moving Trados license to a new computer
Thread poster: Eric Zink
Eric Zink
Eric Zink  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:42
Member (2012)
German to English
Sep 1, 2015

So I am away from home for a week and a half, and before I left, I returned my license on the computer I left at home and activated it on the computer I brought with me. A couple of days later, I open Trados only to receive the notification that I have no license. I check my licenses in my SDL account, and it is being used. Since it's not on this computer, it must have reverted to the one I have home.

It would be very nice to have Trados available here. What can I do to get my licen
... See more
So I am away from home for a week and a half, and before I left, I returned my license on the computer I left at home and activated it on the computer I brought with me. A couple of days later, I open Trados only to receive the notification that I have no license. I check my licenses in my SDL account, and it is being used. Since it's not on this computer, it must have reverted to the one I have home.

It would be very nice to have Trados available here. What can I do to get my licenses back to the way I set them up?
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I doubt it reverted... Sep 1, 2015

... but you didn't mention what version. I suppose you mean Trados 2007 seeing as you called it Trados? In this case you probably already exceeded the allowable license count so even though you returned it on the other PC it's still showing as in use.

You can solve this yourself though. You can reset your own license by using the Self Service option in your MySDL account for SDL Trados 2007 and SDL Trados Studio 2009.

... See more
... but you didn't mention what version. I suppose you mean Trados 2007 seeing as you called it Trados? In this case you probably already exceeded the allowable license count so even though you returned it on the other PC it's still showing as in use.

You can solve this yourself though. You can reset your own license by using the Self Service option in your MySDL account for SDL Trados 2007 and SDL Trados Studio 2009.

Go to KB article #4295 ( http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4295 ) and follow the instructions.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Eric Zink
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
2011 Sep 1, 2015

It's Studio 2011.

If it didn't revert, what happened? I know I returned my license, and I know I applied my license on my new computer. And I know that Trados is telling me that I have no license on this computer now, and I know that SDL says my license is being used.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
In this case... Sep 1, 2015

... you can reset your own license by using the Self Service option in your MySDL account for SDL Trados 2011 and SDL Trados Studio 2014.

Go to KB article #5196 ( http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=5196 ) and follow the instructions.

Regards

Paul
... See more
... you can reset your own license by using the Self Service option in your MySDL account for SDL Trados 2011 and SDL Trados Studio 2014.

Go to KB article #5196 ( http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=5196 ) and follow the instructions.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Eric Zink
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
No force return Sep 3, 2015

OK, so I do not see the "force return" link, which apparently means I have additional licenses. So why does it not let me use my license code on this computer?

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:42
English to Arabic
moving License...... Sep 3, 2015

Hi Eric,

I have now checked your account and confirm you have ONE activation in use (activated on the 28th August 2015 and one activation still free.

Could you try to activate the software once again by copying and pasting the activation code when requested.
If you get an error message again- send me a FULL screen shot (not just the error message) direct please.

Kr

Steve

Eric Zink
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
extra activations Sep 3, 2015

I see now that I do have one "extra activation" available. I have no idea how to use it, and clicking on "help" is no use (under "how to use extra activations" there is only additional information about how extra activations are helpful, but not how to use them).

Eric Zink
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
error message Sep 3, 2015

Here is the error message:

Activation failed.

We cannot complete this activation because the license is still registered by SDL for another computer. Check that deactivation was completed on the other computer. (The deactivation must be sent to SDL.)

(Support reference: LicenseNumberAlreadyUsed -23)

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:42
English to Arabic
moving License...... Sep 3, 2015

Thanks for that

This error (and the reasons for it) are well documented under the following KB database article-
http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4027

If you are still not able to resolve the problem- please log in to your SDL account/Support and log a free licensing ticket.
Instructions on how to log a ticket are also explained in the ab
... See more
Thanks for that

This error (and the reasons for it) are well documented under the following KB database article-
http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4027

If you are still not able to resolve the problem- please log in to your SDL account/Support and log a free licensing ticket.
Instructions on how to log a ticket are also explained in the above article.

Please let me know how you get on.

Kr

Steve
Collapse

Eric Zink
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
does not apply Sep 3, 2015

None of this applies, since, as I said, the last place my software was activated was THIS VERY COMPUTER. Now it is not activated here.

And even if my main activation is in use somewhere (I have no idea where), why can't I use my remaining "extra activation"?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

moving Trados license to a new computer

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »