How to avoid segmenting after "Yahoo!" ?
Thread poster: Dan Dascalescu
Dan Dascalescu
Dan Dascalescu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:40
Romanian to English
+ ...
Jan 25, 2005

Does anyone know if there is a way to instruct TRADOS to NOT break the segment, generally, after certain keywords?

I'm specifically trying not to segment after "Yahoo!", so you'd get "Use to Yahoo! Mail" in one segment.

I've already tried using abbreviation lists, but they work only for words followed by periods.

Any help is appreciated,
Dan

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:40
Member (2003)
German to French
Setup / Segmentation rules Jan 25, 2005

Hi Dan,

I would use one of the two following options.

The first one is to "expand segment" when it comes to this very expression (the command is in the Trados Workbench menu in the Word toolbar, or Ctrl + Alt + Page down), which is a quite handy case-by-case solution.

The second option is to open you TM in the Workbench, then in the File menu, go to Setup and select the "Segmentation rules" tab.
Here, you get a list with all segment delimiters define
... See more
Hi Dan,

I would use one of the two following options.

The first one is to "expand segment" when it comes to this very expression (the command is in the Trados Workbench menu in the Word toolbar, or Ctrl + Alt + Page down), which is a quite handy case-by-case solution.

The second option is to open you TM in the Workbench, then in the File menu, go to Setup and select the "Segmentation rules" tab.
Here, you get a list with all segment delimiters defined for this TM, like "full stop, colons, marks, etc.".
Select "Marks" and click "Delete". The marks won't be segment delimiters anymore.

HTH,
Sylvain

[Edited at 2005-01-25 13:35]
Collapse

Michael Pauls
Michael Pauls
Germany
English to German
Avoid segmenting Jan 25, 2005

If you're working on a Word file it might be easiest to just replace every "Yahoo!" by i.e. "Yahoo#" .... then translate the text ... and then replace again.

Michael

Dan Dascalescu
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Delete just the '!' in Marks Jan 25, 2005

Sylvain Leray wrote:
Here, you get a list with all segment delimiters defined for this TM, like "full stop, colons, marks, etc.".
Select "Marks" and click "Delete". The marks won't be segment delimiters anymore.

HTH,
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

Thanks for your answer! Unfortunately, deleting the marks will also mean that TRADOS will never segment on '?' and '!', and, what's worse, you won't be able to shrink the segment. By the way, it's not necessary to delete the "Marks", you can delete just the '!' and leave the '?'.

It seems like the solution of replacing Yahoo! with Yahoo# is a better option, given this limitation of TRADOS...

Thanks everyone!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, expanding segment should be the easiest option Jan 25, 2005

Dan Dascalescu wrote:

Sylvain Leray wrote:

HTH,
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

Thanks for your answer! Unfortunately, deleting the marks will also mean that TRADOS will never segment on '?' and '!', and, what's worse, you won't be able to shrink the segment. By the way, it's not necessary to delete the "Marks", you can delete just the '!' and leave the '?'.

It seems like the solution of replacing Yahoo! with Yahoo# is a better option, given this limitation of TRADOS...

Thanks everyone!

I do not ncessarily see a limitation here.
You are still able to expand the segment and enclose "Yahoo!" in it. You can shrink or expand segments as long no paragraph mark is reached. So this is what I would do. No replacing and no changing the segmentation rules.
BTW 1, any CAT will stop at this point I think, or do other habe more sophisticated abbreviation rules?
BTW 2 have you tried with Ordinal followers?

Regards
Jerzy

Dan Dascalescu
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mark Yahoo! as tw4winInternal Jan 26, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Dan Dascalescu wrote:

I do not ncessarily see a limitation here.

Well, one obvious limitation is that the abbreviation list supports only words ending with periods.

Then, for anyone who used Perl regular expressions, the TRADOS way of providing a few checkboxes in an attempt to do natural language processing is more than limited.

You are still able to expand the segment and enclose "Yahoo!" in it.

That's a solution for now. Another solution which came to mind is to set the style of all occurences of "Yahoo!" to tw4winInternal. What do you think?

Regards,
Dan

[Edited at 2005-01-26 02:41]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to avoid segmenting after "Yahoo!" ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »