsoft would release THREE new OS versions- Windows 8-Windows 8.1 AND Windows 10!

We are often contacted by customers using X with X in regards to compatibility and my team are quite happy to discuss the pro's and con's of upgrading any system- both from a professional and technical perspective as well as from feedback from other users.
We do of course quite clearly state on our websites system requirements which is updated regularly once we have concrete info.

Anyone running Windows 7 and Studio 2011 will be able to continue to do so for quite a number of years to come.

Kr
SDL_steve

[Edited at 2016-01-06 11:15 GMT]
Collapse

Lyubov Tyurina
Russian Federation
French to Russian
+ ...
Trados Studio 2011 upgrade Jan 6, 2016

SDL_Steve wrote:

Anyone running Windows 7 and Studio 2011 will be able to continue to do so for quite a number of years to come.

Kr
SDL_steve

[Edited at 2016-01-06 11:15 GMT]

Will it still be possible to upgrade Trados Studio 2011 from my SDL account a number of years later?

SDL_Steve
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
Trados Studio 2011 upgrade Jan 6, 2016

Hi Lyubov,

Historically upgrades have been available for between 2 to 3 previous versions in line with industry standard protocol.
Official support for 2011 versions (except for licensing and installation issues) was retired last month - however this has not affected the ability to upgrade.
When the 'end of life' for 2011 versions has been reached- this will be notified to all our users.
At the current time- upgrades are available- but this can change so I would b
... See more
Hi Lyubov,

Historically upgrades have been available for between 2 to 3 previous versions in line with industry standard protocol.
Official support for 2011 versions (except for licensing and installation issues) was retired last month - however this has not affected the ability to upgrade.
When the 'end of life' for 2011 versions has been reached- this will be notified to all our users.
At the current time- upgrades are available- but this can change so I would be very careful of even implying you can/could upgrade for 'years' to come.
When asked- I advise professional translators- to upgrade at least every 3 max 4 years just to keep ahead of technological advances and to ensure compatibility with clients.

Why not at least give the Studio 2015 free trail a go?
Nothing to lose but everything to gain when you see and feel the new features.

Kr

Steve
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Studio 2011 and Windows 10? Jan 6, 2016

True that technology has changed quickly.

But why make your clients pay the price?

I understand that it would be difficult to continue to provide support and updates to multiple legacy versions of software and there comes a point where compatibility renders the software non-functional.

BUT - Why is an upgrade to another version of the software time limited? For example, right now (or at least very soon), in order for me to upgrade to 2015, I would have to
... See more
True that technology has changed quickly.

But why make your clients pay the price?

I understand that it would be difficult to continue to provide support and updates to multiple legacy versions of software and there comes a point where compatibility renders the software non-functional.

BUT - Why is an upgrade to another version of the software time limited? For example, right now (or at least very soon), in order for me to upgrade to 2015, I would have to pay full price again. I see this as a forced upgrade. Upgrade now or pay hundreds later. What difference does it make when I have the money available to upgrade? (Or if some people prefer to wait a while until all the bugs are worked out?)

I don't see this as a very customer-friendly attitude and I suspect that people will soon get tired of being forced to pay for upgrades every two - four years and will at least explore other free, or less expensive, options.

SDL_Steve wrote:

Hi Lyubov,

At the current time- upgrades are available- but this can change so I would be very careful of even implying you can/could upgrade for 'years' to come.
When asked- I advise professional translators- to upgrade at least every 3 max 4 years just to keep ahead of technological advances and to ensure compatibility with clients.

Why not at least give the Studio 2015 free trail a go?
Nothing to lose but everything to gain when you see and feel the new features.

Kr

Steve

[Edited at 2016-01-06 13:42 GMT]
Collapse

SDL_Steve
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
Upgrades and compatibility Jan 6, 2016

I don't believe at all that SDL force anyone to upgrade at all-
we do however provide the option to do so which is of course much cheaper than purchasing a new license!

I do believe however this forum was started because of Windows 10 upgrades and the simple fact that we can no longer offer Studio 2011 support (no matter what OS version you may be running) and NOT that Windows 10 and Studio 2011 will not work-

On the contrary-
many posters here (and in oth
... See more
I don't believe at all that SDL force anyone to upgrade at all-
we do however provide the option to do so which is of course much cheaper than purchasing a new license!

I do believe however this forum was started because of Windows 10 upgrades and the simple fact that we can no longer offer Studio 2011 support (no matter what OS version you may be running) and NOT that Windows 10 and Studio 2011 will not work-

On the contrary-
many posters here (and in other forums) have already attested, they have absolutely no issues or problems at all running Windows 10 and Studio 2011.

You commented in regards to waiting for any bugs to be ironed out to which I whole heartedly have to agree with you.

Windows 10 was released very quickly to iron out the bugs and issues caused by Windows 8.1 which itself was released to iron out the bugs and issues in Windows 8.0....

Bearing in mind that Studio 2015 was released around 6 months ago and can be considered 'road-tested' and Studio 2014 SP2 has been around for quite sometime I can confidently say our software is very stable at this time.
Should any issues arise there are plenty of professionals around to help.

Of course I understand that any professional translator will always scrutinise outgoings/business investments very closely.

I visit road-shows and conferences regularly and talk to translators as I love to do- many tell me that they budget a certain sum each year for hardware and software upgrades as a standard fixed cost and want to ensure they keep up to date in things IT.

Often professional translators will invest in a PSMA contract (fixed yearly cost)which gives you peace of mind knowing you can always contact(unlimited)support for technical help AND that they receive ALL UPGRADES FREE OF CHARGE as part of the PSMA.
The upgrades are then always available to you to use if and when YOU want.

As always- I am more than happy to provide you with a FULL trial version of Studio 2015.
This way you can see for yourself the huge benefits over the 2011 version.

Kr
SDL_Steve
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My apologies... Jan 6, 2016

I did misunderstand when a previous poster stated that Studio 2011 is not supported by Windows 10. I took this to mean "would not function (properly)".

SDL_Steve wrote:

...many posters here (and in other forums) have already attested, they have absolutely no issues or problems at all running Windows 10 and Studio 2011.

Lyubov Tyurina
Russian Federation
French to Russian
+ ...
No problem with 2011 Jan 6, 2016

Yes, I found a message
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/287128-trados_2007_studio_2009_and_2011_compatible_with_windows_81_and_10.html

No problem with 2011
Adrien Esparron wrote:

and Win 10. For other family's members (2007 and 2009) I have no idea. Should work because they are running under Java (like 2011)...

Good luck!

[Edited at 2016-01-06 20:15 GMT]

Béatrice DEZERALD
Béatrice DEZERALD  Identity Verified
France
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Transition from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with Trados 2011 and 2007 May 30, 2016

Good afternoon !

Before upgrading from W7 to W10, I read a few posts, including this one.
Now that I did it, I wanted to confirm that everything went fine.
It's very simple. In fact you just have to let the installation wizard do his job !
I can work with Trados 2011 as usual after transition to Windows 10, and I even can use my old Trados 2007 (one client want me to work with it !).
Just one thing : NEVER INTERRUPT THE UPGRADING PROCESS OR SWITCH OFF the co
... See more
Good afternoon !

Before upgrading from W7 to W10, I read a few posts, including this one.
Now that I did it, I wanted to confirm that everything went fine.
It's very simple. In fact you just have to let the installation wizard do his job !
I can work with Trados 2011 as usual after transition to Windows 10, and I even can use my old Trados 2007 (one client want me to work with it !).
Just one thing : NEVER INTERRUPT THE UPGRADING PROCESS OR SWITCH OFF the computer untill you complete upgrading.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 and Windows 10?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »