Mobile menu

not workting interface between MT Workstation and TW
Thread poster: mar cel
mar cel
English to Slovak
Feb 16, 2005

I am completely new to Trados (I may have forgotten something obvious.)

I cannot start the interface between Multiterm Workstation and Trados Workbench.
Specifically in

(Workbench-Options-Term Recognition Options-field "Multiterm version")

I choosed MultiTerm iX, but in the window

(Termbase Location-Browse-Select Termbase)

I can't do anything - can't choose Local nor Remote and the Field Termbases is empty.

Both Workbench and Multiterm separately are ok when accessing from Word.
Windows 2000, Word 2000, Workbench 6.5, Multiterm 6.0. In Windows I work without administrator rights but Administrator has the same problem.

Don't know what to do, thanks for any idea.
marcel

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:37
English to German
+ ...
Exact versions? Feb 17, 2005

Hi Marcel,
Can you please indicate the exact versions of Workbench and MTiX you're using? (Go to Help - About... to check - it's the full version number, including the build number I'm after, for instance: 6.5.5.439 for Workbench, or 6.2.0.287 for MTiX.)

I suspect you may be using an outdated version of MTiX.

Best regards,
Ralf

mar cel
English to Slovak
TOPIC STARTER
Exact versions: Feb 17, 2005

Workbench 6.5.2.417, Multiterm 6.0.1.209. But my previous information concerning administrator wasn't correct - under his rights it works - I am trying to look around and to check all the access rights.

Marcel

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Update strongly recommended Feb 17, 2005

Hi again,
You may want to upgrade your Workbench installation, but you definitely should upgrade MTiX.

Workbench 6.5.2.417

Build 417 is quite stable (I'm still using it myself), but the subsequent upgrade to 6.5.5.438/439 has several advantages, particularly when handling Unicode.

Multiterm 6.0.1.209

This first version of MTiX has several shortcomings, particularly regarding the lack of conversion tools (MT Convert was introduced with 6.2.0.267 - the previous conversion utility doesn't support conversion from MS Excel, for instance). Check this article from the Trados KB for details.

Best regards,
Ralf

patrikm
English to Czech
Installation process Feb 18, 2005

Hi,
Trados recomended to install Multiterm before Workbench. In case that you translate to Slovak be sure that you use Workbench version 6.5.5 instead 6.5.2.
Only version 6.5.5 hasn't problems with eastern european languages.

Patrik

mar cel
English to Slovak
TOPIC STARTER
on trados and admin rights Feb 23, 2005

So hi,

I played about with rights on my PC and found:

I login into windows under ordinary user non-administrators rights (security reasons).

If I want to have all Trados stuff working, I need to start Word, Workbench and Multiterm under administrator rights (option "Run As" in the program shortcuts).
I can't avoid this as Trados use the Windows registry HCU.

This is the only way I can set it up. Not pleasant, but works.

Windows 2000, Office 2000, TWorkbench 6.5.5.438, Multitterm 6.0.1.209

mar cel
English to Slovak
TOPIC STARTER
Word - Quick Entry to Termbase - more fields input? Feb 23, 2005

Hi,

I worked previously with WordFast and during translation I used to add new terms consisting of three fields - source term, target term, and commentary. My comments usually consist of alternative terms, and so on.

During work with Trados in Word I open an input window "MultiTerm Quick Entry to Termbase" called by macro added by MT but the accessible fields are only as follows:
source term,
target term and
a pair of picklist fields.

My termbase input and layout models include Note field, which is set mandatory.
And from the Multiterm environment it is impossible to save editing without filling the field Note, so I think everything in MT is, perhaps, created properly.

But through the Word macro window "MultiTerm Quick Entry to Termbase" it accepts only source+target and goes away. And when checking through MultiTerm I see the new term added but with empty, although mandatory, field Note.

Did I omit something?
Thank you for any idea.

Marcel

(Windows 2000, Office 2000, TWorkbench 6.5.5.438, Multitterm 6.0.1.209)

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Get the latest MT version... Feb 23, 2005

Hi again,

As pointed out before - you're using an outdated MTiX version, which even Trados admits to containing bugs and functional shortcomings. One of the most notable issues is the conversion tool, which was improved with MT 6.2.x.

Best, Ralf

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Just one attribute when capturing terms in Word Feb 23, 2005

Did I omit something?

No, you didn't; the restriction to a single attribute field is by design.

Best, Ralf

mar cel
English to Slovak
TOPIC STARTER
advantages of Trados over Wordfast? Feb 23, 2005

Hi,
thank you for your prompt answer, I shall update MT in near future.

I would like to now - what are the main advantages of using Trados when compared to Wordfast? What are the opinions of experienced Trados users?

(As for me: 80% of the originals I translate are Word, 15% Acrobat pdfs and the rest Excel files.)

Thank you.
Marcel

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Please open a new thread Feb 23, 2005

Hi again,
I would like to now - what are the main advantages of using Trados when compared to Wordfast? What are the opinions of experienced Trados users?

As this leaves the original topic you posted, I would appreciate if you could post a new thread, in this form or in the Wordfast Support forum.

Thanks, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

not workting interface between MT Workstation and TW

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs