Mobile menu

Internal/external in the "Trados language"
Thread poster: Sylvain Leray

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:15
German to French
Jan 28, 2005

This a a quite general question, not related to a particular job, and for which I didn't find any answer.

What is the difference between internal and external bookmarks (for example when using the Bookmark Handler) or tags?
Is this related to the styles tw4winInternal and tw4winExternal? If not, what does the latest mean?
These two concepts (internal and external) often come up in the "Trados language" and I don't always know what they mean.

Any explanation appreciated!

Best regards,

[Edited at 2005-01-28 10:51]

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:15
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
From Trados help Jan 28, 2005

External tags

External tags usually represent structural formatting for example, paragraph styles, anchored frames and tables. External tags are used to build the basic skeleton of the file and are never moved and rarely added or deleted in translated files.
External tags are coloured grey and usually appear at the beginning of a line.

Internal tags

Internal tags represent text formatting, such as font changes, special characters and some punctuation marks. Most internal tags can be moved around to change the formatting of a sentence or they can be added or deleted to fit the translation.
Internal tags are coloured red and have a red border when displayed in TagEditor. They usually appear within the text of paragraphs.

Taken From: Translator's Workbench Help, (c) 2004 TRADOS Incorporated.

I would add that external tags are not part of the translation segment, while internal tags are.

And yes, the tw4winInternal and tw4winExternal styles are used to define internal and external tags.

As for the internal/external bookmarks, I don't know.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internal/external in the "Trados language"

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs