https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/29190-hidden_text_wont_stay_hidden.html

hidden text won't stay hidden
Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 7, 2005

Trados 6.5
Windows XP
Word 2000

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, and right now it's refusing to work, and I deperately need to do my review without hidden text interfering.

I go to Options and click on hidden text and it disapperas, but then when I open or close a segment it all comes back again and causes me to lose my place in the text.

How can I make it stick? (It does sometimes, after I have clicked often enough, but I'm fed up o
... See more
Trados 6.5
Windows XP
Word 2000

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, and right now it's refusing to work, and I deperately need to do my review without hidden text interfering.

I go to Options and click on hidden text and it disapperas, but then when I open or close a segment it all comes back again and causes me to lose my place in the text.

How can I make it stick? (It does sometimes, after I have clicked often enough, but I'm fed up of it by now and under pressure, so my patience can be considered as exhausted:-)

TIA:-)
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is per design so Feb 7, 2005

I think, and this is OK so. For working with Trados you need to see hidden text, as otherwise you could damage delimiters and so on.

To get your problem solved you could switch to preprint view. This is the view you see after clicking on that majoring glass in Word (I think it is called "Page view").
There the hidden text is per default not shown - regardless the setting in Tools - Options.

Regards
Jerzy

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
The reason why you have to change it like every time Feb 7, 2005

It's a per-document setting. It does stick, but only with the document you had open while you toggled it. Also, some tools (like Trados) can and will toggle this setting on their own. See Jerzy's explanation why that is a good thing.

Benjamin

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Switch to Normal view Feb 7, 2005

This is not by design. The setting will remain only in Normal view. In Print Layout view, the setting might change back to the previous setting after opening a new segment, just as you are experiencing.

To keep the setting in Print Layout view, turn it off (or on, as you need). No segment should be open at that time. Then save the document and restart Word (exit and start it again). After that, the setting should not change itself anymore.

By the way, you can use a hotk
... See more
This is not by design. The setting will remain only in Normal view. In Print Layout view, the setting might change back to the previous setting after opening a new segment, just as you are experiencing.

To keep the setting in Print Layout view, turn it off (or on, as you need). No segment should be open at that time. Then save the document and restart Word (exit and start it again). After that, the setting should not change itself anymore.

By the way, you can use a hotkey or a macro to change the setting and you won't have to go to the Tools - Options - etc. More info: http://www.proz.com/topic/15361 There is also a special toolbar available for download at tw_users.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Thanks Hynek, I had the same problem! Feb 8, 2005

While I agree with Jerzy that the delimiters etc. should be visible when using Trados, I simply cannot work with all the spaces between words and the line shifts marked.

I turn them on for a quick check when I am proofing, to make sure they are correct, but it was driving me mad 'turning them off' for every TU!

Luckily it was only a small document, but I tried changing to Normal View, and now I know how to solve the problem next time.

Have a really nice day
... See more
While I agree with Jerzy that the delimiters etc. should be visible when using Trados, I simply cannot work with all the spaces between words and the line shifts marked.

I turn them on for a quick check when I am proofing, to make sure they are correct, but it was driving me mad 'turning them off' for every TU!

Luckily it was only a small document, but I tried changing to Normal View, and now I know how to solve the problem next time.

Have a really nice day - you saved mine!
Christine
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Visible source Feb 8, 2005

You are welcome, Christine.

While I agree with Jerzy that the delimiters etc. should be visible when using Trados...

I think it's a matter of personal preference. For example, I find the visible source too distracting and I turn it on only for searching. I never change the translation directly, so there's no risk of damaging the tags.

I simply cannot work with all the spaces between words and the line shifts marked.

By the way, hidden text and the non-printable characters are two different things. You can display only the hidden text and keep the rest invisible.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 9, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions.

What I was referring to was having hiddn text hidden while working on open individual segments (in otehr words, the only source is the source for the segment I am reviewing).

duanlei
duanlei
Local time: 05:44
English to Chinese
+ ...
Close "Word" Feb 12, 2005

You may need to close "word" and started it again to slove this problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

hidden text won't stay hidden

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »