Is the SDL Trados 2007/2009/2011 deactivation process top secret?
Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 28, 2015

It didn't use to be - all you had to do was click on return licence, then reactivate it with the code on another machine. Now you click on the "Return license" button, and all it does is tell you the code. Yeah, right. No continuation. Nothing to click on to continue, unless you'd like to see a video of how to return the licence? Yes, but the video choice seems to be only for Studio 2014 and 2015 licences. You go into Help in Studio 2011 anyway, as the man tells you in the video (why do you sudd... See more
It didn't use to be - all you had to do was click on return licence, then reactivate it with the code on another machine. Now you click on the "Return license" button, and all it does is tell you the code. Yeah, right. No continuation. Nothing to click on to continue, unless you'd like to see a video of how to return the licence? Yes, but the video choice seems to be only for Studio 2014 and 2015 licences. You go into Help in Studio 2011 anyway, as the man tells you in the video (why do you suddenly have to be in the programme to disactivate the licence?), and disactivate it that way. Is that it? Who knows - still shows as available in licences. You open Studio 2009 and try to go to Help to do the same, but that option doesn't work. You don't even bother trying to return the licence for Trados 2007, and then you sit down and write this.

Why has it all got so complicated? How the hell do I return these three licences for a few hours until I reactivate them?

Mervyn

[Edited at 2015-11-28 12:33 GMT]
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found this ... Nov 29, 2015

... on a previous forum, the Licence Manager method, which I do remember now. Doesn't resemble the other instructions, though:

+++++
"To return your license so that you can use it on a different computer, please follow the instructions below:
• Go to the SDL License Manager
(Start > Programs > SDL International > [Product Name] > License Manager)
• Select View Activated Licenses
• Highlight the Fulfilment ID of the Activation code to enable the
... See more
... on a previous forum, the Licence Manager method, which I do remember now. Doesn't resemble the other instructions, though:

+++++
"To return your license so that you can use it on a different computer, please follow the instructions below:
• Go to the SDL License Manager
(Start > Programs > SDL International > [Product Name] > License Manager)
• Select View Activated Licenses
• Highlight the Fulfilment ID of the Activation code to enable the Return License button
• Once available click the Return License button and you will receive confirmation that the license is now available to use on another machine"

+++++

Which seems to have returned the licences OK.

Mervyn
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
This is only for "old" Trados 2007 ! Nov 30, 2015

Mervyn

Looking at the title of your post, I want to clarify that what you described only applies to the old Trados 2007 (Workbench) application, but not to the new Studio generation (2009-2011-2014-2015).

Studio uses a different system and returning the license is easy and works flawlessly (which it does also on 2007 as you found out on your second try:-)).

Walter

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK Nov 30, 2015

I take it back. Having said that, Trados 2007 only let me reinstall it as a trial version for 30 days. After 30 days I imagine it'll ask for the code. It only asked for the "licence" itself while installing. Not that it matters - I haven't used it for ages, nor does anyone ask for it to be used.

Mervyn

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Trados 2007 does not have a "trial period" Nov 30, 2015

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I take it back. Having said that, Trados 2007 only let me reinstall it as a trial version for 30 days. After 30 days I imagine it'll ask for the code. It only asked for the "licence" itself while installing. Not that it matters - I haven't used it for ages, nor does anyone ask for it to be used.

Mervyn

Trados 2007 demo mode works differently, it does not give you all features for a trial period, instead it limits the size of the TMs you can open.
This means that it is not going to ask you about a code. IF it is not licensed and therefore running in demo mode, it will simply not allow you to open TMs above a certain size (I don't remember what it is, sorry - too long ago, but it is quite small).

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the SDL Trados 2007/2009/2011 deactivation process top secret?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »