Thread poster: Teresa Filipuzzi
Teresa Filipuzzi
Teresa Filipuzzi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:32
Russian to Italian
+ ...
Feb 22, 2005

I finally decided to buy Trados (Freelance 6.5). Can any Russian translator confirm me if the basic package enables to work with Russian/cyrillic? Sorry if the question was already posted in the past.
Teresa

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I can confirm you, thak it works without ANY problems for Polish Feb 22, 2005

And as Polish uses Unicode, you should be able to work with Russian too (very generally speaking).
However, as allways there are certain limitations. Trados does not do the work on itself, but needs some preparation. Provided you will start with translating Word files (which is the most likely case), you should pay big attention to the formatting of your document, in particular to language and font settings. Should there be a mismatch between the actuall document and the language you trans
... See more
And as Polish uses Unicode, you should be able to work with Russian too (very generally speaking).
However, as allways there are certain limitations. Trados does not do the work on itself, but needs some preparation. Provided you will start with translating Word files (which is the most likely case), you should pay big attention to the formatting of your document, in particular to language and font settings. Should there be a mismatch between the actuall document and the language you translate into (ie. document formatted in English and Russian as target langaue not set in styles and in document), you can run into some issues.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2005-02-22 12:44]
Collapse

Igor Kreknin
Igor Kreknin  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:32
English to Russian
+ ...
yes, it can. No problems with EN/RU Feb 22, 2005

But you may have huge problems if you plan to use it for the Russian/Italian pair (Unicode). These problems are tipical for many Russian translators. (only one example (in Latvian): http://www.proz.com/topic/29547 )

In this case I can recommend Metatexis or Deja Vu X for this (RU/IT) purpose. They use Unicode more correctly than Trados (this is the main reason why I use M
... See more
But you may have huge problems if you plan to use it for the Russian/Italian pair (Unicode). These problems are tipical for many Russian translators. (only one example (in Latvian): http://www.proz.com/topic/29547 )

In this case I can recommend Metatexis or Deja Vu X for this (RU/IT) purpose. They use Unicode more correctly than Trados (this is the main reason why I use Metatexis).

P.S. Sorry, it was my huge mistake:

I forgot the Italian language didn't use Unicode

So, no problems with IT/RU, too.

Sorry

[Edited at 2005-02-22 13:10]
Collapse

Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Confirmation Feb 22, 2005

Since the latest update (Build 439) Trados has been the uttermost choice for preparing any file Russian into German.

I cannot report any problem whatsoever. One hint for you to observe: Go to the workbench menu Maintenance and search through your existing translation memory. Make sure, every single segment looks the way you prefer it to be.

HTH
Carsten

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS and Russian

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »