Mobile menu

Importing an excel glossary into Trados Multiterm. Possible?
Thread poster: Andrea Cingolani

Andrea Cingolani
Italy
Local time: 08:46
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Jan 26, 2005

I have a huge Excel glossary (2 columns English - Italian) and I'd like to import it into Trados Multiterm in order to manage it more effectively. I have tried many times following the tutorial instructions without success. Any ideas?

My Trados Multiterm version is 6.2.0.287

[Edited at 2005-01-28 15:43]

Direct link Reply with quote

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:46
Danish to English
+ ...
mutiterm Jan 26, 2005

Use the Multiterm converter.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Details, please Jan 26, 2005

Hi Andrea,
Can you please indicate which MultiTerm version you're using (full version number, please, including the build number - go to Help - About... to check)?

Best regards,
Ralf

Wordlab TLS  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Txt template Jan 26, 2005

Ciao Andrea,

I have tried to explain here (unsuccessful) the kind of template I use in TXT. Multiterm uses delimiters which are exactly like the HTML tags delimiters and thus I cannot reproduce it here. If you are interested in my idea (you make some minor changes in Excel, copy and paste the glossary to Word and replace some things, then import the TXT file into Multiterm), please feel free to contact me and I will explain it to you.

Kind regards,
Diana

[Edited at 2005-01-26 17:59]

CELC Inc
Local time: 15:46
Japanese to English
+ ...
If anyone has a foolproof method, please contact me! Jan 27, 2005

I have asked the same question (with all my version #s, etc.), read all the tutorials, and tried every conceivable method for Excel > MT. Not once have I been successful, despite being computer-literate enough to do software localization .

(Insert rant here:
If I might venture an opinion -- Trados is the Microsoft of the translation world: non-standard or non-open data formats, the arrogant assumption of the monopolizer that everyone will just comply and learn, and (often) useless documentation.
)

Anyway, if anyone has a foolproof method (other than, "try the Converter," since that has never worked for me), please contact me by email.

Thanks!

xxxTadzio
English to Spanish
My foolproof method... Never fails! Jan 27, 2005

[quote]CELC Inc wrote:

I have asked the same question (with all my version #s, etc.), read all the tutorials, and tried every conceivable method for Excel > MT. Not once have I been successful, despite being computer-literate enough to do software localization .

1. Open the file you want to convert into MultiTerm format in Excel.
2. Highlight the first column, from the Insert menu select Insert Column.
3. Type two asterisks (**) into the first cell.
4. Copy this cell to the whole column by dragging the cell with the two asterisks (**) down the column up to the last word/term.
5. For each field, highlight the column and select Insert Column from the Insert menu. A new column will be inserted directly in front of the highlighted one.
6. Insert the appropriate field name ( for example) into the top cell of each new column. The field name should always be surrounded by angled brackets and written exactly as it appears in your MultiTerm database.
7. For each field name, copy the cell to the whole column as in #4.
8. Save the file as tab delimited text (.txt). There will be a message alerting you that only the active sheet will be saved, click OK, and another message that formatting may change, click Yes.
9. Close the file in Excel. You may be prompted to save the changes again, click No.
10. Finally, format the Text file for MultiTerm Import by deleting all blank spaces: copy the blank space between ** and the first < and replace all with nothing. And, voilá!! (Open your MultiTerm and import the .txt file.)

Despite computer-literates, this method works!
Tadzio.

Juan R. Migoya  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
A simple script Jan 27, 2005

As the text format needed by Multiterm is quite simple, what I do is to export the Excel file as ".csv" and then run a very simple Perl script to build the ".txt" file to be imported by Multiterm. I only use two fields: source term and target term. Also, as I only work for the English=>Spanish pair, this is hardcoded in the script, but I don't see any problem in making it more universal, i.e. accepting two more parameters in the command line as source and target language. If somebody thinks it can be of some interest, please let me know. I have found not problem till now (I use Trados 5.5 but I think the txt format for Multiterm remains the same).

This is a small fragment of the script output:

cyclical
cíclico
4-pole asynchronous motor
Motor asíncrono de 4 polos
AC
CA
Acceleration torque
Par de aceleración

Regards,

---- Note:
When posting, the source and target language have disappeared. I swear they were there!

[Edited at 2005-01-27 08:22]

Hermione
Italian to German
+ ...
It all depends on your Multiterm version! Jan 28, 2005

Ciao Andrea,

If you have MultiTerm IX, you should use MultiTerm Convert, and it should be pretty straightforward.

If you have MultiTerm 5.5 oder 95, it is possible, too.
There is a Converter Macro by Sergei Mouraviev in the file section of the TW_users Yahoo Group. (All you have to do is unzip the file, open the file MultiTerm.xls, activate macros, open your file and chose Tools - Export to MultiTerm). If you are not a member of TW_Users, I can send you the file.

You can also use the method described earlier in this thread.

Another good way of doing this is using Mail Merge. If you are at all familiar with it, it is really simple.
Create a "catalogue" (or directory or whatever it is called, not a label or envelope anyway) and specifiy the Excel table as your data source.
Then type
"
[insert mail merge field for English column]
[insert mail merge field for Italian column]

"
Now click "print to file" and pronto, you get a file which you can save as txt and import into MultiTerm.
HTH
Hermione

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Jan 28, 2005

...to Trados Support.

Andrea Cingolani
Italy
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I used and I followed the tutorial but it does not work Jan 28, 2005

BLANGSTED wrote:

Use the Multiterm converter.

Andrea Cingolani
Italy
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf Jan 28, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Andrea,
Can you please indicate which MultiTerm version you're using (full version number, please, including the build number - go to Help - About... to check)?

Best regards,
Ralf

Dear Ralf
thanks very much for your interest.
My Trados Multiterm version is 6.2.0.287

xxxdgmaga
English to Spanish
Yes, it's possible Feb 4, 2005

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I have successfully converted an English-Maltese glossary into MultiTerm iX. So, the answer is "Yes, it is possible". I have MultiTerm 6.2.

You only have to make sure that the field names in your Excel file match those in the MultiTerm definition.

It's also important that the entry structure that you define in the conversion matches the entry structure of your termbase.

Things that do not work:

Links: if you had added in Excel the caps (^) to mark some terms as link (as you would if you had planned to import the excel file into MultiTerm 5.5, they will not be converted to cross-references in MultiTerm iX.

History field: in Excel file I had some history fields (Created by and Edited by) which were not automatically converted to the right format in Multiterm iX.

So, these are the only glitches and I could fix them with a search and replace in the XML file created by the converter.

A nice surprise for me was that with the Excel conversion, it is possible to have nested text fields, something which is not possible if you convert a Multiterm 5.5 file to MultiTerm iX.

Now, I would be happy if MultiTerm iX was really "fully unicode-compliant" and allowed typing Maltese text in edit mode interactively.

Daniel

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Another point to add Feb 4, 2005

Thanks, Daniel - all I'd like to add is that in MTiX, database objects (such as entry models, filter names, etc.) should not contain special characters (/, ?, &, etc.), as this might lead to problems.

Cheers, Ralf

Maritza van den Heuvel
Afrikaans to English
+ ...
Additional questions about matching termbase definition Mar 13, 2005

[quote]dgmaga wrote:

I just wanted to say that I have successfully converted an English-Maltese glossary into MultiTerm iX. So, the answer is "Yes, it is possible". I have MultiTerm 6.2.

You only have to make sure that the field names in your Excel file match those in the MultiTerm definition.

It's also important that the entry structure that you define in the conversion matches the entry structure of your termbase.

Maritza: I came across this thread while battling my own problems with an Excel to Multiterm 6.5 import. What I have is a 3-column Excel file, which matches the three index fields in the target termbase into which I'd like to import the file.

I figured that as long as the three index fields are identical, everything should import perfectly, but it doesn't, except for a short list of about 100 (out of 3100) terms that only appear in the one column, and have no equivalents yet in the other columns.

But going by the post above, the entry structure I define in the Coverter has to be 100% the same, i.e. including all other fields as well, as the one in the target termbase?

Clarification would be much appreciated!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing an excel glossary into Trados Multiterm. Possible?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs