Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation
Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 18, 2005

Hi,

I did a job using T-Window for Excel (Trados Freelance versión 6.5) as requested by the client. I have been asked for the unclean file, but as far as I know T-Window for Excel doesn't produce an unclean file.... Am I right?

I only have a prj file.... is this like an unclean file?

Any prompt reply will be appreciated as I need to answer the client very urgently.

Thanks in advance.

Cecilia

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:02
English to German
+ ...
No unclean files in T-Window for Excel Feb 18, 2005

Hi Cecilia,
You are right: there are no unclean files in T-Window for Excel.

But if you have T6.5, why didn't you use TagEditor? I suspect your customer is after the .ttx file.

Best regards,
Ralf

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Next time I will use Tag Editor Feb 18, 2005

Hi Ralf,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I should have used Tag Editor but I guess I forgot I have this option with version 6.5.

One small question, Is there any way I can "export" the prj file into a txt file or something similar....

Well, in any case thanks for confirming my assumption.

Have a nice evening.

Cecilia

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
The .prj file only contains the project properties and settings Feb 18, 2005

Hi again,
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I should have used Tag Editor but I guess I forgot I have this option with version 6.5.

Well, since you have the translation in your TM, you could run it through TagEditor, in order to provide your customer with a .ttx file, which is bilingual.

One small question, Is there any way I can "export" the prj file into a txt file or something similar....

TBH I don't know, but it wouldn't help you, really, as it only contains the project settings.

Best regards,
Ralf

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 18, 2005

Hi again Ralf,

Thank you so much for your solution ! Much appreciated.

Regards,

Cecilia

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:02
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
You can align the 2 Excel files... or run it thru TE to create a ttx file Feb 18, 2005

Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation wrote:

Cecilia,

you can align the 2 Excel files with WinAlign and then export the aligned project into a text file. (It'll be a bit of extra work, but it'll give you a bilingual file.)

My other suggestion, since you've already translated the file, would be to run the Excel file through TagEditor and then translate to fuzzy. All the segments should be in the TM, although you might need to place some tags. If it's not too long a file, that should be fairly quick. If it were me, I think I'd try this first.

[Edited at 2005-02-18 20:16]

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 21, 2005

Thanks Ulrike and Ralf for your solutions. At the end, the client was not bothered about the txt file anymore! =) But I know now how to deal with Excel files properly next time.

Cheers.

Cecilia

Eve Schuttle (X)
Eve Schuttle (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
unclean files Mar 8, 2005

Hi Ralf,

I searched the forum but could not find an answer to my question.

Can an unclean file be saved as a word document and send as such to the client if the client did not specify a specific format of the unclean file?

You mentioned .ttx format. If the unclean file is saved as a word document how do I change it to an .ttx file?

Eve

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Mixing up formats...? Mar 8, 2005

Hi Eve,

I searched the forum but could not find an answer to my question.

TBH I'm not 100% certain as to what the question is.

Would it perhaps be useful to post a new topic?

Can an unclean file be saved as a word document and send as such to the client if the client did not specify a specific format of the unclean file?

The best thing to do if a client fails to specify the format for delivery is to ask about it.

You mentioned .ttx format. If the unclean file is saved as a word document how do I change it to an .ttx file?

First of all, this topic refers to Excel files. If you're working with Trados in MS Word, the Word file remains 'unclean' until you clean it up. Formats handled with TagEditor are stored in TTX, but that doesn't apply to Word.

Please feel free to formulate your query in a new topic (don't forget to indicate the software versions you're using).

Best regards,
Ralf

Eve Schuttle (X)
Eve Schuttle (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Trados 6.5 Freelance - unclean files Mar 14, 2005

Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unclean files in T-Window for Excel?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »