Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:38
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 20, 2005

Hi everyone,
I just bought a new notebook and have been trying to download Trados 6.5 Freelance (which I have on my other computer). I saved the license to my computer and then I proceeded to download the workbench installtion. I set up the function where it sends me and e-mail to say if it has downloaded correctly or not. I have three e-mails now saying that it was downloaded correctly but when I go to look for C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL (as stated in the Getting Stated Manual) it's
... See more
Hi everyone,
I just bought a new notebook and have been trying to download Trados 6.5 Freelance (which I have on my other computer). I saved the license to my computer and then I proceeded to download the workbench installtion. I set up the function where it sends me and e-mail to say if it has downloaded correctly or not. I have three e-mails now saying that it was downloaded correctly but when I go to look for C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL (as stated in the Getting Stated Manual) it's not there. I've done a search for it and I get these Trados.pf files which I can't open (even with Stuffit). I do get the prompt to run the program and I click okay. Then it wants to unzip several hundred file but I can't seem to get to the Installation Wizard. I've been on page 2-6 of the instructions for the last hour and haven't even attempted to download the MultiTerm component yet. I hope that I am explaining this all clearly because I am certainly (as made obvious by this post) not a computer expert. Any help that anyone can give is greatly appreciated and I apologize if this has been asked before. (I did a search but couldn't find a similiar query.) Thanks!
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
There should be a guide on the download page Feb 20, 2005

I believe you have to install the Multiterm package first. Do you have enough free space on your harddisc?
After download the recieved files have to be run, this should work automatically. It can take some time depending on the speed of your equipment.
Hope someone can help you better!
Regards
Heinrich

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:38
English to German
+ ...
Folder is created during installation Feb 20, 2005

Hi,
Which operating system are you using on your notebook?

I just bought a new notebook and have been trying to download Trados 6.5 Freelance (which I have on my other computer). I saved the license to my computer and then I proceeded to download the workbench installtion. I set up the function where it sends me and e-mail to say if it has downloaded correctly or not.

Which folder did you select for download?

I have three e-mails now saying that it was downloaded correctly but when I go to look for C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL (as stated in the Getting Stated Manual) it's not there.

Are you referring to the program folder? If so, I'm not surprised that you cannot find it, as it's created during installation.

I've done a search for it and I get these Trados.pf files which I can't open (even with Stuffit).

The download file is called Build_6.5.5.438_TRADOS_6.5_Freelance.zip - can you locate this? You should use WinZip to unzip it.

I do get the prompt to run the program and I click okay. Then it wants to unzip several hundred file but I can't seem to get to the Installation Wizard.

What you should do is to unzip the installation file into a temporary folder, from which you can execute setup.exe. The zip archive contains 600+ files.

HTH, Ralf

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try Feb 20, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I believe you have to install the Multiterm package first. Do you have enough free space on your harddisc?
After download the recieved files have to be run, this should work automatically. It can take some time depending on the speed of your equipment.
Hope someone can help you better!
Regards
Heinrich

I can try downloading the Multiterm first but the problem is that when the files run nothing is really happening. It says that they have been unzipped but when I go to search for them, they aren't anywhere. I'm positive I have enough free space. The computer just came out of the box the day before yesterday and there is nothing else on it. It'll try your suggestion though and let you know. Thanks!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Ralf has allready pointed this out Feb 20, 2005

But maybe I try to give you a small instruction (in general) how to download files from he Internet:

It is usefull to create a special "Download" directory on your HDD. To do so, open Windows Explorer, select the HDD where you wish to download files (ie D:\), then go to the menu File, select New and Select "Directory". Give it a meaningfull name (ie DOWNLOAD).
When you wish to download a file with Internet Explorer (it is what I use, but this should work similar with other bro
... See more
But maybe I try to give you a small instruction (in general) how to download files from he Internet:

It is usefull to create a special "Download" directory on your HDD. To do so, open Windows Explorer, select the HDD where you wish to download files (ie D:\), then go to the menu File, select New and Select "Directory". Give it a meaningfull name (ie DOWNLOAD).
When you wish to download a file with Internet Explorer (it is what I use, but this should work similar with other browsers) right click the link to file download (or the download button) and select "Save target as..." Navigate to your newly created directory. The file will be saved there.
After the download is finished, IE usually asks you, if you wish to open the file. If you get such question, say "Open the file". WinZip should start than automatically. Select "Unzip" or "Extract" files, give a directory you wish them unzipped to, and - VERY IMPORTANT - check the "Use folder names" function. If you fail to do so, you will not be able to install anything.
After the files are unzipped go to the directory you uzipped them and run setup. That works.

When downloading such big files as Trados it is also advisable to use download manager, such as GetRight for example. You can obtain a free test version of GetRight here.
This helps you to manage the download and to find downloaded files.

HTH
Jerzy

PS
What you are describing, ie the files are downloaded and unzipped but cannot be found anywhere, seems to be a bug. I remember longer time ago to have the same problem. When using "Save as" the problem did not occur anymore. Maybe your Internet Explorer or Winzip are out of date?

[Edited at 2005-02-20 16:13]
Collapse

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Success!!! Feb 20, 2005

[quote]Ralf Lemster wrote:

Which operating system are you using on your notebook?

What you should do is to unzip the installation file into a temporary folder, from which you can execute setup.exe. The zip archive contains 600+ files. [quote]

Got it! Thank you. In case anyone else sees this post, I am using XP Professional and the problem was that I was clicking on unzip but not open with winzip. The program said that it had unzipped all of the 600+ files but since I hadn't unzipped with winzip it wasn't opening and the program file wasn't under the C drive. When I went back and used the winzip function I found the folder and have been able to install it. You have no idea how happy this makes me!!
Thanks to everyone.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
That's why I asked about your OS Feb 20, 2005

Glad it works now.

I am using XP Professional and the problem was that I was clicking on unzip but not open with winzip.

Which is a common issue.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot download Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »