Thread poster: Luca Vaccari
Luca Vaccari
Luca Vaccari  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:24
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
Nov 6, 2015

It has now happened 5 or 6 times in a row.
I shut Studio normally before going home, but when I start it again the morning after, no project is shown in the list, and no TM either.

I've already tried to cancel a couple of cache file according to a previous post, but it has not solved my problem.

It's not a big trouble, because I can still find and open projects again, but it's annoying.

Thank you for any hint.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:24
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Filters? Nov 6, 2015

This may seem too obvious, but are the right filters selected under Status, Due date and Type under the Projects header on the left of the screen? In the past I have inadvertently set the Status filter to Completed, and it looks like all my projects disappear, as I tend to have only active (in progress) projects in my list and they won't show unless I have the Status filter set to In Progress or Show All Projects.

Luca Vaccari
Italy
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Show all projects! Nov 6, 2015

Thanks for explanation, but the problem is not there. I never use that feature, actually. I simply remove projects from the list as soon as they are delivered.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Check your "projects.xml" file Nov 11, 2015

The list of projects is stored in the file PROJECTS.XML in the folder "c:\\Documents\Studio 2015\Projects\", so if you can't find your projects anymore in the morning after you relaunched Studio, something must have happened to this file.

I suggest that you check once before restarting Studio the next day, whether this file is still there and whether its time stamp is still from the evening before. You may have some housekeeping software that runs every night and does a somewhat "to
... See more
The list of projects is stored in the file PROJECTS.XML in the folder "c:\\Documents\Studio 2015\Projects\", so if you can't find your projects anymore in the morning after you relaunched Studio, something must have happened to this file.

I suggest that you check once before restarting Studio the next day, whether this file is still there and whether its time stamp is still from the evening before. You may have some housekeeping software that runs every night and does a somewhat "too good" cleaning job.

You may also make a copy of this file in the evening, so that you can recover it next day. However, if it disappears, you should obviously find out why it does, i.e. which automatic process is deleting it.

Walter

[Bearbeitet am 2015-11-11 20:25 GMT]
Collapse

Luca Vaccari
Italy
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Once again Nov 18, 2015

@Walter

It has now happened again, both yesterday morning and this morning. I checked the XML-file before going home and it had not changed during the day, so the problem can be there, but the solution is not the one you propose.
By the way, that file is dated september 2015, probably the date I installed studio 2014/switched to new computer, but I've opened/closed a lot of projects and the problem has not been occuring every day, just every now and then.

Thanks f
... See more
@Walter

It has now happened again, both yesterday morning and this morning. I checked the XML-file before going home and it had not changed during the day, so the problem can be there, but the solution is not the one you propose.
By the way, that file is dated september 2015, probably the date I installed studio 2014/switched to new computer, but I've opened/closed a lot of projects and the problem has not been occuring every day, just every now and then.

Thanks for all help.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Find the right projects folder Nov 18, 2015

viking modena wrote:

If this file has a timestamp from September 2015 and you have created projects after this date, then this is not the right file because the "projects.xml" file is updated with every project that you create.

Did you check in the right folder (your current Studio version and not the previous one in case you upgraded)?

I suggest you do a search for "projects.xml" to find the right one.

Walter

philwhite
philwhite
German to English
Same problem here Aug 2, 2016

I know this is an older thread, but I found at least one explanation today and thought my experience may help others.

I just encountered the same thing, but the cause was clear.

I store all my live projects on ultra-fast network-attached storage, which runs 24/7.

Today I ran the entire network down and switched off the NAS to do some maintenance. When I switched everything back on, I forgot to restart the NAS. I started up Studio and the project list was em
... See more
I know this is an older thread, but I found at least one explanation today and thought my experience may help others.

I just encountered the same thing, but the cause was clear.

I store all my live projects on ultra-fast network-attached storage, which runs 24/7.

Today I ran the entire network down and switched off the NAS to do some maintenance. When I switched everything back on, I forgot to restart the NAS. I started up Studio and the project list was empty.

In fact, what Studio does is as follows: Whenever you open the project view, it reads all the project information for all the projects, which means that the machine can appear to hang if you have an extensive list of big projects. If it cannot find a project, it removes it from the list.

Since all my projects were on the NAS, it could not find any of them and the list was emptied. I think the XML file is rewritten at this point, so it is not possible to recover it.

In other words, if you start Studio before the hard disk or other storage device on which your projects are stored is available, you will lose the project list. To avoid the problem, make sure the storage device is available and ready before you start Studio.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
It is important to store the "projects.xml" on a local drive Aug 5, 2016

philwhite wrote:

In fact, what Studio does is as follows: Whenever you open the project view, it reads all the project information for all the projects, which means that the machine can appear to hang if you have an extensive list of big projects. If it cannot find a project, it removes it from the list.

This is correct and this is why this file should always be accessible when you launch Studio, meaning that it should preferably be on a local drive (or an always accessible network drive).

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project list empy

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »