Mobile menu

use of "analyse" function - result seems wrong
Thread poster: Rachel Vanarsdall

Rachel Vanarsdall  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:07
Member (2004)
French to English
Jan 31, 2005

I have Trados 5.5 freelance and until recently had not used it much. Earlier this month a regular client asked me to use Trados to translate a Word document. They explained that there would probably be new versions of this document and that invoices for future projects would be paid according to a scale (no match = 100% of my rate, 100% match = 30%, etc.).
So I did the first translation (I had to use Word 2000 since 2003 is apparently incompatible with Trados 5.5).
A couple weeks later my client asked me to translate a revised version of the original document. Instead of using "track changes" (which I believe is not compatible with trados?), new text was underlined and deleted text was done in "strikethrough."
My client ran an analysis of the document before sending it to me which showed that the material was about 79% new. When I did my translation, however, that number seemed way off - more like 25% new, 75% repeats. The few segments that were new came up as "no match" but I would say that the majority of the segments showed an 80% match or higher.
I ran my own analysis after translation, but perhaps I should have run the analysis at an earlier stage (before the translation memory was updated??), because my analysis now shows 100% match.
The client ran an analysis again and came up with the same figure, 79% no match - which makes for a bigger invoice for me but still doesn't sound right. Could it be because my client is using the latest version of Trados? Or perhaps all the formatting changes (underline, strikethrough) have affected the count?

The translation memory I used with the second project was the same one that I used for the first (I suppose I should have copied it under a different name) but I still have the uncleaned file for the first project. Is there a way to use this to create a translation memory - which I could then use to try one more time to analyze the new file? It might also be useful for future revisions.
Thanks for any suggestions - I'm new with Trados so I hope this is clear.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:07
English to German
+ ...
Try to get a clean file Jan 31, 2005

Hi Rachel,
So I did the first translation (I had to use Word 2000 since 2003 is apparently incompatible with Trados 5.5).

True (you need T6.5.x to support Office System 2003), but probably not relevant here.

A couple weeks later my client asked me to translate a revised version of the original document. Instead of using "track changes" (which I believe is not compatible with trados?), new text was underlined and deleted text was done in "strikethrough."

I wonder why they should do that? The very purpose of using a CAT tool is to be able to analyse exactly where something has been changed.

My client ran an analysis of the document before sending it to me which showed that the material was about 79% new. When I did my translation, however, that number seemed way off - more like 25% new, 75% repeats.

Which could well be due to a misinterpretation of segments that were 'shown as deleted' (as opposed to really deleted). Text shown using 'strikethrough' is still there and comes up as a match, albeit with a penalty for the formatting difference (depending on your settings).

I ran my own analysis after translation, but perhaps I should have run the analysis at an earlier stage (before the translation memory was updated??), because my analysis now shows 100% match.

You must analyse before translating: afterwards - as you found out - the entire text will be 'known'.

Or perhaps all the formatting changes (underline, strikethrough) have affected the count?

Not the changes per se, but the formatting (as opposed to deletion) is bound to have an effect.

Is there a way to use this to create a translation memory - which I could then use to try one more time to analyze the new file?

Yes - simply use a copy of the pre-cleanup file, and clean it up, making sure that the Update TM option is activated.

In the case at hand, try to get a clean file of the updated version, which you can then analyse. You can also directly compare the two versions (provided they do not contain revision marks) - I explained how to do this in an earlier post.

HTH, Ralf


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Rachel Vanarsdall  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:07
Member (2004)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Ralf Feb 2, 2005

Ralf, thank you for your very helpful response.
My client told me to go ahead and bill them based on their original analysis, but I will use your instructions to recreate the old translation memory.

Thanks again

Rachel


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

use of "analyse" function - result seems wrong

Advanced search


Translation news related to SDL Trados





SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs