Thread poster: Joaquim Siles-Borràs
Joaquim Siles-Borràs
Joaquim Siles-Borràs  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 31, 2005

I am quite new to Trados. I use 6.5.5. I have recived a little job, but it´s in RTF. So when I open it in Word, the first part of the text already contains symbols < >, and the text is in two different colours. The second poart of the text is the usual. I open Workbench, set it up, but it then does not start the translation.

I guess I need to do something with RTF-Word combination, but haven´t a clue what!

Can anybody help with this. Do I need to translate the RTFs
... See more
I am quite new to Trados. I use 6.5.5. I have recived a little job, but it´s in RTF. So when I open it in Word, the first part of the text already contains symbols < >, and the text is in two different colours. The second poart of the text is the usual. I open Workbench, set it up, but it then does not start the translation.

I guess I need to do something with RTF-Word combination, but haven´t a clue what!

Can anybody help with this. Do I need to translate the RTFs into Word, or....? And if I do, do you know how?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Quim
Collapse

Bernadette Mora
Bernadette Mora  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
A piece of advice Jan 31, 2005

Hello

I normally work on .rtf files and that's what I do,

- open the .rtf file
- go to Workbench and create a new TM or open the TM provided by your client(if so)
- start translating.

Those symbols are tags and you must not modify them.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Bernadette

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What kind of RTF? Jan 31, 2005

Hi Joaquim,
What kind of RTF file is this? Some special RTF formats (exports from certain DTP files) are translated in TagEditor. Can you provide more details on this?

Best regards,
Ralf

Joaquim Siles-Borràs
Joaquim Siles-Borràs  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 1, 2005

Thanks Bernadette and Ralf. Unfortunately, my pc seems to have some kind of problem so I cannot check what kind of RTF files I have received. I guess they must be usual ones. Once I am able to check in the next few days, I´ll know for sure. However, if Bernadette's help does not work, then I´ll do it through Tag Editor.
I´ll let you know how I get on.
Thanks to both of you for responding.
Regards
Joaquim

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RTF files in TRADOS

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »