Mobile menu

Concordance for both refTM and current TM not possible?
Thread poster: Ivan Eikås Skjøstad

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 21:49
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Feb 8, 2005

I am working in Trados FL 6.5.5.5.438, and have enabled all switches in the Concordance function, execpt the one about moving the cursor into the Concordance dialog box.

My question is:

When Auto Concordance searches for matches (when no match is found in the TM), and I have enabled the settings above, I only get concordance from my REF-TM. It says "search FIRST in REF-TM, so I assume I also should get results from my current TM.

If I remove the switch about searching first in the RefTM, I only get hits from my current TM...

I would like to get hits from both.

Is this a bug, or should it be this illogical. To bad, because the time I save using the AutoConcordance I use to switch between the settings mentioned above...

Please let me know if I should report this one to Trados, or if you have any knowledge about this "problem".

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
It's a feature Feb 8, 2005

You can't search both TMs at the same time. All you can do is remember: Alt-O, Alt-F, Enter. But maybe Trados is going to do something about it.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Known design issue Feb 8, 2005

Hi Ivan,
This is what you would call a 'known issue' - see this article from the Trados Knowledge Base.

HTH, Ralf

Germany
English to German
+ ...
As I said... known issue... Feb 8, 2005

Hi Hynek,
But maybe Trados is going to do something about it.

They're certainly aware of the problem.

Cheers, Ralf

Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workaround Feb 8, 2005

I just realised that I have a work around that will work for the part of the current TM that is translated:

Export the current TM, and import it into the Backgroung TM...

This will ensure that I will get Auto Concordance hits from the work I have done so far, and choosing to display the latest TM hits will help as well.

...and as far as I remembered: My Trados FL 6.0 did not have this probelem, or am I wrong?

I hope that Trados will programme a fix for this soon.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
A permanent issue, I'm afraid... Feb 8, 2005

Hi again, Ivan,
...and as far as I remembered: My Trados FL 6.0 did not have this probelem, or am I wrong?

You may not have spotted it, but the behaviour has been the same in T5.x, 6.0 and 6.5.

Cheers, Ralf

Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good news, multiterm and Excel Feb 8, 2005

I just want to mention a couple of other "things", and hope this is not considered a derailment from the original issue:

I have used Trados 6.5 a lot lately due to a special project, and the good news (except for the AutoConcordance, which is almost perfect), is the great improvement of the Convert functions in Multiterm.

For the first time I managed to import a large glossary (in xls-format or tab delimited format) without having to prepare the file at all.

If someone else is reading this, the clue for me was to use the convert programme, and then open a new glossary in Multiterm and choose to open using the predefined settings found in the XTD-file produced auomatically during the conversion.

I have read a lot of conversion in this fora, but the xtd-file is not mentioned a lot.

And when I am on to Trados FL: Have anyone a workaround for large XLS-files? I can only open smaller files in TagEditor. I work with 512 MB RAM, but this might be too little since I also use NIS, and other programmes in the background?

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Really a RAM issue? Feb 8, 2005

Hi again,
And when I am on to Trados FL: Have anyone a workaround for large XLS-files? I can only open smaller files in TagEditor. I work with 512 MB RAM, but this might be too little since I also use NIS, and other programmes in the background?

512MB should be sufficient - what error message (if any) do you get when trying to open larger files? You may want to note that the first-time opening process can take several minutes for larger PPT or XLS files, as TagEditor needs to convert all information into tags. Once you've saved the file as .ttx, that's no longer a problem.

Best regards,
Ralf

Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Error messages Feb 8, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:
512MB should be sufficient - what error message (if any) do you get when trying to open larger files?

I do not get any error messages, but after a while TE freezes my system, and I have to run a "log off" of my system, or a restart.

I will try to wait longer the next time, but it seems like a 1,2 MB xls-file with a couple of sheets is too much to be handled. It looks like I run out of RAM.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Took about 10-15 minutes Feb 8, 2005

Ivan kindly forwarded that file to my privately...

I will try to wait longer the next time, but it seems like a 1,2 MB xls-file with a couple of sheets is too much to be handled. It looks like I run out of RAM.

I still think 512 should be enough - although it took between 10-15 minutes to convert it (Pentium 3m 1.13 GHz/1GB RAM), memory usage was running around 80+MB.

Still, the resulting TTX file is pretty massive (22MB), so splitting the file might be a good idea in the end.

Best regards,
Ralf

Michael Moskowitz  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:49
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
Question on .XLS>Multiterm conversion Mar 18, 2005

I a newby user of Trados 6.5 FL. Trying to convert a relatively small .xls glossary. The conversion went fine. I can see all entries in the .xml file. But so far I was unable to bring it over to Multiterm. How do I look at the settings in the .xdt file?

I am sure all the settings are useful for someone, but there's just way too many combinations and the explanation in the manual is just so-so.
Thanks for your help.
Michael Moskowitz

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

I just want to mention a couple of other "things", and hope this is not considered a derailment from the original issue:

I have used Trados 6.5 a lot lately due to a special project, and the good news (except for the AutoConcordance, which is almost perfect), is the great improvement of the Convert functions in Multiterm.

For the first time I managed to import a large glossary (in xls-format or tab delimited format) without having to prepare the file at all.

If someone else is reading this, the clue for me was to use the convert programme, and then open a new glossary in Multiterm and choose to open using the predefined settings found in the XTD-file produced auomatically during the conversion.

I have read a lot of conversion in this fora, but the xtd-file is not mentioned a lot.

Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Like this Mar 18, 2005

As mentioned: Open a new glossary in Multiterm and choose to open using the predefined settings found in the XTD-file produced auomatically during the conversion.

This should do the trick. After opening the new glossary you should choose to import the xml-file. No special settings should be used, but you could tick the "fully compliant" setting.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Concordance for both refTM and current TM not possible?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs